Art

106 replies [Last post]

Actually, XML is pretty much HTML. HTML came first. Wink
Plus, you can make actual 'programs' with HTML (I can't think of a simpler one that's actually a language) and you can't with XML.

JavaScript is a lot more forgiving than C++, and easier for a beginner to work with. No #including or namespaces or functions are needed until you understand them. You could even just say

<script>alert("Hello World!");</script>

and have a valid program.

But if you really want to start with C++, go to cplusplus.com and read the tutorials there.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Oh hi, I haven't been on the forums!
Yes, I saw Howitz art and his skill dropped me of my chair.
So I'll join:
Art: Not good
Programming: Pascal basics.
Story: Nope
Anything: Let me think...no...

I can't help!

Crazeh man!

Art: My notebook scribbles are moderately good.

C++: Read a whole book on the basics a few years ago.

HTML: Just picking up bits and pieces I happen to stumble upon.

XML: I know it isn't a "true language", but I've learnt its syntax through game modding.

ActionScript 3.0: By using Adobe's ActionScript 3.0 reference and looking for tips and tutorials online, I have now started making my first game.

Story: I've got a fair imagination, I'd say.

@Joris: Aww, don't give up so easily. Here's what I think:
Art: Concept art doesn't HAVE to be good. It just has to capture a concept.
Programming: You can always learn.
Story: Why not? Ideas are always welcome.
Anything: I'm not certain the exact direction that the game is going as far as maps and stuff, but I do know that making maps is a proceess that is always best to have other hands helping with. And I know you're creative in this sort of thing because your "Football" level is really cool and original.

As for me:
Art: I can sometimes whip up something decent, in a pinch. I'm better at modelling stuff in 3D and rendering out those images, but that probably won't fit with the rest of the art anyone else creates here. I'll try my hand at some drawing here in a bit.
Programming: For about 5 years. C, C++, a bit of VB, and plenty of XML. Bit rusty on my HTML/CSS.
Story: Dunno. I can write just about anything I put my mind to. Let me know what you guys think.
Making Levels: I've made quite a few for my own little games, so I think I know now what constitutes a 'bad' level as opposed to a 'good' level. It does take practice, though.

Back on topic: As for the art, did we want a side-scrolling, top-down, or isometric game? Did we decide yet?

EDIT: For fun (and practice), I went in and added some colors and details overtop of one of Howitz's images. Tell me what you think.

I'd like to help, but lets see...

Art: What is an art?

Programming: Nope, no HTML either.

Anything else: I like cheese.

Ooh, almost forgot, story:

I rest my case.

Here's a little magic spell picture I made in like 5 minutes. It shows two of my favorite spell drawing techniques, although I'm not sure they really work together. Puzzled

http://i56.tinypic.com/316og28.png

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

holy cucumber AP

Lol I see what you did with the background

Try to keep background black or white, so we can see the finer details (if its dark colored, use white background).

OK. I'll re-upload in a bit.

I can't see that going into our game. It's too complex, even if it looks good.

Wish I had the ability to post pictures like MOM D:

Btw MOM, it is a 2D side scroller, according to everyone else.

Anyway, here is what I did with MOM's picture:

original: http://oi51.tinypic.com/10youg1.jpg

new: http://i55.tinypic.com/dxipfa.png

More coming up.

RedTheGreen wrote:
I can't see that going into our game. It's too complex, even if it looks good.

The trail definitely works. The explosion, not so much.

I took Joris's art, and...

(left side, Character, right side, golem boss....thing)

http://i53.tinypic.com/29w8rox.jpg

Looks great!

And I think the explosion might still work okay, since it will just be momentarily on the screen. I have some other explosion styles I can do as well (such as Fireball and Flaming Sphere and Magic Missile), but that one's the easiest that doesn't require a source image. (Render Clouds, Ocean Ripple, Glass, Glowing Edges, Polar Coordinates, Wind, Polar Coordinates, Screen)

Also, the trail is pretty easy to make, Howitz, if you want to add it to your pics. Make a path, stroke with pressure, set brush to scatter, stroke with pressure.

Joris wrote:
Oh hi, I haven't been on the forums!
Yes, I saw Howitz art and his skill dropped me of my chair.
So I'll join:
Art: Not good
Programming: Pascal basics.
Story: Nope
Anything: Let me think...no...

I can't help!

i can't do much either. if you wanna help, download the project and beta-test it. that's what i'm doing. (although i'm trying to learn c++ and stuff to help more. it might take a while, though.)

-_-

I updated the project files by the way, in case you all don't check the post tracker.

What do you mean that magic effect AP made won't work? It looks awesome!

Also, I love what you did with 'my' picture, Howitz. This is why you're on art, not me. Tongue
And epic-looking golem dude, too. Smile

I mean the explosion looks a little odd for what we're doing. Of course it looks awesome, but this game isn't meant to look like that, is it?

SURE IT IS!
Dunno. Prolly the best way to tell is stick it ingame and see if it fits with the other artwork. But we'd have to have enough of a playable game and artwork to be able to do that. Tongue

On the subject of art style, I suggest (as I did before) a side-scrolling RPG. So we can have an RPG story, a quest system, spells, all that jazz, but side-scrolling.

If nobody has any objections, then I think we should establish this, since we really need to decide on something before we can start making the actual art, story, and almost everything else. Because we can't start making a game before we know what it's gonna look like.

I thought we already agreed like right in the beginning that it would be side scrolling?

Side-scrolling RPG it is, then. Sorry, it's probably just me being forgetful.

Spell Gallery 1 ready!

http://i53.tinypic.com/es1cgi.png

Fireball, Flaming Sphere, Fireball And Flaming Sphere Together, Magic Missile, and Ice Orb! All with and without a black backdrop!

RedTheGreen wrote:
Searching "roarsaucecopter" on Google links to this site only.

Please don't use this thread. Use the updated thread here.

well, try searching " typethekirdneharttopicphraseandseewhathappens "
type the kirdneh art topic phrase! Then see what happens.

-_-

kirdneh wrote:
RedTheGreen wrote:
Searching "roarsaucecopter" on Google links to this site only.

Please don't use this thread. Use the updated thread here.

well, try searching " typethekirdneharttopicphraseandseewhathappens "
type the kirdneh art topic phrase! Then see what happens.

Your search - typethekirdneharttopicphraseandseewhathappens - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
Try different keywords.
Try more general keywords.

and Nice AP, but they look too similar to the effect you posted before.

Testing a new brush, made a fireball:

http://i51.tinypic.com/11m886f.png

Awesome artwork, both of you. Me likes all of the above! Smile

I am going to put this in my art thread:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/280/9/e/wide_leafed_plant_with_re...

Oh yea, I will be using DeviantArt to post my pictures now.

and also, another random thing I did that might give ideas...I don't know.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/280/2/4/someday__we_too_can_see_t...

@AP Good effects! I especially like the green linear one, but the explosions should be a little smaller, I think. We shouldn't have explosions covering half the screen whenever there's combat. Wink

@Howitz Good, as usual. Tongue The fireball graphics look great. I can see them working in the game already.

Same here. Personally, I think that we're gonna go Braid-ish (that's not a bad thing).