Is it possible to transfer WoG's data from one computer to another?

20 replies [Last post]

Just to clear this up, which I have been feeling bad about for a while now and I actually mentioned it before: I have a pirated WoG. If it makes you feel better, mods, just give me that bad Cheater badge until I get a non-pirated version.

Okay, now that that's out the way, I wanted to know if it is possible to transfer WoG progress (accounts, levels completed, OCDs etc.) from one computer to another. Cause my old one has all OCDs done and I really, REALLY want to move that data from some crappy 250MB RAM computer to my laptop and move the data into a non-pirated version of that game into Steam. Is that possible?

The data should be in pers2.dat - however, it sounds (from other statements you've made) that you've been having other troubles with pers2.dat (You said it had disappeared.)

If you have any profile backups stored to the GooFans server, you can restore one of those backups on any computer that has WoG using GooTool. This is certainly the method that has the minimum manual labor requirement, assuming it works fine.

Since I'm not an expert with this sort of thing, I'll wait to let other users get a chance to provide advice and ask questions to determine the proper procedure.

My Top 5 tower[s]: 51.38m Profile | 51.17m Video - Click on my username to see my addins.

Deku wrote:
The data should be in pers2.dat - however, it sounds (from other statements you've made) that you've been having other troubles with pers2.dat (You said it had disappeared.)

If you have any profile backups stored to the GooFans server, you can restore one of those backups on any computer that has WoG using GooTool. This is certainly the method that has the minimum manual labor requirement, assuming it works fine.

Since I'm not an expert with this sort of thing, I'll wait to let other users get a chance to provide advice and ask questions to determine the proper procedure.

Ehh, I don't have pers2.dat because I got the game WAY long after that Birthday sale or whatever and in one video it is said that people who got the game after the sale was announced would not have a pers2.dat folder at all!

The saved data has to be in that computer somewhere. What did you do when you first installed gootool and it asked you to point out the location of the pers2.dat?

I think (not sure though) transferring of profile should be possible if you copy the pers2.dat from your computer and replace it with the laptop's pers2.dat. But since you don't have the pers2.dat file in your computer it shouldn't be possible.

My Profile

naveed_rizvi wrote:
What did you do when you first installed gootool and it asked you to point out the location of the pers2.dat?

It never did. Did it? I didn't check notice anything, just skim-read stuff.

Have you tried to search in these two locations?

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo
C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo

These two are pretty much the only locations for pers2.dat file to be. Remember, Application Data folder is always hidden, so you may want to un-hide them(maybe that's why search cannot find it Puzzled).

movildima wrote:
Have you tried to search in these two locations?
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo
C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo

These two are pretty much the only locations for pers2.dat file to be. Remember, Application Data folder is always hidden, so you may want to un-hide them(maybe that's why search cannot find it Puzzled).

As I said: I don't have folders called Local Setting nor Application Data anywhere! May be because I have a pirated version of the game (which I'm surprised none of you seem to care too much), which could be the reason for me not being able to locate pers2.dat?

movildima wrote:

Remember, Application Data folder is always hidden, so you may want to un-hide them(maybe that's why search cannot find it Puzzled).

How to show hidden files:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/394-hidden-files-folders-show-hide....

goomatz wrote:
movildima wrote:

Remember, Application Data folder is always hidden, so you may want to un-hide them(maybe that's why search cannot find it Puzzled).

How to show hidden files:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/394-hidden-files-folders-show-hide.html

I looked on my sister's computer and there Gootool said that pers2.dat was located in ProgramData/2DBoy/WorldOfGoo.

That means your sister has an old version of World of Goo. Try to install the 1.3 patch. Check if it's the same on your computer.

goomatz wrote:
That means your sister has an old version of World of Goo. Try to install the 1.3 patch. Check if it's the same on your computer.

If I buy the game on steam now, will it be the new version? Cause as I said, I have a pirated version. May be that's the same case with my computer not opining Gootool at all!

Wikigoo-4evr wrote:
goomatz wrote:

If I buy the game on steam now, will it be the new version? Cause as I said, I have a pirated version. May be that's the same case with my computer not opining Gootool at all!

No. It's still 1.2 on Steam.

wogfan wrote:
No. It's still 1.2 on Steam.

Then where am I supposed to get the 1.3 version?!

I dunno. Maybe from here or something.

MOM4Evr wrote:
I dunno. Maybe from here or something.

Okay, this does not help me at all, except this:
I figured that pers2.dat file thingy, or whatever supposedly stores all the data of my WoG, right? Wrong. It just simply copies the information of my WoG, of which Goo tool gets the data from. It isn't my Goo tool that breaks every time I delete an account: it's pers2.dat file that does.

Every time you do something on WoG, pers2.dat file saves the information, however it does not store it. how do I know that? What I have done on my WoG is different from what Goo tool shows, and the Goo tool gets the data from pers2.dat file. This had happened to all of my computers: Once I delete an account that has been created, the pers2.dat file stops copying the information. All the progress I've done before stays there, even my deleted files, but what I do on WoG in the future, it does NOTHING to store anything anymore.

