Level editor keeps closing after I open it

48 replies [Last post]

no changes

today is a goo-d day | billy2000's levels http://goofans.com/user/10648 | This account is no longer in use.

Well that's extremely strange, then. Have you tried redownloading it?

yes

today is a goo-d day | billy2000's levels http://goofans.com/user/10648 | This account is no longer in use.

I think momo was right. Try to reinstall Python.
Before you ask again: http://bit.ly/sx3bSb

That dosent work I will never get it to work
if I cant find out what the problem is I will leave goofans
if I do find the problem I wont leave goofans

Rather than ragequitting over simple problems, you could actually follow some of our instructions for a change.

Albino Pokey wrote:
Try going to C:\Program Files (x86?)\WOG Corp\WooGLE\ and shift-right-click on the background. Select "Open Command Window Here". In the window that comes up, type "wogeditor". Hit Enter. Watch if anything appears. If that doesn't work, try adding "2>err.log 1>out.log" after the command.

As far as I know, you haven't tried this yet, and this should give you quite a lot of important information.

when I do that it already has:

C:\Program Files \WOGCorp\WoGEditor>

and when I press enter it just dus C:\Program Files \WOGCorp\WoGEditor> again on the same window
what should I do?

You should type "wogeditor" in the window and then press enter. If that doesn't work, press "wogeditor 2>err.log 1>out.log" and hit enter.

ok I did that it comes up with leveleditor and it closes again

On which one? With the first command, it should show something in the window. If it doesn't, use the second.

With the second, type "type err.log" and watch what it says. Then, "type out.log".

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

when I did what puggsoy said to write it said access is denied
and when I wrote what albino pokey wrote it did not work

THAT may tell us something valuable. Do you have administrator access on the computer you're using? Or are you on a limited account? Could be that you have to run WOGEditor as admin. Worth a shot, anyhoo.

What AP and puggsoy are suggesting are ways via the terminal to redirect debug output from stderr and stdout to files. However, they should display on the terminal anyway. For the program to quit without debug output is possible, depending on how Daft set it up, but not likely.

As another possibility, pop open Task Manager right after you open the program and it closes immediately (right-click taskbar->Start Task Manager), click the "Processes" tab, and look for an entry labeled "wogeditor.exe" on the left side (sorting by name helps). Is there one there? The process could have turned zombie. There could even be several. If there are any, force-kill all of them (ignore any warning messages Windows pops up) and try running the program again.

You are still being exceedingly unhelpful and obscenely vague in your responses. I typed out quite a lot describing just how unhelpful and vague you have been so far for you to read at your leisure: (removed - sorry, this was kinda mean) , which I didn't post directly because I was pretty mad when I wrote it. Apologies for it being rather inflammatory; these are just my blunt gut reactions to your posts on this thread.

On with another thing you can try: Try redownloading the editor and installing it in a non-write-protected folder, like your Documents folder.

Respond when you've tried all of the things I suggested here, detailing exactly what you did (down to each individual character you typed and each mouse click you made, if you aren't certain what information to include) for each. Thanks.

Also, anybody know where WooGLE keeps its config file?

MOM4Evr wrote:
What AP and Albino are suggesting...

I lol'd.

I also saw that pastebin stuff. That's a lot of stuff, but it's making your point.

I dunno about WooGLE's config file, but if you had WooGLE's installer's code (e.g. NSIS script, if it was made with that) then you'd be able to see where it extract any such file to.
Also, I just realised that for some reason I'm using version 0.77 final, not 0.78 RC3. So I should get that.

Oh. Haha, Thanks. Corrected. Tongue

I would think the config file would be generated on the fly, so maybe the config got corrupted, and deleting it would fix the problem. Dunno. Just another thing to try. I can't find where the config is located, though. It may be in the install folder.

Y'know, it's time like these when we need DaB. It's not very nice to make an awesome, widely-used utility, then leave it in beta and disappear.

I'll try and look for a config file tomorrow, if nobody's found it by then. Getting late now.

WOW. That paste is kind of angry, but I kind of agree with it. Sorry, Billy.

I'd recommend using DOS for most of this, running as admin. It will prevent a lot of little problems, and we can tell you exactly how to test it. Go to the Start Menu, All Programs, Accessories, and right-click on Command Prompt. Choose "Run as Administrator". If that option isn't there, use your computer's admin account and try again.

Now type exactly the following, without the quotes:

"taskkill /im wogeditor.exe"
"cd c:\Program Files (x86)\WoGCorp\WoGEditor\" (or whatever your install path is)
"wogeditor"
"wogeditor > all.txt"
"type all.txt"
"type all.txt | more"
"wogeditor 2>err.log 1>out.log"
"type err.log"
"type err.log | more"
"type out.log"
"type out.log | more"

Tell us EXACTLY what it says on the screen after each step. Then maybe we can fix it.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Yeah, sorry about that. Reading over it again, it was quite mean on my part. Link removed. There wasn't really any good reason for me to be that rude.

BTW, to clarify, I think the first step should be: "taskkill /im wogeditor.exe"
second step: "cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\WOGCorp\WoGEditor""

Good point. Fixed.