"Goofans Orchestra"

277 replies [Last post]

This was an idea that Gooballs of Fire, Kirdneh and I were discussing in email last night.

Since I think soundtracks usually sound better fully orchestrated (for example, the videos below), and I know several people on Goofans are musical, I thought we might be able to do something like this:

• Someone composes the music and posts PDF sheets.
  • People on Goofans each take their part and play it.
  • Someone mixes the parts together.
  • Voila! Music!

For example, Gooballs of Fire said that he could do percussion or piano. I know that Red does keyboard. And so on.

If people like this idea, I think some of the instruments we would want would be:

• Violin ✓
  • Viola ✓
  • Cello/Bass (low strings) ✓
  • Trumpet ✓
  • Tuba/Euphonium?
  • French Horn, if possible
  • Flute/Piccolo
  • Clarinet
  • Oboe/Bassoon ✓
  • Piano/Keyboard ✓
  • Percussion (drumset? bass drum? timpani? chimes?) ✓
  • Vocal ✓
  • Guitar (acoustic or electric) ✓
  • If anyone has a harp... Smile

Is anyone interested in this?

Quote:

People who are currently 'signed up':

• Albino Pokey - Piano, Violin?
  • Kirdneh - Violin, Acoustic Guitar
  • RedTheGreen - Computer stuff
  • Gooballs of Fire - Percussion
  • G0o-gle - Percussion/Vocals?
  • Martin33 - Vocals
  • Nicki Minaj 4 EVER - Bassoon
  • Cthulhu - Viola
  • _______ - Cello
  • The Noob Tester - Trumpet

Orchestral Soundtrack Example:

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

can play violin and guitar. not electric, but acoustic.

-_-

Great! I can do piano, a bit of violin (I'm not great at it), a tiny bit of trumpet, and plastic recorder from fifth grade. Smile

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I have a digital keyboard hooked up via firewire, so I could record my sound without any background noise, straight into Mixcraft, so I could also mix all of your things. Mixcraft can also change the noise, and with over 100 instruments, I could do extra instruments on the keyboard, if you'd like. Smile

EDIT: I'd also like it if my name wasn't written as "Red the Green"

This better?

OK! Great! For percussion, I will probably not be able to record myself playing timpani, chimes or other large instruments without signifigant background noise at the Colorado Springs Youth Symphony Rehersal Room so... I can record Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Drum Set, Tom Toms, Suspended Cymbal, Crash Cymbals,Tambourine and Orchestra Bells. If you'd want recordings of any of the larger instruments I'd need to have My Finale 2011 program play them and convert the file to something that you can merge in the sound editing program Red.

Also, for me composing the music can I get all of your grade levels (Approx.) at your instruments so I don't compose something too hard for everyone to play?

P.S. If any parts after I write them and e-mail them are too hard PLEASE E-MAIL ME! So I can send you an easier updated version! Also BEFORE YOU SEND YOUR RECORDINGS TO RED FOR MERGING PLEASE SEND THEM TO ME! I just want to make sure they were performed as acurately as possible.

P.S.S. PLEASE PRACTICE THE PARTS BEFORE RECORDING THEM!

EDIT: RedTheGreen, If you can set your keyboard to the specific synthesizer sounds in my music after it's composed so we can get some techno/odd effects for the music that would be great!

Also, we'd have to work one song at a time until we have all the parts before we move on to the next one i write!

Update on my composing music for this game: I have two musical melodies/ideas ready for entering into a song, but I need your opinion:

One of them is cave themed: (Drip drop sounding and natural)

One of them is arctic themed: (For snow and ice blowing around and frozen water, ground etc.)

Let me know!

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

MIDI will work. I also support any sound file except FLAC. For some reason, Mixcraft doesn't like FLAC. In other news, I don't care too much, but it sounds like you don't trust my musical ear.

AP, I don't like my personal credentials being written on the forum like that. (regardless of the fact that they're in my Twitter link) Tongue

Ok, I just need a sample of something you can play to get an idea of how good you play so I don't write something impossible to play. That's all I'm asking!

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

Let's see...currently playing Bach's Invention #1 on piano. Currently in Suzuki Book 1 on violin. Smile

What key is it in?

C Major

can play on a scale of 1 to 10, around a 3. i'm not that good.
but on violin, i can play Uranium bell carol. here's a video of some kids playing the song, if you don't know what it sounds like:

so i can guess i can play about as good as a 7th grader.

-_-

I'm the most un-musical guy ever. Despite that I had a go at reading the manual for PXTone (8-bit music maker) yesterday, my brain just about exploded.

I could possibly do humming, but I don't think we'll need it Tongue

Hmmm... I think we need other people to perhaps add to this thread... as it is... I think we'll only be able to record the piano and percussion parts... (My songs for violin would get way beyond Kirdneh's ability I'm afraid...) Sad

Edit: And Red's Synthesizer/Keyboard parts. Sorry I forgot about that!

Don't you remember me saying I have a digital keyboard and software with 100+ instruments? Anyway, I've been on the keyboard for about 10 years now, so I can handle most things you throw at me. Tongue

By the way, this is the Invention.

I didn't make the video. This is just the one I found on YouTube.

EDIT:By the way, the guy making the video has some theory about mistakes in the tempo markings. The generally accepted ones are not quite that fast.

GOOD! I think you could play almost anything I throw at you if you can play that! Except maybe for really crazy fast 32nd notes up and down the piano... anyway... has anyone finished any ideas as to what I can write the music to yet?

How about you write something for our new game? Something adventurous and powerful yet slow-paced at the same time. Maybe we could use it for our menu music.

That would be good. It can really set the theme. For example, the menu of Telepath RPG 2 really stands out because of the music. Ours might not have that same style, but you get the point.

I'm currently on holiday visiting family and all that, so I won't be able to begin working until the 9th or so.

but no one else can play guitar, right?
mwa ha ha ha ha!!!

i just learned to play super mario world one. if you have music for me, it would be easier if you had it in tab. i can read sheet music, but i am too lazy to figure notes Tongue

-_-

Tab? Is that like figured bass? (for example, C dm G6/4)

-_-

Okay, I can read that, but I am not sure I can write it. Maybe I can find a converter somewhere.

How many fingering positions are there to a string? And is each one a halfstep?

NUTS! Sorry Kirdneh, but I can't write TAB... I've tried, but it makes absolutely no sense to me... eventually I want to learn electric guitar maybe I'll understand it then, but as for now... You'll have to sick with notes and chords...

Gooballs, TAB is simply notation that shows where you put your fingers for a particular chord. Some guitarists never learn real musical notation and use TAB simply because you don't need to remember which string/fret plays which note.

hmm... well how can I learn that? Or use it?

If it is as I think (+1/2 step per number) just start with the note of the string and count half steps up.

But I don't know what strings guitars start on... or even have a guitar to figure that out!

AP, learn real notation. ;P

Gooballs, don't worry about it. We'll just synthesize the instrument.

that's ok, i can read real notes but it is harder.
i didn't want to make it harder on everyone. just write real notation, i'll be fine.

-_-