Goofans Game Discussion

809 replies [Last post]

More like in the game Sorcerer (by Infocom) than Braid.

I'll Flash-prototype the inventory system I had in mind to show you.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

It's still in another game nonetheless. I thought you said something new and original.

Well just because something is new and original doesn't necessarily mean its good.

In fact the only thing that should be original rather than new would be the story, which pretty much defines the game.

Which reminds me,

Puggsoy I wanna hear your story!

Engine Status: I'm using SDL. The planning has been done, for the most part. In terms of object files, I'm going for an event/action system. Certain objects or monsters may hold "events" like "when_attacked" or "when_used". These events can hold action flags like "hp_give(5)" or hp_take(4). I'll create some documentation and list all the flags soon so you guys can start making things.

Sweetness.

ZzZzZZzZZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz

Hey You!
Start the fun and Install the fan made CHAPTER 6: MOON OF GOO

G0o-gle wrote:
ZzZzZZzZZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZz

And the point of this comment was...?

EDIT: I'm creating the Documentation as we spe-...erm, type?

I'd like to work with hard code for parts, it would let me do things like my epic time paradox puzzle. If you'd define some functions like drawImage(x,y,xcale,yscale,depth,filename) and writeText(x,y,font,text) for me, I could write an object file to send to you for linking.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Drawing an image from a filename is a bad idea, unless you use the filename as a lookup into a preloaded image. Using a resource name that defines an already-loaded image (Like 2DBoy did in World of Goo) would be much better, AP. But that's probably too much detail. Tongue

Oops, sorry. See my post under "how does WoG draw images?".

Ah, yep. That's better. Smile

although i am not good at game designing, i am willing to be a tester and play the game, give feed back, etc. keep in mind i am not as good in programming as you other guys, though. i will do what i can.

-_-

Beta Tester List: Added kirdneh

@AP: For complex objects, give me an example of what you mean and I'll let you know if it can be done with events; otherwise, I'll make some functions that integrate with what I have so far. Like MOM said, though, it's probably not a good idea to load an image via filename. Maybe a surface's tag, as defined in resource-listing files.

What kind of image types do you need? PNG's JPEG'S, GIF? Though I am not the expert animator yet, I can get some very simple characters that can run and stuff. Like 'almost' stick figure close.

edit: just for prototype.

It's going to accept PNG images.

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE THEME, PERIOD:

Setting: Underground fantasy world

Characters: A little medieval like, with modern touches

Weaponry: The usual, maybe some other cool stuff

Monsters: Ranging from little cute things than all of a sudden creepy as @#$%

HOPE YOU LIKE WEIRD, CREEPY MONSTERS. Think Deadspace having babies with Silent Hill.

If you say so otherwise, TELL ME.

Complex stuff like, you cast a spell and go back in time. If you do anything your past self didn't see happen, a paradox is created and you die. You need an invisibility cloak for this to really work.

ok so cave...time paradox... where is this going AP? o_O

also, the underground fantasy world I mentioned won't just be dark, rocky caves with magma oozing at the sides. There are caves in real life that are like underground forests, btw.

Yep, we need diversity.

The puzzle involves using a one-time-only spell to go back in time. You have to avoid creating a paradox by, say, locking a door you walked through as your past self before you go through.

EDIT: By the way, could I work on some code for saving or loading the basic geometry of a level? I had an idea for how it could work, including volumetric triggers and other "event-causing" stuff.

"time-travel spell" seems too much like Braid. Anyway, once I finish the engine, you can have the source code so you can add whatever you need for special level-events.

Maybe give me an example of what kind of code you're going for then?

Also, someone talked to me about it. I may switch to XML. It's probably a lot easier to understand than what I was trying to do. Tongue Rather than create new filetypes, let's just use old ones.

Nah, the new type seems good. I was planning to use a variation on it for level design.

Anyway, the idea is to not create a paradox, as I said before. First you go through, everything seems normal and easy, then you get the time travel spell and invisibility cloak and need to go make it easy for your past self without being detected. Time travel puzzles like this have been used in video games since 1984, but my implementation would be hopefully rather original.

Okay then. Go on IRC in a minute, because we are both online. Anyway, I want an example of what kind of level formatting you want to have.

RedTheGreen,

I have to ask...since I have no experience with SDL...

if I am to create something for the engine your creating Red, would it have to be in C++? Would be awesome if I could use javascript.

Albino Pokey,
In photoshop,
Do you know how to find complementary colors on a color pallete? I mean, I know that the complementary color for blue is orange, but what if its like:

R: 150 G:200 B:55, with some random saturation, hue, value? How would I find the complementary color then?

Its really bothering me, because I really need to know how.

@Everyone Else

Anyone got a story for a game yet?

AND ALSO, please, read this:

I really want to know what this game would look like from YOUR perspective. If you could, draw what it would look like on the screen during the game please, doesn't matter how crappy or awesome it is, doesn't matter if its in MSpaint or Adobe Photoshop CS5 extended professional premium gold diamond platinum version firered or leafgreen. Why don't I just come up with my own thing? I am, I just want to know what YOU guys SEE, not think. Please upload something. /cry.

Paint it on the screen, then hit Control-I and use the paint dropper.

Jeez. Yesterday I didn't have a chance to come on, and the day before that the site was down (for me). So I've missed heaps.

Sorry Howitz, I haven't really thought much about the story, what with school, life, etc.
However, I think that starting the game with the main character not knowing where (and maybe who) he is is a good idea. Kind of like Link's Awakening, but not on an island.

I'll try and find the time to come up with and write down a detailed story for the tutorial. By the way, I think we need a map, with towns, forests, and of course a second map for the "underground world". I'd be glad to try and do that too.

@Howitz: Yes, it would have to be in C or C++. But Javascript from what I've seen is fairly similar to C, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

MOM's right in thinking it's similar. Just see what you can learn in the process. Smile

Alternatively, you can give me an idea of what you want to accomplish and I'll maybe work on something.

Javascript is more like C++ than C, because it supports classes and OOP. The main difference is that C/C++ requires that all variables be strongly typed (int i=5) but JavaScript allows you to declare them as just plain "vars". (var i=5; i="banana"; i=[a,b,c] is valid)

I have a prototype level format written up, I'll post it in a bit.