Public area -- level ideas, brainstorming, concepts, sketches..

90 replies [Last post]

It would be illegal! Look at eula.txt in the WorldOfGoo folder Wink

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Not any more illegal than TFR or FarLands. It wouldn't be standalone.

But...

"2D Boy EULA" wrote:

1.2 Restrictions. You may not (i) decompile, disassemble or reverse engineer the Game or otherwise attempt to gain access to its source code, except to the extent that such restrictions are expressly prohibited by law; (ii) copy, offer for public display or create derivative works thereof, except to the extent that such restrictions are expressly prohibited by law; (iii) rent, lease, loan, sublicense or distribute the Game, or offer it on a pay-per-play, coin-op or other for charge (or free) basis; (iv) use the Game to infringe the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of others in any way; (v) modify or delete the copyright and other proprietary rights notices on or in the Game.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

im making WOG2 though (its gonna be 5 mods). Its taking time though

TM13's View of the World of Goo: PART 1 is now out!

(I now go by ENDESGA)

I don't see why creating a .exe would make our project illegal. An EXE file is just a container (like AVI or OGG), it produces almost the same results as a big .goodmod file : installing/providing files of our game.

And about the legal issues, we "finished" to talk about this issue since I received Kyle's email : http://goofans.com/forum/world-of-goo/modding/1586

I vote for a big Goomod file since this filetype is something we all know well.

By the way, it won't hurt GooTool to promote it a little bit more. Imagine the day, when our project/game will be finished : we will invite players to 1) come to goofans.com and 2) download Gootool 3) comment about the game on Goofans forums.

I only see positive points with a goomod file.

Come chat with us !
http://goofans.com/irc.php

aah, this sense of exe xD ok.
but still goomod will be better!

I'm just saying, Kyle and Ron approve of goomods, but probably don't want us decompiling their game Wink

I haven't decompiled anything. Have you ?

By decompiling, do you mean.. using the tool ResHack ?
Or maybe the fact that we are all using WoG content for our mods ?

Actually, the game content isn't protected at all, no DRM or anything like that.. so modding has been easy since the begining. And even if we package our mod in a .exe file doesn't mean we decompiled the original WorldofGoo.exe file.

Come chat with us !

i know this is kinda random but, 2 things, 1. Who likes my new profile pic?. 2. Does anyone want me to make a profile pic for them?

(I now go by ENDESGA)

good pic! But i like my current one Laughing out loud
[i invited you on facebook Tongue but end of offtop]

tacomann13 wrote:
i know this is kinda random but, 2 things, 1. Who likes my new profile pic?. 2. Does anyone want me to make a profile pic for them?

What is the relationship with the topic of this forum?!
Thank you for not posting anything in any forum.

(As a moderator, I have to make people follow the rules, sorry)

Come chat with us !

You know how you have made gootool with the extension of a .goomod file why dont you make something Like that so if you want to open WoG2 you click on (maybe Name it) Game Launcher And you can pick to Load Just World of goo or Wog2??? So when you install The game launcher it contains a .(name of extension) for WoG2 witch will Put a Temporary folder into the WoG folder name WoG2 like what gootool does.and when you exit world of goo it deletes the temp folder.??? Please Respond

Ummm, it's a possibility.
But I think a big .goomod would work better. Making a separate "Wog launcher" program would take more time than just having two separate folders: one for WOG and one for WOG2. Good idea, though.

So far as I can see... there's NO advantages to an "exe" / custom installer thing.
You can't legally distribute copies of the original game exe and other stuff, so couldn't include them in a installer... so either the installer is going to have to locate the original WoG folder, and copy the game exe, or the player will have to.

The main advantage of a .goomod is... cross-platform.
"exe" will only work on windows, so you'd need a second installer build for linux, and a third one for MAC with the files all encoded into the MAC Formats.

The main disadvantage of the goomod is... (at the moment)...
If you want to add mods on top of WoG2, GooTool will reinstall the whole of the WOG2 mod each time you click Save.
This problem goes away once davidc get the new "Fast Rebuild" going in GooTool..
Although right now.. I really wouldn't like to bet on which will be available first. Wink

My Thoughts / Ideas.
i) If GooTool doesn't have the "Fast Rebuild" ready...
Some "Installation" instructions for WoG2
Change the "modded" folder in GooTool to .../WoG2
Install WoG2 addin only and click Save.
Now change the "Original" folder in GooTool to WoG2 and Change the "modded" folder to "Wog2modded"
This way you have WoG2 as a "base".. and GooTool will only copy the files needed for the other installed addins, and won't try to copy the whole of WoG2 every time you click save.

ii) Make WoG2 only 4 chapters, not 5, and build a new massive island (maybe island1) with ALL the original levels in, and that has room for custom levels.

iii)Make the first level of WoG2 (in island2 maybe) depend on the Observatory Observation station.. so you can only play WoG2 if you've completed the original.