So my question is:
How do I fix my pers2.dat files to stop this nonsense? It seems to me that pers2.dat files that you guys have have some part of the program that erases data and keeps going, while my pers2.dat file supposedly doesn't have this and aparently "crashes" or rather does not respond to any further WoG levels completed, played or if you have actually opened the game. No wonder why my Acer laptop (Windows 7) crashed because of this and my sister's Toshiba laptop (Windows 7) and my dad's old Dell desktop computer (Windows XP).

Now that I know the problem, is there any way to fix this?!

Your best bet is to restore your profile. I don't see any other solution and restoring it fixed it for me. Is it that hard to get OCD on the levels? Watch the videos on youtube and try and you should be able do it.

You guys have an idea about this?

My Profile

If you play a new level to completion, quit WoG, and reopen it, is the level still marked as complete? If so, your pers2.dat file is saving the information.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Albino Pokey wrote:
If you play a new level to completion, quit WoG, and reopen it, is the level still marked as complete? If so, your pers2.dat file is saving the information.

What? Of course it isn't! That's the whole point! If what you said happened, the whole thing would work!

EDIT: Okay, Gootool and pers2.dat works fine on my Sister's laptop. However, what I did before was replace this computer's WoG pers2.dat file with my dad's old Windows XP computer's WoG pers2.dat (as on that old computer is an account with all my OCDs) the file was replaced and showed on gootool, however the account was not seen on my WoG: it was still this computer's pers2.dat file...

I don't think you get my point guys, do you. So I'll make this simple: On my dad's old Windows XP computer, I have an account with all OCDs done. However, the gootool doesn't show that I have all OCDs done and I can't fix this. Since I put the pers2.dat file and checked it on my sister's computer, the file still showed that I don't have all the OCDs done. Why is it doing this?

EDIT: Okay, I tried to used Restore all profiles button on my dad's old Windows XP computer and I got an error, which said:
Restore failed
Unable to restore backup: IOException on API call

What does this mean?

Wikigoo-4evr wrote:

EDIT: Okay, Gootool and pers2.dat works fine on my Sister's laptop. However, what I did before was replace this computer's WoG pers2.dat file with my dad's old Windows XP computer's WoG pers2.dat (as on that old computer is an account with all my OCDs) the file was replaced and showed on gootool, however the account was not seen on my WoG: it was still this computer's pers2.dat file...

I don't think you get my point guys, do you. So I'll make this simple: On my dad's old Windows XP computer, I have an account with all OCDs done. However, the gootool doesn't show that I have all OCDs done and I can't fix this. Since I put the pers2.dat file and checked it on my sister's computer, the file still showed that I don't have all the OCDs done. Why is it doing this?

1. Where did you find the pers2.dat file on your dads computer?
2. What does gootool (on your dads computer) say where it is looking for the pers2.dat?
3. Where did you put the pers2.dat on your sisters computer?
4. What does gootool (on your sisters computer) say where it is looking for the pers2.dat?
5. On each computer should be two copys of World of Goo, the original installation and the
copy gootool made.
Did you install the 1.3 patch on each copy of World of Goo on every computer?
6. Your dads computer is running win xp, which windows is on your sisters computer again?

goomatz wrote:
Wikigoo-4evr wrote:

1. Where did you find the pers2.dat file on your dads computer?
2. What does gootool (on your dads computer) say where it is looking for the pers2.dat?
3. Where did you put the pers2.dat on your sisters computer?
4. What does gootool (on your sisters computer) say where it is looking for the pers2.dat?
5. On each computer should be two copys of World of Goo, the original installation and the
copy gootool made.
Did you install the 1.3 patch on each copy of World of Goo on every computer?
6. Your dads computer is running win xp, which windows is on your sisters computer again?

7. What does the fox say? (jk)

Answering those questions won't do anything. I think there's some sort of bug with Windows 7. As you know, I'm not the only person with pers2.dat problem. The thing is, mine and my sister's laptops both have multiple accounts for each person. May be that is getting in the way of stuff, but then again, I think this problem started WAY longer than that. All I know is that when I delete an account from WoG, the pers2.dat file is stuck and never removes it, making my gootool display the data just before the account's deletion. I feel that this isn't something we can change, but the creator(Drunk of the gootool and custom WoG need to fix. It's just that there are so many variables of what you could do with the pers2.dat file that it will eventually get stuck. I'm not sure if this is possible to resolve.

Something I found out:

If you have multiple accounts on you WoG, you'll also have multiple pers2.dat files. One for each account and one that is for the whole computer. On my sister's computer Gootool is taking information from the pers2.dat file that is for the whole computer and not the account's one. Here's what it all looks like:

Specific account's pers2.dat file's location:
C:\Users\[User's name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo

Computer's pers2.dat file's location:
C:\ProgramData\2DBoy\WorldOfGoo

You can tell gootool where to find the pers2.dat (in the options tab). Point gootool to the right one and delete the pers2.dat in c:\programdata\2dboy\worldofgoo.