Art

106 replies [Last post]

@RedTheGreen: Well, duh, yeah, we'd scale down a lot of these images before using them. Tongue

@All: So, I stuck together a little scene from all the artwork we have so far:

There's some limitations, but it looks good so far.
So the questions I have are:

1. @Red: What are your plans for the game engine? Something World-of-Goo-esque where you have layers and layers of images, all scaled and rotated differently, to make a scene? Or a tiled map? From what I understand so far, we're going with the former.

2. @All: It's probably a good idea to decide on where this game will take place before too much artwork is drawn, so it will fit. Is the game in a cave? If so, what sort of cave? Remember that this is open to imagination. We can have a cave so giant that it looks like the real world (sort of Journey-to-the-Center-of-the-World-esque, which is what this artwork is looking like so far). Thoughts? Howitz: Could you draw some more cavey-like art assets for us to look at and think about? Or, if you guys like this sort of thing, some trees and/or mountains to put in the background would make this scene mostly complete. Some bushes in the foreground, too, maybe...

3. Also @All: I've been wanting for a while to make some sort of Fall-themed game. Some really vibrant, bright colors might look awesome with Howitz's art style, too. What do you guys think?

I think that it should be set in a complete underground world, as you suggest. But not just a massive cave with rocks, it should actually be an entire world with towns/cities, trees, maybe even mountains. And the sky will be a very high ceiling, with possibly some kind of source of light.
Obviously we will put in some features and stuff that makes it unique to the outside, but I think that my idea fits pretty well with what we want to achieve.

About your Autumn-themed idea, there could be a forest (yes, we should have those too) that is eternally in autumn and leaves never stop falling. And grow back really fast or something Laughing out loud

Braid is a great game with great graphics. I won't be mad if our style intersects their's. (watch us get asked to stop using their graphics, and yes I know these were drawn by Howitz)

@MOM So far, it's turning out to be like the former. I think it'll be a little easier on me. You also get more freedom with level ideas.

RedTheGreen wrote:
Braid is a great game with great graphics. I won't be mad if our style intersects their's. (watch us get asked to stop using their graphics, and yes I know these were drawn by Howitz)

Even if I did copy their style 100% (which is 99% impossible, anyway), they wouldn't ask to stop using their graphics unless I copy pasted things they used. In fact, they will probably encourage us to do more than anything if 100% of our work is 100% original. Which is 100% original, except some brushes I used (in which they said it was ok to use)

Okay then.

RedTheGreen wrote:
Okay then.

lol

Okay well I am working on a tileset so you guys can play around with, both for this game AND world of goo (but mostly for this game)

As MOM requested, it will be cave-themed. The color scheme: Expect blueish dark stuff. I worked with different colors and only blue seemed fitting to me at the moment. If you request a color, I will use it...somehow..

I tend to use complementary colors (color 101: complementary colors: red vs green, orange vs blue, yellow vs purple, white vs black...opposites), but for this one I will use complementary colors in props, not terrain. I will try to have the tileset done by today..

edit: Okay as far as the character sprite goes, I did some studying and... well, this is how character sprites will be done:

The BASE goes underneath everything. This includes the head, arms, body, legs, chest, everything that has skin. This does not include eyes, hair, mouth, lips, etc. Just a body base. The body base is made up of many, many parts.

This is the way maplestory does it. They have a character base, which looks exactly like this WHEN PUT TOGETHER:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/maplestory/lightbody_icon.png

As an example of how many seperate images that make up all the maplestory animations for a character, it takes 201 .png files to make a fully animated character base. This does NOT include equipment.

^_^ the fun times I will have -.-

Red vs. Green!? Shock

[Erased previous message]
Edit: BLEH

Anyway, the first tile is finished. When I post it, it will NOT look the same.

Here will be the proposed tile layout of what I will post here(subject to change)

3 BASE tiles. These are the fillers.
3 CAP tiles. These make the top borders of the BASE where players can walk on.
3 UNDERCAP tiles. These make the bottom of the BASE
4 CLIFF tiles. These cover the sides of the Base

and maybe...MAYBE a bunch of doodads.

