Using game maker

34 replies [Last post]

Hello! What does game maker do and is it awesome

be-

gooey goo

I made goomods.

It makes games.
I have no idea if it is awesome or not, because I have never used it. But I guess it is useful to make small and easy games.

Ok. Well, I guess this topic is locked Puzzled

I made goomods.

You should ask Goosweek, I've never used it. Sorry.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Game Maker is a WYSIWYG editor for designing games in a fairly simple, intuitive manner. It's a great tool for beginners, as it hides all the "hard" stuff like coding and designing engines and stuff like that. However, because it's so easy to use, a lot of young kids have picked it up and have made "games" that are complete and utter crap. This has caused a backlash in gamers, who now equate Game Maker with terrible games, which is simply not true. Spelunky and Gunpoint are two fantastic professional indie games created with Game Maker, and are universally heralded as very good games. In short, Game Maker is just a tool, and you can create good games with it, but most people who use Game Maker lack the skill or knowledge to do so.

I personally think it's a fantastic program for beginners. Make a ton of games in Game Maker and learn about game design that way. They'll be bad games at first, but the first few games you make will be bad games no matter how you're making them, and it's easier than learning how to program.

If I recall correctly, there's a pro version that costs money that you can do cool stuff with, like scripting in a C++-style language. But if you're just fiddling around with it, the free version is cool too. I've toyed with it some, and you can do some neat stuff fairly easily.

Ok, but why does everybody have little inferno pics? is it out?

I made goomods.

Not just yet. But it will be released very soon.
The few with Little Inferno pics were lucky and chosen as beta tester. We caught fire.

(I was the first to change avatar Laughing out loud)

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

So, I could edit my pic for LI?

I made goomods.

Sure you can Smile

(People might think you have the beta though Tongue)

If you want to change your profile pic, don't ask. Just go ahead. We couldn't stop you if we tried.

I like the head of burning man. Tongue

My Profile

Momo, how did you get yours to look so accurate? :S

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I assumed he just burned a picture with his profile pic on it. You can burn your pictures. I burned a photo of my dog. Unintentionally, of course; I like my dog. Tongue

hi gooey goo long tome no see Smile

for me game maker is a simple tool and not a major one... Wink
but like MOM4Evr say

MOM4Evr wrote:
I personally think it's a fantastic program for beginners.

i think that is true, because...

Mom knows the best Tongue

All my addin | I love you World of Goo!

I choose mine!

(Why did I pick something totally random?)

AP: why did you change so fast!??

(Merged posts - puggsoy)

I made goomods.

AP is quick,so as the other other beta testers *feels lonely*.My burning man head should look a beta tester,it does have the word 'burning'. Tongue

My Profile

I just burned my profile picture in the game, the rest was done with gimp.

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

I should have done that, but I'm too lazy to figure out where it reads pictures from.

Sort of sucks that the only way to burn your own pictures (without editing the game files) is [method I will suppress to minimize spoiling of game]. Otherwise I'd probably do it too.

Can't you use [COMMENT] ?

[comment]

hey.. i know what you guys talking Wink

All my addin | I love you World of Goo!

Me too. Wink

[COMMENT]

MOM4Evr wrote:
I assumed he just burned a picture with his profile pic on it. You can burn your pictures.

[COMMENT]

[COMMENT]?

I made goomods.

gooey goo wrote:
[COMMENT]?

It might be better if we don't explain for now...

[COMMENT]

EDIT: Deleted those two very large posts by gooey goo. Also I hid it for a reason, so don't go posting it.

[COMMENT]

[COMMENT]

I made goomods.

This is getting way offtopic. Shouldn't we move any further discussion about Little Inferno over here?