Just because you CAN, doesn't mean that you SHOULD!

26 replies [Last post]

Right, before this gets WAY out of hand, and since davidc's away for a while so we won't be getting an "official" policy post or and anything regarding a possible new "Sandbox" category anytime soon...

Here's a few guidelines / suggestions / thoughts regarding the current situation and various types of add-in.

What follows does not (necessarily) reflect the views, opinions, policies or other vague rantings of goofans.com, its creator or the moderators. They can rant for themselves.

First a few definitions... so that we're all on the same page.

"Normal" Level
A level which can be completed, has a pipe or similar, and takes a bit of thought or skill (or both) to complete.
"Test" Level / Chamber
A level which is very simple, and can be completed easily in a few moves. Usually these are created just to show off a new feature or a new ball type.
"Sandbox" Level
A level which is not designed to be "finished", and is just (or mainly) there so that people can "mess around" with lots of different types of goo balls.
"Original" Ball
Unchanged, unmodified ball type as supplied with the game
"Custom" Ball
A ball which is substantially different to any of the original balls, and serves a particular purpose in at least one normal level.
"Minor Revision" Ball
A ball which is almost identical to one of the originals, or an existing custom ball, with just one or two minor attribute changes. And has been made for no really good reason, just because it can and it didn't take very long to do.

Add-ins that we like

And will almost certainly published immediately providing they work, and look OK.
New and Interesting "Normal" Levels that use original balls only.
New Normal Levels (or a series of levels) which contain custom balls that were created by you
Theme Packs which make only graphical changes to the original balls and or levels
Graphical only changes to the WoG Corporation balls (Drained and DrainedISH)

Add-ins that are "OK", but we're not hugely keen on.

Yet-another-Sandbox
For those who don't know, the original "sandbox" levels were created when testing out ideas for levels was tricky, and annoying. So a "sandbox" was a great thing because you good just "mess about" with lots of different types of goo, and experiment with many of games features and concepts without having to beat your head against the XML or WogEdit.
Now WooGLE's "getting there" it's a lot easy and quicker to whip up a quick test level, add a load of goos of the types you're interested in, and really test your level concept before you go ahead and actually make it.
We've already got several very good "sandboxes", so is there really a need for a new one that contains a couple of extra dispensers for goo types that aren't that useful in the first place?

Dispensers are WEAK!
Pretty much dispensers for all the "useful" ball types already exist. Creating new versions of existing ones is already causing problems (see recent comments in momo's No-limits sandbox), and creating dispensers for "useless" Goos is (IMO) completely pointless.

Dispensers are only any use at all in a "sandbox" (see above). Using dispensers in "Normal" levels is almost always pointless and/or a bad idea, there's usually a more interesting way to complete the level using some original balls. If you can think of a really good level design where you NEED a dispenser, great, otherwise keep them out of normal levels.

Levels that use other users balls
We're OK with it, but you need to check its OK with the creator first and make sure they don't intend to make any changes in the near future. Otherwise we get different versions of the same ball in different addins... and that way madness lies.

Graphical changes to just one original ball (not WoG Corporation)
If you want to test a new look for a ball, please change one of the WoG Corporation balls, not Common or Ivy etc. Happy for "Theme Packs" to change pretty much anything, but if it's just a "one-off" or a test use Drained or DrainISH.

Add-ins that we don't like and probably won't ever be published (Sorry)

Ball only or Balls with a quick "Test Level"
If you CAN'T think of a good way to use your new ball, why did you make it? (see thread title)

We'd like to keep this site and the add-ins level driven, so if you've got an idea for a level, and it'll need a new ball to complete it.. fine! If you've designed a proper "custom" ball which you plan to use in some levels, and you want to see what people think first... OK, but make your "sample" level interesting, and not just a test.
DON'T just create a "Minor Revision" ball and a Test Chamber and upload like "Hey, look what I created in 2 minutes".

Ball Addins that just create balls
As I said above, we're trying to keep the site "level driven".. if you want to create a set or series of "custom" balls and use them in a number of levels (see inwog's Metal and Element levels).. that's fine.
But don't release the Ball Pack on its own, or with just a "test level" tacked on at the end.. so that it's got one.

Balls with the same name as an existing custom ball
We're already seeing problems created by 2 balls with the same names that are available from different users / addins. It's going be nearly impossible for us to police that, so you should make sure that no other ball already exists with the same name as the one you're making. If you want to be certain... just put your user name / initials are the first part of the name.
BUT we're also against duplicating balls... so UserA_PilotSP and UserB_PilotSP will be a problem.

All that being said....

I'm fully prepared to take reponsibility for "all this mess"... I mean I made WooBLE and released it with really thinking about what it might do or how people might use it. (Now where did I put those self-replicating nanites?)

Unfortunately it's been adopted quickly, and without guidance from "the old guard" it's been put to unwittingly diabolical use by many keen members.

