some news

29 replies [Last post]

me and puggsoy had a chat now.
about a movie contest and the 'movie' addin type.

we discussed about the 'movie' addin type that I would be a movie publisher, and I would create a badge for it. but davidc would have a lot work to do.
also puggsoy said that a movie contest would be possible.

and some badges:
"Movie maker" for creating 15 movies in levels
"Movie Master" for creating 30 movies in levels

who aggre's about this?

I'd just like to add what I said in the chat.

While I'm sure movie-related badges are possible, AFAIK the only way to determine how many movies you have created within levels is by moderators (or a movie publisher, if that idea happens) counting manually. Personally I think this is monotonous, inaccurate, and generally inconsistent since all current badges (with the exclusion of the Cheater badge) are given and managed automatically by the site.

However, I think that a movie creation contest (MCC) is quite possible and actually not that bad an idea. Obviously, as we discussed in another thread movie addins aren't as convenient as they could be, due to the absence of the "movie" addin type in Goomods/GooTool. But as long as the submitters package their Goomods well, then I think that an MCC is easily doable.

so shall I create a new topic about the MCC and that it's starting and users should make their movies till 25th february?

OR

wait till davidc reads this and creates the MAT (movie addin type) and the movie publisher?

He won't make a badge nor will he make a new section (maybe). He'll likely just tell you to upload your movies to "Addins (other)".

Yeah, I'll think we'll have to do what Red said. But yeah, if you like you can make an MCC. It'll give me an excuse to try out GooVIE.

Wait, I thought gootool didn't support movies! Or am I missing something?

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

GooTool supports the override folder, which in turn supports anything.

Ah, so it just can't make wog read it, but you can make a level with a movie?

Technically. To see how to do this, study "Hang Low" and figure out how it had the outtro movie for the WoGcorp being opened.

Or you can replace the intro movie. The only problem with that is that unless you edit MapWorldView, you'll have temp_main playing in the background.

No problem, I'm waaay too lazy to add movies to my levels!
On an unrelated subject, can you guys check the level I just uploaded? You need linux though...

I'd prefer it if you didn't ask on the forums. The queue is still massive, and we're trying to trudge through levels. Personally I want to get old ones out of the way first, so, it might take some time before someone checks yours.

By the way, your .goomod should't need Linux. Remember that you put .xml files in the compile folder, not .bins in the override folder.

Thats not the problem, the level actually requires multimouse which requires linux, or am I wrong? And the xml files are just there because I manually decrypted and edited the gooball and left them there. My WooBLE source runs but saves nothing, do you have a fix for that?

I dunno, if you're trying to run WooBLE it via Linux then I can't help you there.

And I'm not sure if it's really possible to make a level that's impossible without multimouse. I mean, maybe a level where you have to build really quick or something, but really good players (like Peter B) might be able to do it by themselves.
But yeah, most people might need multimouse. In that case MOM will have to test your level.

I will make a singlemouse version Smile but the full experience is with multimouse!

I had the idea to port pong to World of Goo. It would need multimouse to play against each other.

You mean the way you ported Peggle? Sounds doable though, a couple of rectheads in a tube and forcefields should do the trick Laughing out loud

Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard to realise.
edit:
I never started with editing, because I think too less player have the multimouse option.

Do you run linux?

No, I'm on Vista Sick

Ah, but running linux alongside any OS is possible:
http://wubi.sourceforge.net/

It might even be possible to Cygwin a copy of WoG. I never tried.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Dual boot > Wubi. Tongue

Though I admit that wubi is good for someone unsure about Linux. It's easier to uninstall without breaking your bootloader...

Wubi didn't even work for me. Tongue I just manually installed, it takes only a short amount of time to do.

I had to use wubi since my disc drive doesn't work. Though I have a whole internal harddrive I could partition/format.

momo1526 wrote:
I had to use wubi since my disc drive doesn't work. Though I have a whole internal harddrive I could partition/format.

Is it possible to install with a USB connection? I forget.

WUBI didn't work on my computer, so I just burned a disc.

yeah, you can install with a USB. You'd need one that you can format, though, so anything on it would be erased. A wubi install isn't quite the same as a dual-boot install, either, interestingly enough. There's pros and cons to both.

Yeah, now I'm in dual boot, but I also had to burn a disk. The problem is each OS is on a different HDD so each time I have to activate/deactivate the first Hard Disk accordingly.

That must get annoying.

It does...