Goofans Game Discussion

809 replies [Last post]

Tongue Oh, I hate those times when you've got a huge issue and it's something as simple as forgetting to load the images. I will fix now. And I know what debugging is...

Kk, just making sure. It just personally took me a while to realize its usefulness.

And yah for huge issues being so simple. I was trying to make echoing sounds yesterday, but they were all piling up on top of one another, and come to find out, I was adding something when I was supposed to subtract. Duh. Tongue

Ok so drawing different terrain and enemies, I've been thinking:

We should have characters and enemies in pixels, much like maplestory: you can see the pixelation but detail is pretty nice. However, the terrain will be in a painted/sketched fashion.

...?

(besides its easier for me and it looks nice Tongue)

I'm kind of curious how this will turn out Shock

Actually, I've been thinking a lot about unique gameplay aspects. We should have some things scanned in from notepads and clean them up digitally, instead of just pixel art.

RedTheGreen wrote:
Actually, I've been thinking a lot about unique gameplay aspects. We should have some things scanned in from notepads and clean them up digitally, instead of just pixel art.

I don't have scanners Sad

You should get one. They're useful.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Albino Pokey wrote:
You should get one. They're useful.

A visit from the idea fairy, Howitz. "Hey, listen!"

puggsoy wrote:
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/2/22/1501e7a4-3b79-4481-b414-017a2d87e28e.jpg

Tongue

I can't afford a scanner. I already spent almost $2000 just for a computer and tablet to use Sad

Then just take high-res photos. It will likely be worse, more or less, but if you´re going to be a cheapskake about it it'll do. Or you can just draw with your tablet. Tongue

I made some high-res photos of my drawings with my dad's hardcore video camera a while back when we couldn't use our scanner. If you angle it right then it's pretty much exactly the same.

Hello everybody! An official message from the idea fairy:

After seeing horrible feedback for this game about the color palette and how ugly it was, I suddenly remembered that "you know what, this is important". So I painted a background scene,which may or may not be used since it is more of a forest than anything, using a new technique I learned over the past few days since "I HAVE RETURNED". The scene is the dark forest that houses the entrance to the cave. You look back into the world, shining ever so brightly, the last glimpse of light before descending.

http://i40.tinypic.com/5xpk5z.png

(40-45 minutes Speed paint)

The actual graphics for the terrain will be something similar but more "defined".

RedTheGreen wrote:
Then just take high-res photos. It will likely be worse, more or less, but if you´re going to be a cheapskake about it it'll do. Or you can just draw with your tablet. Tongue

I usually show my hand drawings only to actual people I see every day.

You guys get the digital stuff Tongue Even my friends don't really know I started digital media specifically :/

Howitz, I am always amazed at your artistic skills. That background is amazing. Keep it up!

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Howitz wrote:
You look back into the world, shining ever so brightly, the last glimpse of light before descending.

Hey, I'm doing the story!

But seriously, I don't think we'll have something like that. I was expecting we'd make something like Cave Story, how the player's pretty much forgotten how he got there, as opposed to willingly jumping into some random hole Tongue

Nonetheless, fantastic artwork!

We could do Puggsoy's idea, then later you start getting flashbacks of what happened before, as you start to remember how you ended up in the cave. A cutscene, or better yet, an interactive flashback. Totally railroaded, but interactive.

Well its sort of like a milestone in my work. I learned a lot in the past few days after talking to an actual concept artist for ArenaNet for a bit.

The next one I will TRY a cave scene/underground or something.

Nice!

I think I'll try uploading some of my stuff on DeviantArt (such as the animated crystal). TinyPic is screwing it up, and it deletes it if you exceed the bandwidth limit.

EPIC.
kep up the good work howitz!! Laughing out loud

-_-

Howitz, what does the signature in the bottom-right say?

i noticed that too. it is yours, i am assuming.

-_-

It says Hezzerzzezz 11. I don't use Dowitz.

It is basically mine. The names I use on steam are usually Dowitz, Howitz, or Dspreening. Hezzerzzezz is my newer main name, and I keep it because people always pronounce it differently Tongue

Speaking of which, BLUE CAVE:

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/348/5/5/blue_cave_by_dowitz-d4j52...

EPIC! Again!

Alright, those aren't half bad. You sir are good, but now that it's almost break, I'm expecting more content from you. Get me some images for the player.

RedTheGreen wrote:
Alright, those aren't half bad. You sir are good, but now that it's almost break, I'm expecting more content from you. Get me some images for the player.

Easy there Shock

(go on irc)

Easy there?

im torn between which image to use for my background.

-_-

Very nice drawings there, Howitz. Maybe a bit dark, but very awesome-looking.

@Red: Something to think about: If you want to, you can make a viewport that can zoom in and out, like World of Goo and Aquaria, so the dimensions of the player in that case would be determined by the viewport zoom rather than the size of the image. In that case, just get a really high-res sprite for the player, and play with the zoom of the viewport and other objects until it looks right and everyone is happy. Just a thought.

Also, easy there. Howitz just came back from a long break, so be patient for artwork from him. Drawing takes time, y'know. And considering that you haven't exactly said what you wanted a player sprite to look like...

Hey MOM4ever, how come you haven't joined the goo-gle group yet?

-_-

I probably won't be doing zooming, but the way I'm going to have the camera set up might make that simple enough. I was just saying that he has his break. He's been complaining that he wouldn't be able to do much until then, and I've been patient. I'm being slightly hypocritical here as I've only been playing the Humble Bundle games these past few days, but I think we could make some progress soon.

Also, I should probably say what I want him to look like. Tongue Okay, the max dimensions should be 320x240 foor the player, to allow for different camera shots at a good res.