Nice idea DaB, but I discovered a very interesting bug when working on AP:

Whether you can access an island map is based on whether you have completed the last level, in order, in the previous islandX.xml.bin.

To see what I mean, install AP and create a new account. The levels are unlocked but the map isn't.

I thought.. and so far my test confirm it...

A Chapter is "enabled" if ANY of the levels in it, are available to play.
A level is available to play is it has no depends attribute in the island.xml...
or if it does have depends the level it depends on is complete.

My tests...
Change depends of Drool to "EconomicDivide"
New Profile,
play Going Up... Ch2 not available
play Small Divide .. Ch2 is available.. can enter and play Drool

Remove depends from Drool
New profile... Ch1 and Ch2 available right from the start
Can play Drool first, before even going into Ch1.

Well, try my test! It didn't work! Maybe it's if the first level is enabled? Drool is still #1 in i2 with AP mod.

I was thinking you might distribute it as an nsis/whatever installer that prompts the user to locate their original WoG and then copies the files it needs out of there.

However as DaB points out that might be hard to test cross-platform.

I'm up for adding a feature to goomods to declare them 'total overhauls' whereby gootool prompts you for a new custom directory just for that mod. Or perhaps a goomod can create a new 'flavour' and then mods can be written that amend that 'flavour'. Hmm.

-davidc

Nice! Another idea: make a prompt for what chapter a chapter addin overrides, and cut out all the chapter merge stuff (put it in the manifest). This might be hard to do though. Smile

Make a chapter called "Extra Chapter: The Goobrids"(Yes, I'm still talking about the goobrids). It will explain the goobrids with more datail than any other level in any other chapter. It will take place in WoG corp's secret testing lab. You see a screen playing an old black and white movie explaining the goobrids. After that, the tv turns off and you start playing levels with the goobrids. The goobrids appear in many other levels troughout the game, but this is where your skills with the goobrids are realy put to the test. I will post many levels, each explaining them one goobrid at a time. tell me what you think when I post the levels.

AKA "Goobomber" practically everything else

T̶h̶e̶ G̶o̶o̶b̶r̶i̶d̶s̶:̶ C̶o̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ 's̶o̶o̶n̶' (̶V̶a̶l̶v̶e̶ T̶i̶e̶m̶)̶ ...if WoG 2 has modding support and I can remember what ideas I had a decade ago, maybe? No clue, I was like 12

Profile pic from Ne

Use Goovie to make the cutscene, and a pm_ button to play it.

wow, you guys wont BELIEVE how good my WoG2 is goin ^_^
Im quite proud of myself

a question
When Im finished MY WoG2, can I help you guys?

(I now go by ENDESGA)

Tacomann13: How many times do I need to answer this question? I already answered here: http://www.goofans.com/forum/world-of-goo/general-discussion/1868#commen...

Edit: I see you down there, you dirty little spammer! We haven't had any of you guys lately... but that doesn't mean we miss you. Go away.
Yay for moderators who get rid of nasty spammers!

...i guess

oh, and, welcome to Goofans!

(I now go by ENDESGA)

Who are you welcoming to Goofans?

The spammer that just had his post and (maybe) account deleted. YAY DAVIDC! For protecting our site, I owe you a cookie and a glass of Orange juice. Big smile

bye bye spammer.....
anyway heres my idea
how about a fire goo ball
that lights things on fire
and never burns out but
pops when in the water
it is invulnerable to explosions and fire too
i call it the red head!
Tongue

get my first theme here:
http://goofans.com/download/theme/ivygreen
it is called ivygreen
"SAVE THE WHALES
COLLECT THE WHOLE SET!"

Is it possible to make a gooball that dies due to contact with water? I think the only way to make them die in water is with a geometry in the water with the deadly tag.

yea i am not sure

get my first theme here:
http://goofans.com/download/theme/ivygreen
it is called ivygreen
"SAVE THE WHALES
COLLECT THE WHOLE SET!"

Or mostlydeadly water, with most Goo Balls invulnerable.

If a Goo Ball is on fire, water makes it blow up! Like sodium Laughing out loud