Goofans Game Discussion

809 replies [Last post]

Hey Gooballs! Welcome to the team!

1. We're planning to have puzzles. These puzzles may involve getting hurt.

2. What do you think this is, COD?

3. I think the direction we're taking so far is something along the lines of Cave Story or Aquaria, serene and peaceful scenes yet full of action at the same time. Rock music might not fit that theme.

Ok, nevermind about the Rock music, but I've never played or heard of Cave Story or Aquaria so I'm a little lost. But I am certain I can write the music for it. By the way, how far have you all got on it and are you ready for any music yet?

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

Music wouldn't hurt. Cave Story music is simple, yet amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NDnnZD2ZWpA#t=92s

So far, everyone is pretty much doing tons of brainstorming on the forums. Not much else.

I'm coding the engine and posting builds every now and then.

Whoa...Cave Story is free? I might play it now!

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

AP. Seriously!?

Isn't it free? I previously thought it cost money. Then I visited the website, looking for a demo, and found the full download.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

MOM, I'm having a little trouble with STL. I'm too tired to figure it out now, so I uploaded it.

Download here.

I've cleaned main.cpp of errors by moving the cleanup function to the xml.cpp... (the errors simply jumped to that file)

I might glance at it in the morning.

it looks just like build 4.

-_-

Kirdneh, that was the code. Read the post.

...??? Is that either Illegal Advertising or Spam or what? AP and Red You might wanna check those out...

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

It's spam. Don't comment on spam, just report it in the "Idea about Spam" thread.

Hows everything goin?

Well you haven't commented in a while but as an update: I'm now going to compose the music and certain people who can play instruments are gonna play the parts, record them and Red's going to merge them into a single track for the game.

The link to the other forum discussing the orchestra is here: http://goofans.com/forum/goofans/goofans-game/3141#comment-27498

Apologies for the late reply, Red. Here's it fixed, I think:
EDIT: See link below

I built this on Linux, since I was too lazy to reboot to Windows, so let me know if there's any troubles. I fixed all the compiletime errors (Just some linker errors left because Linux linking is set up slightly differently; which is why I didn't test it fully) that showed up for me, so you should be good to go, runtime errors aside. Smile

It's good to know you're still alive! Laughing out loud Thanks. This looks good. I'll try compiling on Windows in an hour or two when I get back to my laptop. I'll let you know how it handles.

EDIT: I'm having a little trouble opening the archive. Try it yourself. It might just be this old dinosaur I'm using, but I think WinRAR is up-to-date on it.

EDIT2: The version of Firefox was 4.0 Tongue Trying to download an exe file didn't work either, so I'll try with Chrome.

EDIT3: Nope, it's the zip. Try it yourself. I'll try on my other computer later.

Bah, hate it when zipped archives do that. Might be too big for the server or something. Try this one; it's the source code only:
http://www.mom4evr.net16.net/files/zippedengine.zip

*tries out himself* Yep, it works for me.

Thanks. The zip works, and I've changed some things to make it better for Windows, but it won't display any images anymore. I'll try some other things to check.

Yay! More progress on the game!! I'm kinda stuck on writing the main menu music right now... I've got this epicly grand and sonorous intro, but I need some inspiration... any ideas?

I thought we were going for simple and mellow. Tongue

RedTheGreen wrote:
I thought we were going for simple and mellow. Tongue

It IS a simple intro! The only challenge is I'm trying to come up with a theme after that and I'm stuck... so any ideas? And it doesn't have to be mellow ALL the time, just at certain parts! Tongue Laughing out loud

I have one. I'll email you.

don't forget to email me!
can any body play the ocarina? THAT would be a cool main menu song.

-_-

OH! That would be!! Or Pan Flutes! But no one I know can!

what about mixer5?
hey red, does mixer5 have ocarina?

-_-

No! But The program I'm using to write the music: Finale 2011 has ocinara... i think and it also has pan flutes!! so I can add the part but it would be synthesized and not really played through a person.

Mixcraft has Ocarina/Pan Flute.

It would be better to have a live person play them. I'll see if I can find somebody.

By the way, my friend Aereaux (he comes on the minecraft server occasionally) plays cello, I'll see if I can get him to help.

Great idea!

RedTheGreen wrote:
but it won't display any images anymore.

MOM4Evr wrote:
runtime errors aside

Tongue

Yeah, sorry, as I said, I didn't have time to see if it actually worked or not.
*looks at code again*
Ah, I see prollem. Two things that jump out at me off the bat:
1-The SDL_Surface in each img struct is left uninitialized. So drawing it does nothing at all. In xml.cpp, say line 45 or so, add an IMG_Load to load the "path" attribute. Something like:

temporaryL.surface = IMG_Load((char*)temporaryL.path.c_str());

2-Something complicated involving shallow copies vs. deep copies and not using the heap with dynamic memory allocation. I thought it through and hopefully it won't cause any issues, but let me know if the above fix doesn't do anything or causes crashes.

Oh, and if you do run into crashes and stuff in a program, F8 in Code::Blocks is your friend. It'll tell you what line of code the game crashed on if you've got the build target set to "Debug". Very very nice.