WooT!

83 replies [Last post]

How good are you with animations? If it's as good as your concept art, it'll be like Braid.

Yeah, epic artwork there, man. Good luck to you on your game-making!

Well Puggsoy,

I KNOW how to make good animations like castle crashers (I practically learned from watching Dan Paladin) but I don't know HOW to make them. Like the frames and stuff. I am still learning, you know.

Yes that concept art would be very similar to in game graphics. I say similar because I feel like the head size and shape is a little off at some areas, same with the body. My actual drawings on paper are correct, but when I trace on screen, doesn't come out right for some reason.

And MOM4Evr,

Thanks!

Ah. You're using Flash CS3 or better?

Look at the timeline at the top of the screen. Click to the right of the existing frame.

Now go to Insert > Timeline > Blank Keyframe.

Draw the next frame, and so on.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I have the full Adobe Master Collection CS5. Stop crying, wallet!

Guys look what I came across:

http://i54.tinypic.com/23lgprs.png

this is the kind of texture and feel I am aiming for in the long run. Shaped like Castle Crashers, but feels like a painterly style of Braid.

I am pretty confident about how my things will look. But how to get it all look like that... especially the terrain... that is my biggest struggle and tutorials and stuff won't help D:

Albino Pokey! (do those even exist? Shock) Your pretty experienced with Photoshop. Do you know what kind of brushes they used to make the grass in here:

http://withfriendship.com/images/i/40654/braid-more-fun-than-calculus.jpg

and the rock stuffs in here:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/822/822327/braid-20070...

because I looked all over photoshop and apparently none of the brushes can get those kind of splotches that defined. Is it the regular round brush modified?

1) Sorry, I meant in Flash. In Photoshop you need to show the Frames panel, by going to Window>Frames. Then just hide different layers in different frames (a frame just stores which layers are on or off at that moment). Then "Export for Web and Devices" to make an animated GIF, or export directly to Flash.

2) I'd say they rendered green clouds, then took the Liquify filter and just pulled it in one direction over and over with a small round brush.

3) Probably just a small round brush with 50% hardness, dabbed over and over and over. This one I am not sure about.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

WHEW getting some art finished. Is it okay if I open up a new thread in off topic to post art in? Perhaps people can use it in their WoG levels.

I would also like to show you guys my progress Laughing out loud

If we would be able to use it in WoG mods that would be AWESOME.

>Is it okay if I open up a new thread in off topic to post art in?
Dude, of course.

>If we would be able to use it in WoG mods that would be AWESOME.
:eeyup:

or I can just upload mods that contain pics Tongue

@Howitz Nope. We wouldn't approve picture-only mods.

Why not?

Same reason we don't approve Goo-Ball-only mods. There's no point in something if you aren't going to use it someplace.

Okay so new off-topic area. Will be a week before I get my stuff together.

why?

Spongebob rulez too Crown Crown Crown Crown

Back

MOM4Evr wrote:
Same reason we don't approve Goo-Ball-only mods. There's no point in something if you aren't going to use it someplace.

To be honest, I find that a bit of a stupid lame peculiar rule. People should be able to make GooBalls and allow other people to use them in their own levels. I mean, maybe nobody does, but in my opinion GooBall-only mods have as much "use" as any other GooBall mod (i.e. WoGCorp and replacements).

Right. I agree completely. The problem is this sort of thing can get way out of hand.
I'm just following what Daft said here: http://goofans.com/forum/world-of-goo/modding/1572 and I completely agree with him. The problem is that people will create new Goo Balls and not use them ever anywhere. All the Goo-Ball-only addins that I've seen requested so far are noncreative and nonimaginative. I personally have absolutely no qualms with addins that're like Albino Pokey's Goo Ball Library or such. A whole bunch of really creative, neat Goo Balls all packaged into one addin is cool. A single Goo Ball that only has a new image and has the same attributes as the original common Goo Ball isn't. And that's all I've seen so far. More mods akin to Albino Pokey's Goo Ball Library are fine.

So in light of this, I take my former statement back. If someone creates a bunch of awesome art assets and compiles them into a single .goomod for people to use easily, that's cool by me. I would caution just jumping in to create such a .goomod, however. What I think would be best would be to create a forum topic for such artwork, and compile a .goomod of the best artwork after a good amount has been collected. That way we get the best of all worlds.

Sorry I didn't think this through before posting my original comment.

Qwsx, "why?"
What you mean why? If its the other "why" I'm thinking of, your answer is below where MOM says so. If you mean "why a week", I'm not god or magic. Takes time to create things, yes?

MOM4Evr,

Well I wanted to use a MOD because you can post screenshots with it, so I can show each individual piece.

Side_Note,

I will be using Photoshop CS5 (who wants Flash Art in a goo level? O_o)

Howitz: Yes, I understand. But if you could make a forum thread first, and post the artwork in that thread, and then compile the artwork into one .goomod after you have a lot, that would be even better.

@howitz: i mean "Why so fast?"
@MOM4Er: why it must a .goomod? why don't create a .zip instead?

Spongebob rulez too Crown Crown Crown Crown

Back

Well, admittedly, a .zip would work too. But you have to have special permission from davidc to upload non-goomod files. Whatever works, really.

And a .goomod is just a .zip with a different extension anyway, so you can just rename it and open it in whatever. Or not even rename, I just open .goomods with 7-zip's right-click menu Laughing out loud

Or just single-click to open for me, as most Linux file managers recognize file types no matter what the extension. Smile

But that doesn't always work. Even though Microsoft Word .docx files are really XML, you wouldn't want to open them with...whatever Linux text editor you use.

Yep, true. Which is why .docx files are opened with LibreOffice Writer. Smile

Btw, .docx files are really .zip files with XML inside, not straight XML.

Btw2: I use KDE, so my default text editor is Kate.

Ah. My default Linux text editor is VI.

I may need to upgrade sometime.

It should be preferred to make a .goomod of an image library, and say in the description what location you have it in. Such as override/res/HowitzLibrary

People could put your goomod as a dependancy in their addins.

Well, whaddaya know. I CAN link to images. How silly of me.

lol!

gah this tablet is gonna cost me almost $400 stupid @#%$^@#&@^#&@ blah dollars

How am I supposed to afford upcoming games?!?!?!? D:

(well I do have priorities)

Double Post! :3

Yeah, new games are always a priority. Wink

Or you could try to get a discount. Maybe look for the same tablet on other sites? Possibly even get one used?