Anyone?

100 replies [Last post]

Sooo... since it's been oh,... 3 months at least since I've heard anything going on with the game. Is anything happening? At all?

Red: Have you finished the game engine yet?

Howitz: Any new art?

Puggsoy: Any new story ideas?

AP: Any new members willing to learn instruments and can I send you the piano part yet?

As for me, I've started learning some basic programming with Dev-C++ just last night. Smile It's fun! Wink

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

Yeah, I messed around with C++ some time ago, I could never get as far as a GUI! For the vocals, I just recieved them, I'm on it!

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

ok! great!

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

So for the drums, it's not exactly the style I would play, nonetheless, I will try. For the vocals, it seems doable. I am more in the tenor range, I guess I'll just take the highest note and bring it down an octave. Hopefully, AP is a bass, I could see how that would work!

Zilch.

I should get on with it though. I'll try and write at least a sentence a day. At the rate this game is going, that's faster than necessary Tongue

@momo: I also messed around with C++ before getting to a GUI. I made a nice temperature converter though (F to C and vice versa). Then I decided that Flash would give faster results Wink

Funny, I did the same converter ^^" I thaught myself in "Le C++ pour les nuls", basically the equivalent of "C++ for dummies".

Gooballs: Sure, send me the piano part. I'll start to learn it. Smile

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Ap: Ok.

You know, a little while back I thought I would make a tutorial video on C++/SDL, so I did. It was rather lame as my microphone is just a 6-year old webcam, and I never made other parts for the tutorial. It does get you started though on game development, I'd hope to believe. It helps to know the basics before this though, but it shouldn't matter too much.

On another note, I've been busy. I'll get back and post updates soon.

If I ever start C++ again I might watch that.

momo1526 wrote:
Funny, I did the same converter ^^" I thaught myself in "Le C++ pour les nuls", basically the equivalent of "C++ for dummies".

I read an entire book called Learn to Program with C++ by John Smiley. It was really cool, he wrote it in the form of a fictional course he did with some fictional university students, and I followed all the exercises. It's much better than learning online, in my opinion.

Nice, though that SDL thingy looks quite interesting...

I had a go with it. It's pretty much as much work to learn as any language, since it's a pretty in-depth library. There are libraries to use within SDL, even.

Indeed. The pack I was using (I put together myself) included combined libraries for PNG support, OGG support, TTF support, XML support, and a collision library. All of them (except the XML one) run under SDL, and they are all in the Goofans Game engine.

Have we decided an official name for the game yet? Are there any suggestions? It would really help if I had some name to attach to give me an idea of what I'm writing music to. Even though I've got the basic idea a name of the game would really just clear things up a bit. Tongue

I like Subterrane, some other people suggested Beloh. Anyone remember where the name ideas went? Tongue

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I think there was a thread. Holdon.

EDIT: Yep. http://goofans.com/forum/goofans/goofans-game/2961

There was also another one, but it was more for arguing about the story.

Idea: The underworld has a sky, basically a middle-earth sort of thing.

I'm fond of the name Beloh.

We should also come up with a team name. Something other than "Goofans Game Team". Maybe something like Auspicious Rhino or something cool. Tongue

auspiscious rhino? how about conspiring clockmasters? or creative cream pies?

As for a name Beloh sounds like a person name... not so much a game name...

what about Escape from Eraxtia? or Caverns of Cawqueer? or World of Wixord?

Tongue Just throwing out suggestions. Smile

Terra Media? (literally, Middle-Earth)

Skipan? (apparently, it's Old Norse for "the group" or "the crew")

i like terra media. it sounds medieval-ish, which would be a good theme for the game.
a good team name would maybe be the (whatever you want here) guild?

-_-

I made up Beloh, so obviously I'm voting for that. It's supposed to be pronounced "below", similar to how Xotic is pronounced "exotic".

Terra Media would be a possible name for our group. There was a group of guys called "The Odd Gentlemen", who made The Misadventures Of P.B. Winterbottom. Something like "The [adjective] [noun plural]" would be awesome.

Going from "beloh", the IPA way of spelling it would have an epsilon instead of an e (and no h, but who cares). That might look cool.

*Googles "epsilon"*

You mean Bεloh? We could do that, although it's not that much different to E, and not many people will care or notice anyway.

And yeah, the H isn't necessary, but it looks better than "Belo", IMO.

I agree with that.

Actually, now that I looked at the different pronunciations of the word, it would actually be "bilo" in IPA (the letter I is the English "ee" sound). Which doesn't look nearly as cool.

I like subterraine, beloh has too many problems: not actual spelling or prononciation, or call it like B-loh, you know, cool sounding!

momo1526 wrote:
not actual spelling or prononciation!

That's the point. Duh Tongue

B-loh could work, but I'm unsure if people would make the connection with "below".

B-lo, B-low, something along those lines.

Beloh looks and sounds great. It gets my vote.

Hmm... Ok... Puzzled

RedTheGreen wrote:
Beloh looks and sounds great. It gets my vote.

http://3deadmonkeys.com/gallery3/var/albums/random_stuff/Carlton-Dance-G...

I must admit it looks pretty awesome, but will people understand the pronunciation?

That was my concern originally. I'm not sure.