Goofans Game Discussion

809 replies [Last post]

Projectile Simulation Library (I made it a while ago in TI-BASIC):

//Simulate a projectile, given an angle in degrees and a speed in meters/second.

#include <cmath>

using namespace std;

const double pi = atan(1.0)*4.0; //Pi is important for trig stuff!
const double gravity = 9.8; //meters per second
const double wind = 0; //Negative = to the left, positive = to the right

double rtod(double radians){ //Utility functions
	double degrees = radians * (180.0/pi);
	return degrees;
}

double dtor(double degrees){
	double radians = degrees * (pi/180.0);
	return radians;
}

void shootProjectile(double x, double y, double speed,double angle){
	angle = dtor(angle);
	int q = speed*sin(angle);
	int v;
	int w;

for(int time=0; time<=2*q/gravity+0.5; time+=0.1){
		v=x;
		w=y;
		x = speed*time*cos(angle)-wind/2*pow(time,2);
		y = speed*time*sin(angle)-gravity/2*pow(time,2);
		//Draw the projectile from (v,w) to (x,y)
		if(false){//If it collides with something solid
			break;
		}
	}

//The object has fallen back to earth.
	//Alternately, you could use a while() loop and collision detection.
	//It all depends how complex the project is.
}

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

*bookmarks the page*

Progress is booming!!!!1111!!11!one111eleven111001110101010101!!

I think it was a bad idea to start with an RPG first. Just imo, something simpler that could be finished in like 2-3 weeks would be a great start.

2-3 weeks is much less than I need. Once I create an engine I'm happy with, we'll be able to tweak it slightly to make new games. In other words, once I create the stencil, we'll be able to make circles much more easily than doing it by hand every time.

And once the game is done, you can sell the engine and make MILLIONS! I mean, release it open-source and have millions of expert coders hack the code to shreds and tell you everything you did wrong. Smile No pressure.

Or allow people to make their own free mods, and/or license the engine, like Source.

I just realized my code I posted doesn't work for this! You would need to modify it a bit for an arrow instead of a fireball with a trail (the original code).

Change the "draw..." comment part to "double rotation = atan2(y-w,v-x); int rot_d = rtod(rotation);"

Then draw the image from (v,w) at rot_d degrees. Add a multiple of 90 if the image rotation is different.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Can't you make it so that the arrow has a trail as well? Its something that a lot of games use to make solid, not shiny projectiles more visible.

Yeah, maybe you could also draw a trail at -1*rot_d degrees starting at (v,w).

I won't be going into the graphics code again for a while, actually. I'm currently working on stats and abilities. Oh, and files.

Can we make the game possible to have more than one game? Than we can have lots of games!

-_-

Kirdneh, I've said this before but I'll say it again, I'm making an ENGINE. This ENGINE can be used more than once to EASILY make MULTIPLE games.

I might first make a puzzle game out of it, the same one I made in game maker. Took 2 days to animate the character and get the stuff working when I did it for game maker.

Are we going to have Easter eggs? In the game? I like little creator's jokes.
Like in portal when glados says " your business is appreciated" when you flush the toilet.

-_-

Of course. Some of them are amazingly well hidden: for example, in Call of Duty (never played it) you can type "zork" into the computer terminal and the screen fades out and you can play Zork I. An entire game within a game!

Example for our game: Spell of Searching on the grass: "You find an Easter egg. SOmeone must have dropped it last Easter." (Lame pun intended).

Maybe, but (no offense intended) that pun is lame.

I know, but we should include it anyway. Worst-disguised Easter egg ever. Smile

MAKE A GAZILLION EASTER EGGS. I love Easter Eggs. Laughing out loud

That's an awesome pun. Any pun is an awesome pun, in my opinion.

We should include that, and heaps of other Easter Eggs. But we should focus on that when we've finished pretty much the whole game.

Oh Oh oh!!!!! We should make a egg for every one! Like you find a egg that comes out of a chicken. That says kirdneh on it and it has my user pic on it!

-_-

lol kirdneh no references to people

edit: unless its someone outside of this group

That wasn't an edit! And no, kirdneh, no references to ourselves...

yea you don't reference yourself in games. Its just weird and makes people think "lol of course herp a derp".

Btw red how's the engine coming? My time is freeing up little by little as college ap is getting finished, along with approaching mid terms (I can exempt 2 of them and I have 4 :DDD)

I honestly think we should stick to puzzle game first for now
RPG is too broad and will take more than forever.

quick edit: Perhaps we can have some RPG elements but more focused on puzzle solving. Like for instance, we can still have weapons and armor but they wouldn't be too important in beating the game.

and I take that back about 'don't worry about finishing'. The one thing I hate is working on something that is never finished Tongue
its like buying a cheesecake and not eating it... like CMON CHEESECAKE D:

Howitz wrote:
I honestly think we should stick to puzzle game first for now
RPG is too broad and will take more than forever.

quick edit: Perhaps we can have some RPG elements but more focused on puzzle solving. Like for instance, we can still have weapons and armor but they wouldn't be too important in beating the game.

As if. We've been leaning towards an RPG ever since we started. I don't think we can start changing just now.

But as soon as the engine's done, it's just a matter of making locations/levels and quests. So I don't think it'll take as long as you think.

I'm not sure about the "no references to ourselves" thing. Maybe something like in that old Flash game called "Fancy Pants", where if you go into a secret door and get through a maze you find a trophy and one of the artists' signature as graffiti on the wall. Something subtle like that, maybe. The acheivements having our names on them, not so much.

I like what Chrono Trigger did: If you get the "best" ending, you find yourself after the game ends in this big room where you can talk to everyone who developed the game. There's some obvious rivalry and some funny stuff that goes on. It's pretty cool.

@all I've been busy lately. I started again last night, and completely restructured my code. (I do that a lot...) It just looked so darn ugly. Also, some functions were very obscure, as in I don't remember what some of my own code does. Tongue

@Howitz LOL I was eating a cheesecake when I read that! And, um, why have RPG elements if there is no RPG? The code will take the same amount of time to finish if you don't scrape off any fat.

@puggsoy Yep. I'm hoping to be able to give you guys some sort of example or guide to help you start building once I've decided on the final format I'm going to use. Basically, I want you guys to be able to do something regardless of the engine's final working status.

@Felix (Wink) & @MOM That might be alright. Maybe something like Maplestory where in certain parts of the year, an NPC of somebody hear would offer a theme-quest. (I'm referring to Cody, the head programmer for Maplestory, being an NPC in every town offering quests on certain dates)

Albino Pokey wrote:
I'm not sure about the "no references to ourselves" thing. Maybe something like in that old Flash game called "Fancy Pants", where if you go into a secret door and get through a maze you find a trophy and one of the artists' signature as graffiti on the wall. Something subtle like that, maybe. The acheivements having our names on them, not so much.

I have a little sign! It's a cartoony gooball. Draw 2 circles, with an eye. Draw a bigger circle sort of around it. Fill the large circle black. And put it as graffiti some where secret.

-_-

OH! We COULD do something like that, but why not just a reference to World of Goo? We could have graffiti of a gooball hidden somewhere...

Yeah! They DID inspire this whole site.

( by the way, my sign thing { if we do it ( although probualy not ) } , just look at my user picture. )

-_-

Mebbe.

Oh, and here's a screenshot of the current status of the engine. I've just created a text-based output on the top-left for developers. It refers to a boolean value whether or not to show so I've made a key-toggle in case you think it looks ugly or something. Wink