Site popularity, and how to increase it.

14 replies [Last post]

As some of you older goo-fan members might know, there used to be more members. I personally haven't been here that long, but I have heard from older members that the site used to be more popular. And I know that we still have users, but unless we get new users faster then we lose them, we aren't going to have time to finish the game, because everyone will have left the site. We need to fix this, but how?
I personally think that letting people on other forums know about our upcoming game would help, but they might think it's spam. Put some suggestions on how to raise site popularity, so we can keep it going.

Yamaco! - Every Gooball ever
Computer! Y U get virus?

Actually, the site's popularity fluctuates a lot. At the moment lots of people are finishing exams and going on vacation, so it's decreasing.

I personally leave for Hawai'i on Friday, so I'll be gone for a week then.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Don´t fool yourself Albino, the site lost too many users the last year.
Maybe because World of goo is(In fact) a old game

Hey You!
Start the fun and Install the fan made CHAPTER 6: MOON OF GOO

It's only a couple of years old, but yeah, it's not as shiny & new like it used to be.

Honestly, there wasn't much difference back then. In the past, there were way more forum posts, but it was usually "I have an error/issue" or "Can someone tell me how to make a level?"

Tongue

lolwut? There's the same amount of active users now as there has been for the whole time I've been here. The forum's actually quite a bit more active now than it was last year at about this time, since everyone stopped coming online over summer. I used to only have a page or so of unread posts if I left for a week; there's that much now if I don't come on for a couple of days. There may not be quite as many active users, but really it's not at all any less active than it's ever been. A few people left, a few joined. And as AP said, it fluctuates a bit anyway. Nothing to complain about.

In fact, iirc there was a forum topic in the last year saying about the same thing as this topic does; nothing came of it.

Heck, if you think this forum's dead, try the bit-blot forum on for size. Tongue

Don´t comfort yourself Mom4ever, we have the potential to grow the website, Its internet.

Hey You!
Start the fun and Install the fan made CHAPTER 6: MOON OF GOO

Indeed, as MOM said, we talked about this before. You can go publicize the site on other forums if you want, but most people who want a forum about WoG will find this by themselves anyway.
It's not that big a deal anyway, I think this forum has an OK size. I mean, thenoobtester joined recently, so you can't say that nobody's joining. Sure, it's not as large as other forums, but remember what it's about: a single game. Most forums are based around a certain genre or series of games, so there's naturally a larger audience. But that's nothing to worry about, as long as we have people here who love WoG, and people are making addins, that's really all that matters.

thenoobtester wrote:
we aren't going to have time to finish the game

thenoobtester wrote:
letting people on other forums know about our upcoming game

What game? NotWoG2? That's practically dead. I'm making a total conversion myself though (kinda slow progress atm), so I'll probably tell people about that on another forum I visit regularly.

If you noticed, the official Minecraft forum is 1000 bigger than goofans but, I visit this site every day because I like this game, I like friendly members, I like this site and minecraftforum doesn't have this attributes. And we have plenty of users too Smile

G0o-gle wrote:
Don´t comfort yourself Mom4ever, we have the potential to grow the website, Its internet.

Wat?

I'm not comforting anybody. I'm stating fact and being a jerk. If you find that comforting... Tongue

Of course every site has potential to grow. Personally, I'd rather have a few well-behaved nice users (like we have currently) who make awesome addins that we take too long to publish than a bunch of annoying newbies who have no idea what's going on and treat every forum they come across like twitter or Facebook.

As for Minecraft, heck yeah it's more popular than World of Goo. Probably about 1000 times more popular, so it's no surprise the numbers of forum members reflects that. I'm fairly surprised the fad hasn't died out by now, but whatever. In any case, who cares? We can spam everybody we know to join, but they'll only join if they want to. Chances are a lot of the people who wanted to join the forum already have already. More will probably trickle in as the years pass, but really there's a decent number of people for how old the game is. Especially since it's an indie game.

Minecraft has ~30,000,000 people signed up (probably only 20,000,000 accounting duplicate accounts) and ~6,000,000 purchases.

I'm not sure what the exact number is, but World of Goo got more than a million sales on the App Store over about 2 years time. Try to guess how many sales it got by now, and that's not even accounting for all of the platforms it's on!

Basically, Minecraft has had something under six times as many purchases as WoG, but the fan-base is obviously much larger.

Oh, but 80% of people who have WoG have pirated it, so doing that math leads us to...approx. 5,000,000 iTunes downloads (estimated, but using 2DBOY's statistics) and with 70,000 Android Market purchases, that's about 350,000 more. Account for the several hundred thousand purchases on WiiWare and Steam, and it comes out to be loads more than the Minecraft purchase count. Although, the count of 20,000 (estimated again) users of the Classic version, Minecraft probably has about something from twice to three times as many fans as World of Goo.

Definitely not 1000x. Tongue

Well, that's not really a completely fair comparison, because people in the iOS market have a different mindset than others. I would imagine the chances of someone joining a forum for an iPhone game they bought would be around nil. But fair point.

I was just talking about the statement you made about Minecraft's fan base being much larger than WoG's.

I really just wanted to do some math. Tongue

sploder has like 100,000. some left and never came back for years. there's like 50-100 online every hour.

thenoobtester wrote:
As some of you older goo-fan members might know, there used to be more members. I personally haven't been here that long, but I have heard from older members that the site used to be more popular. And I know that we still have users, but unless we get new users faster then we lose them, we aren't going to have time to finish the game, because everyone will have left the site. We need to fix this, but how?
I personally think that letting people on other forums know about our upcoming game would help, but they might think it's spam. Put some suggestions on how to raise site popularity, so we can keep it going.

Well, i just saw this post,but i think the site is quite popular. I mean every day i see 4-5 people with their "been a member for"
status being no more than 3 - 12 min. New people are joining every day!

Because writing signatures is too mainstream

Indeed. However this is an old thread.

Lock Smile