Political/Religious Debate

469 replies [Last post]

You forgot to mention its an animated movie, so it wasn't filmed.

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

Really?

I made goomods.

MOM4Evr wrote:
Then the question is how much color matters. A lot of animals can't even see color. Wink

i wonder if there are colors we can't see. Also, what do blind people see when they imagine things or are dreaming? maybe they see colors we couldn't process. does that mean then that blind people can "see" better than us?

-_-

Well, the electromagnetic spectrum extends WAAAAAAY out on either side of the light we can see. Infrared, ultraviolet, radiowaves, microwaves, X-rays, et cetera. Some people are actually able to see ultraviolet as a whitish-blue after eye surgery, if the cornea (which is meant to block UV) is damaged.

I guess blind people would see the colors we do, simply because our brains are 'programmed' for red, green, and blue. But maybe if they'd never seen the color, they wouldn't recognize them. Hm.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

maybe if we have the technology to see what is in people's mind (with there permission of course) we can see what blind people can see. actually, if we see some thing, we know they don't experience any unknown colors, but if we can't process it (we see nothing) we can find out. or maybe they imagine in sound, feel, taste, and touch.

-_-

The electromagnetic spectrum goes way beyond visible light. What we see is nothing in comparison to the big picture. The light our eyes receive is filtered. If it wasn't, we would be seeing too much.

And some of the radiation has a LOT of energy in it. Even ultraviolet is intentionally filtered out by our eyes.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Ultraviolet radiation would be very harmful to our eyes. Imagine there being no ozone to protect us from it.

Or something with even more energy than that. Say, gamma rays.

I'm going to lose my hair! D:

Goo energy,I wonder...

I made goomods.

Talking about colours, I always had an idea that people see colours differently.
Like, for example, your red might be my yellow. The thing is that we can only define colours by their names, so we can't test such a theory (yet).

@puggsoy: That's an interesting thought. It may explain why GARDENERS ALWAYS CALL PURPLE FLOWERS BLUE! Stare

@puggsoy: That's what stoners say when they're high. It's a typical joke on TV, sometimes when extremely drunk. It's likely not to be true, as "dark" and "light" would no longer apply to some colors. So explain why everyone thinks black is dark?

we all know that certain colors are dark, but if we were to switch views with someone, we would receive a bizarre new angle of reality.

-_-

Goo colour,I wonder...

I made goomods.

Wikigoo-4evr wrote:

Wikigoo-4evr wrote:
I don''t believe that Christianity is religion but a reality

And there are reasons between reality and religion but I can't explain it. You made me hurt because of this forum, Red. When I joined you weren't talking to anyone but now you came and... You are kind of selfish you know.

I got really angry so sorry...

Way to go WikiGoo! I'm a Christian too and it IS A REALITY!!

If you'd like me debate some scientific evidence to help you prove your points on how Christianity is true I can help. But It will take me a while to always reply because I have to do research to prove my points.

Also I don't get the thing with sausage... All I know is: IT TASTES GOO-D!!!!

Lol! Laughing out loud

Stare at everyone else. Stare If you get too wrapped up in this thing it's not gonna be pretty!

Also I'm 16 WikiGoo so this forum kind of insulted me too... but hey everyone has different beliefs and reasoning so debating it is ok as long as no one dies from emotional meltdown!

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube www.scarletfury.com !

RedTheGreen wrote:
@puggsoy: That's what stoners say when they're high. It's a typical joke on TV, sometimes when extremely drunk. It's likely not to be true, as "dark" and "light" would no longer apply to some colors. So explain why everyone thinks black is dark?

Because black isn't a colour, it is the absence of light, or "nothing". Therefore everyone would have the same view of black and darkness. Similarly, since white is all of the colours combined, that would also be the same for everyone.

I'm not saying that what I see to be light blue would be dark red to you, just that blue would be red. Light and darkness would stay the same, so light blue would be light red (or pink).

Actually, thats quite disturbing, how can I be certain the blue I see is the same than the blue you see, your blue could show up green to me but I would still call it blue, so we would never know! Its all a question of point of view. Say the preview button is green, but maybe I see green in the colour you see red, but I would call it green because thats the way people taught me. Damn, this is mind boggling!!! *goes insane because of puggsoy*

Wikigoo-4evr wrote:

Wikigoo-4evr wrote:
I don''t believe that Christianity is religion but a reality

And there are reasons between reality and religion but I can't explain it. You made me hurt because of this forum, Red. When I joined you weren't talking to anyone but now you came and... You are kind of selfish you know.

I got really angry so sorry...

Did I reply to this yet? Hmm.

1. I only post when I think I should. I never post things like "meet on chat!" or "this thread is scary and you guys shouldn't have it."
2. This is just a debate. No need to be butthurt.
3. What is reality for you is just a concept to others. That's the way most Americans are brought up, which is why MOM4Evr, Howitz, and myself are not offended by you speaking your mind. In fact, we find it strange that you want us to hold back our opinions on the matter.
4. I never meant to offend. I just wanted a nice little discussion which turned out great. I loved all the points that were brought up, but you were offended because of your religion.
5. You do realize religion and science are completely separate things? Science is a way to understand the world and deduce explanations for things we are questioning, while religion is a way of interpreting the things around us as creations, which is true more or less.
6. Science has yet to totally disprove religion, and I would never try to eliminate your faith.

momo1526 wrote:
*goes insane because of puggsoy*

You're welcome. Hungry for more? Check out the fourth dimension.

puggsoy wrote:
Check out the fourth dimension.

A good explanation:

He talks like Smith from The Matrix. Smile

I actually saw that two about half a year ago Laughing out loud He really does explain it quite well, and it gives you something to think about in bed.

