Goofans Game Discussion

809 replies [Last post]

You should totally make a git (or subversion, or mercurial) repo of your code. That way people can see changes you've made instead of nagging you. GitHub has free public ones. They're really simple to set up and use if you're the only person on the repo, and it provides a great way of backing up your code also.

I thought about it, never really got around to it though.

I'll just go ahead and make one then. Tongue

EDIT: GitHub's only free for open source. Do we want open source?

Well, it's fine if it's open source as long as we don't have any actual content in yet. I'll do it.

EDIT2: I'll just let you guys know. I can't find a good client. I tried PuTTY and a few others already.

I'm fine with waiting. Anything you add that's not worth an update shouldn't be interesting, anyway.

I'm just using Git Bash straight up, myself. You don't need a client when it's a simple-to-use program. But there may be a plug-in or such for Code::Blocks even.

We could always un-open-source it once we release, then stop using GitHub.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

There probably is a plugin, but I think it's too much of a hassle already. I'll just do what I've been doing, making sure to back up the code as well. I almost lost it before, and I don't want it to happen.

666th post ^

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

i noticed that too Tongue

-_-

Ah, I never notice post numbers. Tongue

EDIT: In case anybody wants to know if I'm still working, I am. (bit of a slowdown last week, school testing all week long) As for progress, I am happy to announce the changing of the background color to black: http://i.imgur.com/WFlhV.png

As for real progress, I've added functions to handle events for the end of animations, and I've begun work on a toggle-able Developer Mode (more information about this is coming soon).

Oh, and the implementing of physics has begun as a process. It'll take a little time, though, as I need to decide on how I'm going to outline the details in the XML.

Sweet progress. Liking the black background Wink

Hey, if you need me for any drawing (Like background drawing, that stuff), i'd like to help. I have paint shop pro X2, so I can fix it up and make it look nice Laughing out loud
so do u need me or no?

Yamaco! - Every Gooball ever
Computer! Y U get virus?

Well, Howitz is supposed to be doing art, but he hasn't been on the site for a while. Red may have heard something from him.

In my opinion I think we could use your help. If you could give us some samples of what you can do (maybe in a separate topic) that'd be cool.

That'd be great. Howitz hasn't said anything to me in a while, so it might be a dead link. We'll see.

As for the engine, I've made the code easier to look at. Tongue

Alright! I'll draw up a sample night 8-bit background (as the game is I am guessing 8-bit) and see what you guys think Laughing out loud

Computer! Y U get virus?

Alright. Picture thread link http://goofans.com/forum/goofans/goofans-game/3688
PS: I can draw in stuff other then 8-bit if I have to, I'm just guessing this is going to be an 8-bit game lol)

Computer! Y U get virus?

RedTheGreen wrote:
That'd be great. Howitz hasn't said anything to me in a while, so it might be a dead link. We'll see.

As for the engine, I've made the code easier to look at. Tongue

You know, you don't need to use extern with functions. Only global variables or legacy code.

Unless the functions are only defined in object files and not in included headers, in which case you will have much bigger problems to worry about. Tongue

The "extern" functions are the ones that aren't included with headers. I only use them once, so why not extern?

Why are you using functions that aren't in headers? Tongue

I only use them once, so why bother putting them in headers? It's the same thing, more or less.

Alright. So.... when do you think we will have a playable test level, where you can move the character around and stuff Laughing out loud

Computer! Y U get virus?

Once physics works. Tongue

Oh, and uh... progress is being made.

EDIT: In case anybody wants the algorithm for calculating how much experience is required to level up, just let me know.

Woah, we should kind of discuss the whole leveling up system, shouldn't we? Which skills we have, etc.

Unless this is just temporary.

Yeah. I will come up with some sort of algorithm for leveling, and see how it works.
EDIT: Ok. I think I came up with a decent algorithm. Basiclly, it is this
For the 1st level, you start at having to get 10 XP
then you multiply that by, add 3, and add the level number you are, so you add 2.
So it would go like this
Lvl 1: 10XP
Lvl 2: 35XP
Lvl 3: 111XP
And so on and so forth. Any suggestions on how to change it?

Computer! Y U get virus?

Skills aren't going to happen for a LONG time. Tongue

So far, it's just a level int, determined by an experience count and (latest) goal. When the goal is met, the level increases and the goal gets recalculated. I was just testing the formula out with some predetermined values. It doesn't mean much.

The current formula code is: player.required_exp += round( 20*pow( 1.2, player.level ) );

In other words, the required exp is calculated as:
20(1.2^player level) (rounded to the nearest whole number)

Then it's added to the previous value of required experience.

If you have a better idea, write it here.

Well, the algorithm all depends on how many levels you want. If you want it to go up to, say 150 levels, you might have to change the algorithm (unless some monsters give 10,000 xp, no one will ever try to make it that far)

Computer! Y U get virus?

I think the level cap would be something like 150, but monsters would stop giving more experience at around 80 or so. (as in, there would be less new monsters to fight)

That or maybe we can have infinite randomly-generated dungeons that give experience as a reward.

like dungeons in minecraft, say.

-_-

Was thinking more of DQ9. Tongue

EDIT: Saving/Loading from a file is done.

I dunno, ay. The idea of a level cap isn't that appealing for me, it more often applies to MMOs. But then again, not having a level cap could be troublesome.
Some games don't have players levels though, just weapon/armour levels/tiers, we could maybe do that. Player levels in a single-player game just doesn't seem that nice to me. I mean, maybe somebody sped through a bit, and then they have to grind their character to do the next bit. Level grinding can be mildly fun on MMOs, but by yourself it'd be boring.

For example, the Legend Of Zelda games have no levels whatsoever. What you can and can't do is decided either by which items you have, where you are in the storyline, and your personal skill. Which I really like.
On the other hand, games such as the Pokemon series, or the Mario & Luigi RPGs, both have levels which you would often have level up to before doing certain parts. However, the core difference between these two was, while leveling up in the former consisted of tedious, repetitive battles, the latter was actually fun, since battles in the M&L RPGs still took timing and skill.

My conclusion is this: if we are to have leveling in the game, we have to make sure that leveling up isn't boring and tedious. Because that's the reason why I've stopped playing Pokemon for a while, and that's the same reason people would stop playing this game.