Experamental games

32 replies [Last post]

Is there anyone who could tell me how to make a experamental game?

I made goomods.

No, because game programming is one of the most complicated forms of programming there is. I programmed in C++ for a couple years before I learned how, and I'm still learning myself. But if programming interests you, pick up a C or C++ book from the library and start reading.

Ok :/

I made goomods.

But if you're interested, Gooey, there are ways you could make games fairly easily. I'd recommend Scratch for starters. You can make all sorts of things with it. Smile

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

after that, maybe you can make your first world of goo level, and go on from there.

-_-

Eventually you could try making some sort of text-based game in C++, then start using SDL/Win32API/QT, and so on.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

You're right; I take that back. You can make simple games fairly easily in something like Game Maker without knowing how to program (That's what Goosweek used for Platforms of Goo), and even I've made a game in Game Maker before. Of course, with enough time and effort, you can make really high-quality, professional games (Two of this years' IGF finalists - Spelunky and Gunpoint - both were created with Game Maker).

Game Maker was a fun program. Smile It's really nice to use for beginning developers.

Guys what is C++? I think my friend Tacomann15 told me about it and that you can make your own games with it...

C++ is how most applications (like Firefox, Internet Explorer, World of Goo, etc.) were constructed. Separate from other programming languages, C++ is object-oriented and is the industry standard for games. A specific profession known as programmer can be hired to write code for things like games and word-processors. MOM4Evr (AP?) and I are learning C++. It's not the easiest thing to learn, but once you understand the basics, it's easy to pick up new things.

C++ ok I get it

I made goomods.

Flash's ActionScript isn't too shabby. A lot of logic is still needed to make anything decent, but graphics is handled very simply. And if you use a library like Flixel or Flashpunk, simple games become a piece of cake.

Could someone give me a more complex experamental game maker

I made goomods.

C++ is very advanced. But it is also therefore difficult to learn. I'd reccomend using Scratch first. Then if you want to get more advanced, try a text-based game with HTML. Add some JavaScript later. And so on. That's how I learned to program.

HTML, in my opinion, is one of the easiest to learn, but only works in browsers, and cannot make a game on its own. HTML + Javascript gives you interactive-ness, so a game can be made. HTML + CSS (not necessary) + Javascript gives you interactive-ness and a cool looking website Tongue

I sound like a guru or something, dont I?

I HAVE RETURNED!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAH!!!!!

Formerly,
GooMaster2000

Game Maker is really simple and understandable. I honestly recommend you try it, and get into using GML (Game Maker Language) as it's very similar to C++ (the difference being classes and headers are auto-defined/included and functions are GUI-based).

The kind of game I was suggesting with HTML was something like this:

You see a gemstone on the ground in front of you. Do you <a href="branch1.html">pick it up</a> or <a href="branch2">walk right past</a>?

But Game Maker is probably more like what Gooey had in mind.

If you are willing to dive into the deep end head-first, Unity may be a strong option

Formerly,
GooMaster2000

Good god, Lemon. Unity is far off.

?
I was just suggesting...

Formerly,
GooMaster2000

I once made a track on scratch,if you touched the black,it makes a sound,then stops.

I made goomods.

Nice! Good progress. Maybe follow some tutorials or read up on doing more with that, like making a cat appear when you touch the black.

That's exactly how I learnt to make simple games. Try making it so that if you hit a wall, you'll bounce off it (or something similar)

Or just listen to RedTheGreen. He knows more than I do Tongue

Formerly,
GooMaster2000

If you're on mac, I suggest GameSalad.

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

Game salad?
(\_/)
(><)
([][])

I made goomods.

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

maybe a bit too far,i'm only 9 guys
and unity might be my favriote

mac osx or whatever

(\_/)
(><)
([][])
this is goomatz

Posts merged by puggsoy, glue supplied by Puggsoy Inc.

I made goomods.

Um...why is that Goomatz?

it looks like a bunny about to get hit with a hammer.

----(00)
*bam*

-_-

----(00)
(\_/)
(><)
([][])

I made goomods.

oh yea about scratch
i make some thing like this gooey

when flag clicked
set direction to loudness x 15

so when flag clicked
the arrow will spin (clockwise)when you shout
the louder you shout the aaa.. spinier aa...
you get what i mean

and that is just a simple script
if you want another i always be there Wink

All my addin | I love you World of Goo!