I was looking on the Wikipedia page and found Flatland. I saw the short animated film (the physical DVD, I mean) in a library once but didn't have the chance to take it out.

I really want to read Flatland now. And see the short film. And the full length one. Man I'm a nerd.

I learned about the fourth dimension in high school algebra class, and it's really cool. This site has a lot of interesting information.

RedTheGreen wrote:
What is reality for you is just a concept to others. That's the way most Americans are brought up, which is why MOM4Evr, Howitz, and myself are not offended by you speaking your mind. In fact, we find it strange that you want us to hold back our opinions on the matter.

Let me make this clear - I agree wholeheartedly with Wiki about the reality vs. opinion. You can believe without a shadow of a doubt that the computer I'm typing this on doesn't exist, and you can offer logical arguments and opinions one way or the other, and it won't change the fact that it exists. Your opinions don't matter in the slightest, as they won't change anything. There's nothing against you voicing your opinion, and I can't change your opinion with a brute force method, but you're still dead wrong.

RedTheGreen wrote:
Science is a way to understand the world and deduce explanations for things we are questioning, while religion is a way of interpreting the things around us as creations, which is true more or less.

A point on this as well: religion should rather be classified as a set of beliefs about God, the afterlife, etc. rather than strictly "You believe in God, therefore you have a religion, whereas I believe in no God, therefore I do not have a religion". To make such a claim implies some sort of grand imbalance or intelligence on your part for saying there isn't a God, when in fact, you just hold different religious beliefs. I tend to classify Atheism as a religion, since it falls under the same definition, at least the ones I've read.

For example,

Wikipedia wrote:

Religion is a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that establishes symbols that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.

Atheism holds:
Cultural system: Materialism - Grab all the money while you can
Belief system: There is no God
Worldview: Depends on the person
Relation between humanity and spirituality: When you die, that's it
Moral values: Depend on the person, and are generally passed down from parents and figures of authority.

Am I making sense?

scientific breakthrough:
is light just the absence of darkness?

-_-

kirdneh wrote:
scientific breakthrough:
is light just the absence of darkness?

whoa

MOM4Evr wrote:
Let me make this clear - I agree wholeheartedly with Wiki about the reality vs. opinion. You can believe without a shadow of a doubt that the computer I'm typing this on doesn't exist, and you can offer logical arguments and opinions one way or the other, and it won't change the fact that it exists. Your opinions don't matter in the slightest, as they won't change anything. There's nothing against you voicing your opinion, and I can't change your opinion with a brute force method, but you're still dead wrong.

I guess I need to say this again: "Oh no! He has an opinion that's different from my own!"
MOM4Evr wrote:
A point on this as well: religion should rather be classified as a set of beliefs about God, the afterlife, etc. rather than strictly "You believe in God, therefore you have a religion, whereas I believe in no God, therefore I do not have a religion". To make such a claim implies some sort of grand imbalance or intelligence on your part for saying there isn't a God, when in fact, you just hold different religious beliefs. I tend to classify Atheism as a religion, since it falls under the same definition, at least the ones I've read.

For example,

Wikipedia wrote:

Religion is a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that establishes symbols that relate humanity to spirituality and, sometimes, to moral values.

Atheism can definitely be classified as a religion. In fact, there are many Unitarian fellowship churches around the world where atheists can meet and discuss philosophy and moral lessons learned from other religions. For example, lessons from Buddha are studied closely at one near me every Sunday. They also have a choir.

MOM4Evr wrote:
Atheism holds:
Cultural system: Materialism - Grab all the money while you can
Belief system: There is no God
Worldview: Depends on the person
Relation between humanity and spirituality: When you die, that's it
Moral values: Depend on the person, and are generally passed down from parents and figures of authority.

This is extreme prejudice. Especially this line: Cultural system: Materialism - Grab all the money while you can
That sounds a lot like you're saying atheists have low moral values and only care about assets. This is true for people from every religion and should not be assumed from one place. That's like saying British people only like tea and never drink coffee. Also, the "worldview" depends on the person regardless of religion/background.

In addition, religion really depends on the circumstances of your birth. If, say, you were born in India, you would most likely be raised Hindu. If you were born in America, (which you were) you would likely turn out Christian but with a lot of exceptions. It really depends on how you grew up. There's no point in yelling at someone for the beliefs they grew up with. If I was born to a different family, I'd likely have different views on the matter.

For the record, I'm not atheist. I'm somewhat Unitarian but I would prefer to say I am not part of the concept of religion. There are times I look at the world's numerous types of churches and holy ways. There are so many. When you try and say faith is the thing making you so sure your religion is correct, you need to realize people of other religions have the same answer. Faith plays a part in everyone's lives. If a Chinese Shinto told you his son could not see at birth, and because of praying to his ancestors for weeks on end, the boy finally opened his eyes and saw the world. This could be considered a miracle. If you can look him in the eye and tell him his faith is wrong and he should be open to others, then I'll forfeit the argument.

EDIT: I accidentily contradicted myself in earlier paragraphs. I ended up changing it slightly. Thanks MOM.

Smart words attack(Expecting a comment trolling me).

Hey You!
Start the fun and Install the fan made CHAPTER 6: MOON OF GOO

Who do you take me for? Of course I've heard of the next dimensions, but they're just simply impossible for us to concieve, poor little 3D beings... Imagine a gooball, he would be like, "the Z axis???" Though images do have different depths, the gooballs don't but you get my point: it is impossible for us to imagine the fourth dimension (unless you consider the the fourth dimension to be time, but that's another story...)