Goofans Game Discussion

809 replies [Last post]

Ok, cool beans then. Carry on! Smile

Btw, there's no real advantage of using HGE or OpenGL; they're basically the same thing (HGE 1.8.1 uses DirectX, but the result is basically the same). Just whatever's easiest, whenever you get around to that kinda stuff.

Got Box2D figured out yet, or still working on stuff? I agree that physical stuff is absolutely cool; I love physics-based games (Hence liking World of Goo!). I've played for hours just with the Box2D examples; quite a huge lot of fun. Smile

I'll admit I loved playing around with the testbed. Smile

I understand the theory. I just need to put it into practice. It's all understood. All I have to do now is finish coding it. I'm about halfway done with that.

So far, I have an array of my physical class, which doesn't get put in unless a function is called to create the actual physical object from the variables drawn in from XML.

I'd say yes polygonal, but a rectangle and circle primitive (even if preprocessed into normal polygons) feature would be nice for simple levelmaking. Or even circle and square. I'm glad it's so easy to code, I know next to nothing about Box2D. OpenGL looks nice, and we might even be able to find simple SDL bindings for it.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

OpenGL goes excellently with SDL. Box2D wasn't too difficult to learn either.

I'll include all three, if anything. We're most likely going to use circles, and I don't think we want to write all those vertexes manually. Tongue

Albino Pokey wrote:
Puggsoy: I like that site, but it doesn't seem legal.

Pretty sure it is. They're against a lot of illegal things, for example the Sounds Resource only accepts sound effects not music, since the music can be bought in game soundtracks. Basically they only rip stuff from games that can't be gotten anywhere else, and only for legal uses.
Just be sure, I'll ask just how legal it is.

EDIT: I checked, and you can see here that it's generally allowed. So if Red likes, he can use sprites from there for testing.

I may use it then. We'll see.

I need help. Does GooTool work on the World Of Goo demo?

Everybody, Everybody!

No it does not. Welcome to GooFans, gootrooper97.

But this thread is about something completely unrelated. You should make a new thread or find a more relevant one to post to in the future.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

So I have a friend who might be interested in doing art for the game.

Keep in mind we haven't heard from Dowitz/Howitz in a while, and all of his art was conceptual.

Cool. We do need to get some stuff working in the graphics department.

I'll try to contact Howitz somehow, now that we have something to draw graphics for, and see if he's still interested.

He responds to email, but I think he has lost interest.

Oh, that's too bad. Sad

What's his email address? I need to ask him something.

Howitzas at gmail

Thanks. I'll send him an email.

I would have let you known if I "lost interest"

http://i46.tinypic.com/1zwnudc.png

Working on refining my style, let me know what you guys think!

-WEXXES (aka HOWITZ <- obsolete name now)

edit: my email is hjkwexxes at gmail, not Howitzas, if you need to ask something, please email so I can see it asap!

edit 2: that sprite sheet... SOON.

I would also like to apologize for any inconveniences or random acts of blasphemy during my absence!

H J K

Merged posts.

Anyway, looks nice. Good to know you haven't abandoned us yet Wink

Sweet. This looks excellent. Forgive me for assuming your having left us. It was just getting a little quiet.

What does the new username mean?

Yay! You're back!

Nice cave picture, by the way. I like the light coming from the torch.

RedTheGreen wrote:
Sweet. This looks excellent. Forgive me for assuming your having left us. It was just getting a little quiet.

What does the new username mean?

Has no meaning as far as I'm concerned.

H J K

Hmm? I meant the name itself. What is "WEXXES"? Or is it just random?

That picture is just so freaking cool. Glad to have you back. Smile

Sweet! That means I can start working on... uh... that other thing I'm good at. YAY!

Yamaco! - Every Gooball ever
Computer! Y U get virus?

You could help us with level design, perhaps. Or anything else you'd like to do?

I remember someone saying that we first have a game engine up with a level editor, then make our own levels and put them together like we do here at Goofans.

?

Oh, yea "WEXXES" is just a name. Nothing more.

Once again, I appreciate any kind of "art" I can base things off of.

About the sprite sheet,

I want movement to be rather smooth, but I'm guessing we will keep it kind of simple? This is what I mean:

Animations: Standing, Start Running, Running, Stop running, Falling, Long Fall, Hit(idle), Jumping

In which running is done by velocity, meaning the movement is not instant. It speeds up to a maximum (Start Running), and when it reaches maximum, it goes into (Running), and when you let go of the keys, it goes into (Stop Running). You don't stop movement instantly either, velocity is set to 0 so your speed decreases almost instantly (like a little slide).

If its too much, then a simple Running, Standing, Jumping, Falling works too (for now). Of course, there will be other animations to add into.

H J K

Yes. Thats's the kind of sprite sheet I was going for.

Maybe animations would be:
+Running (start/max/stop)
+Standing (simple swaying maybe?)
+Jumping (starting/mid-air)
+Falling (starting/falling/landing)

Movement speed will be time-based, so you move faster with time. The animation should reflect this.

Of course, each image should have the same points of reference for clothing/equipment to be drawn over it.

I'll upload some "concept art" for you tomorrow.

RedTheGreen wrote:
Yes. Thats's the kind of sprite sheet I was going for.

Maybe animations would be:
+Running (start/max/stop)
+Standing (simple swaying maybe?)
+Jumping (starting/mid-air)
+Falling (starting/falling/landing)

Movement speed will be time-based, so you move faster with time. The animation should reflect this.

Of course, each image should have the same points of reference for clothing/equipment to be drawn over it.

I'll upload some "concept art" for you tomorrow.

Okay

H J K

Wel, currently, I am working on some music, but I could do level design Smile

Computer! Y U get virus?

Level design should probably be put off until most of the engine's done, plus the story. Also don't forget it's an RPG, levels will be more like "areas" than "chambers".

Yeah, yeah. That's true Smile
But I feel like we should try to get past the concept art stage and into the actual game art.

Computer! Y U get virus?