Goofans Game Discussion

809 replies [Last post]

Ah, the nice mix sounds good, let's test the engine...
EDIT: Tested:
-I think walking is too slow!
-Can you add an actual ground with collision instead of a toggle?
-The jump is perfect!
-The fps seem a little jumpy though (probably normal, doesn't affect player movement)

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

They used Box2D.

Momo: We're saying that we should use the code they used, it's in a library called Box2D that handles all those collisions for us.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

momo1526 wrote:
-The fps seem a little jumpy though (probably normal, doesn't affect player movement)

Yeah, that happens with every game, it's just that you don't notice it.

OOOOOOKAAAYYYY Tongue

I just cmake'd it and I'll be ready to start implementing Box2D tomorrow.

momo1526 wrote:
-I think walking is too slow!
-Can you add an actual ground with collision instead of a toggle?

Interesting. I'll change the speed to 2 (we can still change it later). I'll work on ground with Box2D. Once I figure out how to make bodies I'll begin working on map elements. I think I should also get started on sound, while I'm at it.

Does SDL do sound?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Pretty sure it's got sound handling, although he'll still have to manage stuff like when it starts, looping, etc. Even if SDL doesn't do it I'm pretty sure he'll use an external library instead of decoding it himself Tongue

SDL has support for one continuous streaming sound. A way around this that many games use is the addition of a library called SDL_mixer. SDL_mixer gives support for more filetypes and the ability to play more than one at once. It can distort the sound by increasing/decreasing the channels. This is what I'm using. (example game that uses it: VVVVVV)

Of course I'll still have to wrap it in order to set up a playback method. Otherwise things like attack and jump noises won't happen.

SDL_mixer is ace. Good choice. Smile OpenAL has support for some 3D sound effects and such, but it's really not worth it, as it's quite complex. SDL_mixer should give you everything you need, really.

One thing that's interesting if you use a hardware-accelerated 2D engine is that you can actually have floating-point coordinates on the screen, since that's just as fast to render in hardware. Something to keep in mind. Though you can also just use floating-point values for positions and velocities and such, and round these to the nearest integer when drawing to the screen. That always works too. That way, you can have a non-jumpy 1.5 speed or something.

But I'll just shut up again; you generally know what you're doing. Tongue Good work on the engine so far! I haven't looked at the code yet, but so far I like what I'm seeing in the example program. Nice job, sir!

EDIT: Nvm, reason I didn't look at the code is it isn't there. Well, derp. Good work, anyhow.

So how's it going on the engine now? Smile

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

My computer had a fatal error a couple of days ago. This is only the second time I have been able to check Goofans since then.

It seems to work every now and then, with a few memory issues. I'm going to attempt backing up the next time it starts. I highly suspect this is a fault in the old piece of junk I call a hard drive. As soon as I switch that out with a new one, preferably larger, I will be able to continue working on the game.
Smile

Ouch, sorry about that. Puzzled
My old hard drive is now replaced, and i have two computers to use. I don't have all the old pictures and videos removed from it, but is is now functional. Smile

-_-

Bad news guys, I don't think I'll be able to get anything I had back on that drive. So the game's code may be lost forever...

But maybe it's software-based. You never know. Tongue

You know, *cough* I have a fairly decent engine myself *cough*

well, show us!

-_-

MOM, don't you have a copy of Red's old code?

^this.

I thought so too.

Oh, derp, I do. But he uploaded it anyway, use your old link, Red? Or did you do more on it since then?

I completely redesigned it, and I finally got it where I wanted it too..

The last version (of the code) that I uploaded was my original attempt at animations, from about 2 months ago. It's a completely different set-up.

Depending on how you structured it, I may want to ask for your engine MOM. Tongue I'll make sure to credit you greatly and just mention a revision done by myself.

I feel like I've let all you down. Sorry guys. I was really into this.

It's ok. Just make sure you backup your computer this time to prevent further problems. Then start again and we can get this done! Smile

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

Woohoo! Computer got fixed. Laughing out loud

I have a break this week, so I will make sure to make a few more updates regarding the code. I got the old code!

YAAAAAAYY!!!! Progress is resumed! Laughing out loud

RedTheGreen wrote:
Woohoo! Computer got fixed. Laughing out loud

I have a break this week, so I will make sure to make a few more updates regarding the code. I got the old code!

Quarter Ended.

I'm free!

smooth sailing till i'm done with "school"

Awesome! No starting from scratch again or whatever!

HOWITZ.

Make a player sprite sheet? :3 Probably something like 42x76 with separate animations for walking, running, standing, and jumping.

And I'm working on a font engine now. I intend to make mainly graphical additions, for the most part, in the coming months.

Question: What kind of message system should we have? Should it be scrolling text? Or straightforward lines of text? Etc.

Hm. Or maybe voiceovers for dialogue?

I don't know. I think written text would be preferred by most, but if you guys want it sure. The only downside to having voice acting would be the large amount of disk space used up by the recordings. It seems a little annoying to require way way more space just to have a specific dialogue function.

RedTheGreen wrote:
I don't know. I think written text would be preferred by most, but if you guys want it sure. The only downside to having voice acting would be the large amount of disk space used up by the recordings. It seems a little annoying to require way way more space just to have a specific dialogue function.

I don't think voice acting would be good at all for this. Perhaps for actions, but no talking or any dialogue

Voice acting would be preferred by me! It would be fun to record, not to mention, we can have different personality sounds for each character whereas in just text, most voices sound the same to me... Puzzled

But that's ok if it's too much work...

Honestly, I don't think it fits our game's genre. Voice-acting in a 2D game sounds silly, unless it's narrating the story, but even that can get annoying.

I think it could work out, (Gooballs of Fire you're absolutely right) but we can leave the decision until we have more of the story planned.

EDIT: 600th POST! WOO! Laughing out loud