If your lucky, a background to go with it.

Of course, I will be doing all the above in the future...just what you will see/get today is what I'm talking about.

I will see you all in...6 hours or so..

REMEMBER: IF YOU HAVE A COLOR SCHEME (like redish, greenish tiles plox) then post it. Not hard to change colors. I made the files so they can change colors easily.

OK This is what I have so far:

3 BASE TILES
1 CAP
1 UNDERCAP
2 CLIFF (1 for each direction)
4 CORNERS (1 for each direction)
EDIT: 2 PATCHES (you can create a bunch of things from these)

Will be putting together stuff soon

http://i51.tinypic.com/r1dgjo.png
background is from Braid

all images except background and character is part of the tileset.

Coolio! Is that actually what the character is going to look like? I think we should change the expression to something more generic like a blank expression. Maybe a cutscene or two where he/she smiles.

That was just a piece of concept...lol...I haven't actually decided what the character will actually look like. I just use it as a placeholder for now.

and know all of this is probably not going to be the final product. I am still learning how to do everything, like for example, tiling..

Oh and @MOM about the Fall-theme

Yea I like that too...

But hey, Cave themed can be bright and colorful as well.

as for the tileset...for some reason, it looks a bit dull. I have no clue why...

This is the first one, and please tell me if you notice 'it'. I sure as hell did, and it kind of bothers me a lot....and NO it was NOT intended!!

http://i51.tinypic.com/30j447c.png (notice the difference in color....and shape XD)

Those tiles are kind of obvious, if you know what I mean. Tongue

AH nvm w/e

mmm should have the tileset posted today somewhere..

I agree with Puggsoy about the setting. Underground world, ceiling at varying heights, with cities and hills and an ocean and forests and so on that you might find on the surface, but all light comes from this strange crystal or magic or something.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

You know what, we shouldn't even mention where the light comes from. Its "just there", like gravity and nyan cat.

Nope, a crystal sounds like a good idea. Make sure to use opacity with the "glow" effect around the crystals, like a light becoming dimmer farther away. You could even do an animation, if you like.

Sure! I'll do that later today, with a GIF and a spritesheet.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

It'd be cool to point out the crystal somehow. Maybe we can even include it in a quest!

How about this as well:

The crystals are fragile and volatile. If you attack oon it explodes, does damage, and removes some of the light. Most of the time they are up high or in the background or something, but in one battle they're all over the place and the only source of light, and the monsters are very strong. You can attack them directly, or use the crystals and be left in the dark.

A lighting system could work easily if we didn't bother with shadows, we could just darken everything that's far from a light source with a gradient.

I'm hoping you can just do lighting with images, making an opaque "white" color gradually flowing from a source. The other images would have to be darker though.

Or we could have the engine darken everything if a flag is set, then add a white gradient on top.

Okay, I think I could do that! So, some deeper levels can be "dark" while others are normally-colored. "Dark" ones would be pitch-black with the exceptions being lit sections.

MOM4Evr wrote:

@All: So, I stuck together a little scene from all the artwork we have so far:

the image is my new background pic!

-_-

WOOO its been a LONG time since I uploaded ANYTHING!

MAN!

Recently since Minecraft and then right after Battlefield 3, time was poorly prioritized. It is okay now: I pretty much experienced what I wanted to with both games.

Anyway,

I drew this quite some time ago, with pen and paper. Laptop cam is pretty crappy, but you can still see:
Its basically the in game graphics without color/fine detail
http://i44.tinypic.com/1z2ofpk.jpg

From the left, its an archer shooting an arrow, then a sword n shield guy in passive stance, then a sword n shield guy jumping off the cliff, then a mage. Hooray!

Cool! Do you have a scanner for your computer?

Looks great!

@AP no :/

I've been learning to do line-art, I'll upload some stuff when I have stuff to upload Tongue

I've been thinking of doing a manga/comic as a side hobby, maybe show my other ideas through those

I was thinking of making a manga a while back, until I realized that I suck at that style of drawing and figured that just writing a book is easier Tongue