Goofans Game Discussion

809 replies [Last post]

Oops. Sorry 'bout that. And about that demo thing, I ordered a copy of World of Goo off of Amazon (thank you, Amazon) and it will come by wednesday. It's a box case copy. Will that work?

Everybody, Everybody!

Please, post this is another thread, or make your own. Any further unrelated posts will be deleted.

I agree. Game art should be worked on.

Character art specifically first, right?

And maybe a few platforms and blocks and things for testing the physics engine.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I personally like seeing development videos for different games. Vessel and Braid, for example, started out with static Mario sprites that they used for testing purposes. And they looked REALLY lame. Don't get me wrong, artwork is important and all that. Very important. And you can definitely draw inspiration from really great artwork, like Wexxes draws. But don't let lack of artwork stop you from progressing on a game. Draw blocks if you don't have anything else. Rip artwork from games you like. Use Box2D's builtin physics drawing API, and make your levels look like visualdebug draws from World of Goo. Draw random weird drawings in Paint that look crappy, like the original WOG levels. But just work on the game. Artwork can always be drawn or changed later. Vessel's artwork, for example, is PHENOMENALLY good, in contrast with how terrible it looked originally.

Compare:

To:

Hopefully there will be some dev footage of Braid in Indie Game: The Movie coming out soon. From what I've seen, it started out looking like a total Mario clone with the exact same artwork.

This being said, for my games I draw the final artwork up front, but I'm making the entire game by myself anyway, so it's not holding up progress.

How's physics coming along, btw, Red? Got any cool demo levels made yet? Need someone to nag you over the summer to work on the engine constantly? Tongue

Oh, another random yet important idea that we are going to make a ton of ideas about, and then forget completely: Is the game going to be a light-hearted, fun game, or a darker/creepier game?

Yamaco! - Every Gooball ever
Computer! Y U get virus?

Excellent question. I think humor can add a lot to games, as long as it's actually really good humor and not just game developers trying (and failing) to be funny. Though I also really enjoy a lot of serious games as well. Would it be feasible/possible to do both?

I think it would be possible. Portal 2 does a great job at that--it's fairly serious, especially when [REDACTED B/C OF SPOILER] smashes you into the ancient Aperture stuff. But you also get to see things like Wheatley's hacking skills: "Password? Um...AAAAAA. [NO] AAAAAB. [NO] AAA..." "I'll hack this glass door open. [SMASH] There! Hacked!" Or his attempt to make his own test chamber.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I think it's possible, personally I prefer light-ish games to dark-ish games (e.g. TF2 rather than Counter-Strike). Obviously our game will be set underground, so a lot of areas will be fairly dark and damp. Still, if we can strike a comfortable balance between a serious story and humorous side-bits (such as NPC comments or item descriptions), it'll probably work.

I would LOVE to do the art!

Smile

I found that while I was making my games; drawing the art was way more fun than actually making the game itself.
So, I, personally, would be over the moon if I could do the art or at least some.
ESSPECIALLY if it is pixel art :3

-TM13

"The best Weaponry is Forged in the Hottest of Flames"
- The Bible

I'm On Twitter!

Ka-merge. Remember the edit button.

It's not pixel art though, take a look at some of the art-related threads in the section to see the sort of stuff we want. We're aiming for graphics like those in Braid, so if you've played that you'll probably know what we're aiming for.

(Also, personally I like coding the game itself better than doing the art Tongue)

I like both. But probably just because I'm using a 3D modeller to make all the art for my game, which I enjoy using. Taking a break from programming to do art now and then is pretty fun.

I personally was also thinking along the lines of what AP and puggsoy suggested, just wanted to be sure I wasn't the only person thinking that. Though I enjoy really humorous games (*cough*Psychonauts*cough*) also. I just think that when some games try really really hard to be funny, they fail miserably, and when other games try really really hard to be serious and epic, they miss out on some great humor now and then. Part of the fun of playing a game should be seeing the developers' sense of humor now and again.

Yeah. I usually don't like games like Amnesia, dark/horror games like that, but Portal does it really well, and I love Limbo.

Computer! Y U get virus?

I, personally, don't wan't ANOTHER WORLD to be too dark. It would take away the light-heartedness of the beginning.

Everybody, Everybody!

gootrooper, please try to understand what this is. This is not about a World of Goo mod, or a sequel or anything to do with World of Goo at all. It's about a game that people here are making, completely unrelated to World of Goo. It has nothing to do with Another World.

As I said before, I hope to make the physics-debut this weekend. Of course, I can't promise anything too fancy. As of now it's just a rush to finish basic physics. This definitely won't be the final result of the engine. It will require much tweaking after this. The current demo involves just a box falling onto the ground done with XML, so you can check out the XML.

As for art, I will be using Paint art for testing. It can be replaced by WEXXES's art later on.

Sounds good. Be sure to have that box fall at an angle Wink

really cool art as always, howitz! Laughing out loud
sorry im late. i am a little bit busy with Herobrine's Army in 0X10C. i don't reply that much, but don't worry, i am here. i just try not to spam the posts.

-_-

Red, as soon as you see this, update the everything concrete, before we forget XD

Computer! Y U get virus?

Add what?

the thing we were just talking about
Smile
the feel of the game, unless we aren't done discssing that
I don't know what I was saying, I was tired XD

Computer! Y U get virus?

There are 800 posts here. You'll have to be a lot more specific. Tongue

Physics? We already knew about that. Tongue

Look at my earlier post
and also, update everything concrete with the feel of the game
ya know

Computer! Y U get virus?

thenoobtester wrote:
Look at my earlier post

Just tell us, so we don't have to look back through the many "earlier posts" that you have. Seriously, telling us what you're talking about is much easier for everyone.

puggsoy wrote:
Just tell us, so we don't have to look back through the many "earlier posts" that you have. Seriously, telling us what you're talking about is much easier for everyone.

This. (oh, and my Steam picture is not me.)

Thought so, just checking Wink

You might have to re-size the sprite sheet to fit your needs

H J K

That's fine.