Anyone?

100 replies [Last post]

That does sound better. I vote yes.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Which one?

Journey Beloh sounds great! I knew the name needed something but that was it! Smile

(As for me, until more music and parts are needed, I'm workin' on Earth Of Goo right now!) Laughing out loud

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

This required some thought. I think Journey Below is a better name.

I like Journey Below better, personally, but Journey Beloh works too.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

2 for Journey Below so far. We should get everybody's opinion.

Journey beloh, as it has a double meaning (sounds like below, means beloh) it would be cool to call the place Beloh as it sounds cool. "welcome to the secret world of Beloh, where adventure, excitement, and really wild things happen..."

-_-

Below IS the English equivalent to Beloh. It's pretty much the same thing. I polled some people on Facebook, and the whole "beloh" thing went straight over their heads. They thought it sounded dumb, which sparked this discussion.

Well... maybe you should poll again and see what better title they can think up... As far as I'm concerned, most of what you're coming up with works for me! Tongue

Kirdneh: Oh, minecraft? Or mine-cart-coaster-craft? Or epic-craft? Or...

COMPLETELY AWESOME!!! Laughing out loud

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

maybe the beloh thing is an inside joke kind of thing, like how in this one game series called Guybrush Threepwood (a pirate-themed logic game where you use stuff in your inventory and combine things and use the objects on stuff and all of that stuff) there is a salesman named stan. As the series began a long time ago, the graphic for stan's jacket made it look weired, and for a joke the jacket is still like that.
here:
http://miwiki.net/Stan#Appearance

-_-

Maybe. Your point is valid, but we ought to get one more person's opinion on the matter.

If my opinion is wanted:
I vote for Journey Below. It's understandable. Beloh is kind of vexing for me.

Alright. Unless 2 more people say otherwise, it seems we've got a name-change.

All right! Now I can title the music I wrote and not leave it with rather... undefined titles! Tongue Laughing out loud

Like "Caves of Carsork"? Wink

Yup! I just kinda threw that together before sending it out for practicing... If that's a good name, go ahead and use it somewhere else. Tongue

Sorry for missing all this Tongue

I was kind of enthusiastic about Beloh, but I can understand that some people might get confused. However, Journey Below doesn't really sound interesting or eye-catching. Personally I'd like a name that makes people say either "huh, that sounds cool" or "hey, what's that game about?". Journey Below sounds like a game for DOS, to be honest.

Here are a few more ideas from me:

Underearth/Under Earth (play on the word "underworld")
Caventure (cave+adventure)
Going Beneath
Nether/Netherworld
Chthonic/Chthonian (both mean "Dwelling beneath the surface of the earth")

In any case, I think that whatever we choose now will likely be a project name. Once I manage to put together a proper story, we'll have a plot and a theme, and then we can decide on a fitting title for the game.

I've been thinking the same thing, tbh. I know that it was my idea to change it from Beloh in the first place, and I stand by it. You're right in saying that "Journey Below" isn't as eye-catching as we'd want it to be.

Actually, I've been thinking, and we don't have to do this, but maybe we shouldn't make it cave-themed. After all, that's a theme a lot of modern games are using nowadays. We can have some cave areas throughout, but the main story shouldn't focus mainly on caves. That's a little bleak. Although Cave Story did it nicely, it won't be quite the same for us. Our game won't be as linear, so the way Cave Story was structured wouldn't really work.

My idea is that we make most of it overworld, allowing for some dungeons/areas to be underground but not everything. I'm going for Paper Mario here, not Cave Story.

But it's still up to all of us to decide. We're just at such an early point that changing the whole design like this won't be as annoying as later on.

Chthonic? That's a word? Awesome!

Exactly what I was thinking, AP Wink If that becomes a contender, I'm voting for it.

@Red: Indeed, I was also visualizing something like Paper Mario or Zelda. Even though the game is set underground, it shouldn't be heavily themed around caves or dungeons since, as previously mentioned, the world will probably have things like trees, rivers, maybe even mountains, and an extremely high (and thus sky-like) ceiling. It'll be just like outside, with a few major differences and lots of minor ones (e.g. no sun, but another source of light).

I honestly prefer games with a sky. I don't like the idea of being underground all the time.

And yet you love Cave Story Wink

But yeah, I don't think (or hope) that the ceiling will be too noticeable. It'll practically be like you above ground, as far as the atmosphere is concerned. At least, that's what I'm basing my story off of.

I agree with the underground world idea. Let me see...the other game I can think of that did something like that (besides Cave Story) was Zork, with the Great Underground Empire. They have some really cool areas that seem like they're aboveground, but they sort of cheat by having a "dim light from above" instead of a ceiling there.

OHMAN ZORK. I love zork. A text adventure, though, so no real graphics to go off of. Wink
I'd say that having it all underground, if we want to go that route, would be kinda cool. Just have different areas that appear inside/outside via context. You can kinda go wild with it all anyway, kinda like Journey to the Center of the Earth had a gigantic underground sea in a chamber that was so big it seemed like aboveground. You can kinda do whatever you want, really.

Yeah, that works then. This is going well. Smile

In addition, I think I mentioned earlier on (in some other thread) that we could maybe extend the game once the character has returned to the surface. The player could travel between the two worlds freely, and do favours for residents of both sides. For example (the same example I used before), the player could go underground to discover the cause of frequent earthquakes near a town.

However I can understand that this would seem like a bit much to pull off, in addition to the original game. I suggest that if the game goes well, we could release this extended gameplay (if we all agree on it, of course) as a sort of DLC.

I agree.

1.) how about everyone is in fear of someone or something and lives under the earth, but one guy (or girl) is sick off being underground, no matter how dutifulness it is. He begins journeys in valleys and shadows and swamps, but gets bolder and bolder and defeats what ever everyone is afraid of and no one has to live underground any more.
2.) Maybe Escape from Chthonian, Chthonian being the name of the underground world.
3.) maybe the spells we have are powered by special gems? if you get a gem you learn the spell? maybe you can only hold so many gems, so you have to plan which ones you use and trade them out at a special place in every town?

-_-

Technically Portal and Portal 2 is underground... Tongue But I agree that they should eventually see sky. Chthonian IS a cool name! Laughing out loud

But I wonder how you're supposed to pronounce it? In Ancient Greek that would be something like "kh-thoh-nee-ahn", with the th pronounced as an actual t followed by an h, as in "Thomas". Modern Greek would pronounce the th as in "thin". English spelling rules would have it pronounced as "tshuh-thoh-nee-uhn". (This would be so much easier with IPA)