Technical difficulties aside, if there's one thing you should remember it's this...
We, the mods, have been at this a while and like showing off.
We like levels.
We like innovation and interesting things to play with.
We like solving new problems.
We like collecting more goo, in less moves and faster than anyone else can.

We don't like intractable problems and constant hassle.. however innocently created.

Thanks for listening.
DaB Smile

Now... let the ranting / backlash / full-throated support(?) begin. Wink

*signed*

although this is not an "official statement", it's definatly front page worthy, me thinks.

| Fly Her to the Moon (with Antigravity Goo) | Infinitive Windows Freezer (unlimited Goo playground) |

Awwwww man.... seems that my dispensers might never be published.... Crying :cry: Crying

I'm playing Minecraft. My username is theMineMaster2. If you want to see my Cartoony mods updated, then be a Mac user and find a image editing program that isn't confusing for me Smile

How long did it take you to writwe this? Tongue A page this long and important is just ASKING to be signed! Put this in the document, please -> (Signed by James Tongue )

Say TGM, why don't you make a NEW sandbox level? Filling another sandbox with these might not be such a goo-d idea if you suddenly run out of space. We need a new Dispenser filled GooMaster Corporation.

*signed* with my blood fingerprint on it

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

I was already trying that out, James. Unfortunately, ExchangeGOOtent is making goo dispensers that I have already made but are published and come with their own level.

@Pavke

Seriously, that's gross...

I'm playing Minecraft. My username is theMineMaster2. If you want to see my Cartoony mods updated, then be a Mac user and find a image editing program that isn't confusing for me Smile

One question about the minor revisions...both JingleBalls and one of my levels rely on a slightly modified version of Ivy that doesn't burn. Is that okay, since it's essential to be able to complete the level?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

@AP
If you make a custom goo ball that you need and use in your level, it doesn't matter.
It would only be a proplem if you just make such a ball to publish it, without a proper level.

| Fly Her to the Moon (with Antigravity Goo) | Infinitive Windows Freezer (unlimited Goo playground) |

Ok, I won't try to get anymore of my stupid ideas published. (Most of my ideas are stupid) I will try to come up with levels with my own custom balls.
-Nalar

Hey, Albino Pokey's Ball Library was published, why isn't my Goo Dispensers??? I'm trying to make a sandbox for those, too! The test level is just there for testing purposes until I get the sandbox done... and when I finish making Sandbox versions of certain balls for the dispensers.

{Edit: Off Topic removed - Please start a new thread to ask Ball Editing Questions}

This is kinda unfare Sad
that means Tacomann's SUPER Gooball Vault will never be published Sad

(edit)
Can I make a mod that gives out animations?
that also includes a level to SHOW the animations?

TM13's View of the World of Goo: PART 1 is now out!

(I now go by ENDESGA)

No animations either... because GooTool and Goovie don't use same xml format... wait till next GooTool comes out

GROSS, PAVKE!!!
NEW ONE IS LAUNCHED!!!!

Spongebob rulez too Crown Crown Crown Crown

Back

Getting angry at Moderators is no way to ask for something. Wink

qwsx wrote:
GROSS, PAVKE!!!
NEW ONE IS LAUNCHED!!!!

Nooo, GooTool 1.0.3 is out and it's not new.

new one is 1.1.0 and it isn't yet available.

Hmm, I was making a custom animation for my sequel "keep on running" and it´s just working fine.
It´s in the override folder of my goomod and it´s not an .xml file.
But i´ll take it out or wait till new gootool vers. is available.

goomatz wrote:

It´s in the override folder of my goomod and it´s not an .xml file.

Well, that's the point, davidc and Daft agreed that animations and movies should go in compile folder, not override because GooTool would handle porting animations to different OS so you don't have to include three different animations/movies in override folder for three different OS.

At the moment GooTool doesn't have animation/movie encryption but it will have in the next version when Daft and davidc agree on xml format

But it's only 2 files...binltl and binltl64. They don't seem like they take up too much space when compressed.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

@Albino Pokey

Talk to davidc. He made the rules.

Please, tell me how to rewrite with a computer on my page on goofans.com addin

What do you mean? Do you mean editing the addin info? Try the EDIT tab at the top. Smile

rewrite what?
If its your addin you wanna publish, do what AP said to do

(I now go by ENDESGA)

wow... I found some of my old savefiles for WoG on my old driver...
'back then I was seriously obsest with WoG, and i played it 24/7'
I changed the name of the one that i played.. I played for 10 days! ,thats insane.. the other one was 6 days or something....

its amazing what i find in that drive Tongue
-Tacomann

p.s.all this was kinda off topic....

(I now go by ENDESGA)

For my level "Happy Birthday" I use a new animation: airflow right, it works fine! BTW: Am I the one who started the dispenser idea or was it someone else???

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

Momo, please don't bring back old posts. This one dates back about a month ago!

But in responce, glad to see the animation works well.

And the dispenser idea came from Kyle. See the "MOM" level. Wink

Oh, sorry, I never look at the dates!

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

Um, to tell, just post on topics that are on the first or second pages of either the tracker or forum.