Making a goo ball mod!!

92 replies [Last post]

I want to make a goo ball that I can post on goofans and use on world of goo but I dont know how I tried using GIMP but I dont know how to get it on world of goo... Is there anything else that I can make goo balls for world of goo on or is there any way to use the GIMP??

@Priss123,in mod "Light balls" there was said something like this:"Graphics made by GIMP".The GRAPHICS was made by GIMP!That means the gooball picture was made by GIMP.

Crazeh man!

That is how to make a goomod:
1.Download Samplegoo goomod from here http://goofans.com/download/sample/how-make-goomod-level
2.Extract it.
3.Delete the merge and compile folders.
4.Go to override folder.Create a folder called "res" i override folder.
5.Create folder called "balls" in res folder.
6.Create folder like the name of the gooball you want to change.
7.Put a the image of the gooball you created with GIMP.NOTE:The picture must be in PNG picture format.
8.Return to samplegoo.
9.Rigth click the file called "addin".Then click the "Open with...".Uncheck the box called "Always use this program to open this kind of file".Then select notepad and click "OK".
10.Uhh,make everything look like this:

<addin spec-version=1.0>
  <id>com.goofans.Priss123.goomodname</id>
  <name>write the name of your goomod here</name>
  <type>mod</type>
  <version>1.0</version>
  <description>Enter your description</description>
  <author>Priss123</author>

</addin>

11.zip your goomod.
12.rename it to:com.goofans.Priss123.Your goomod name.goomod
13.Test it.
14.If it works,upload it to goofans.com.
15.Yay,you are done!

Please accept this tutorial and don't delete it please,i worked about an hour to write this comment.

Hope i helped! Wink

Regards.

Joris

Crazeh man!

...or, instead of following points 1 to 6, you could just rename a Goo Ball goomod to zip and extract it.

For more info read Developers>Addin File Format.

| Fly Her to the Moon (with Antigravity Goo) | Infinitive Windows Freezer (unlimited Goo playground) |

Thanks XDboy and Joris! But is making a goo ball easy? And how long does it take? And one more thing I want to make a goo ball with a cap on is that easy?

a mod like the light balls is easy, because you just have to create new images, and goomod them, like Joris and me described above. (but if you're a newbie at graphic programs, or PCs in general, it would be not that easy for you, of course.)

Regarding the Goo Balls with caps:
you can do it the easy way - just paint it on top of the body image for the ball, but it could look a little awkward.

--------------------(advanced line)*

so maybe you want to do it the advanced way - create a new image with just the cap, now you have to change the ball's XML files: put an ID "link" to that image in ball.resrc.xml and add another XML object for the cap in the balls.xml.xml
and it get's more complicated from here...

basically, if you want to change an existing ball type in the game, you have to write XSL files, and put them in merge/res/balls/BallType in your goomod, to append the cap object and image ID in the corresponding XML files.

if you want to make your own Goo Ball type (a new ball type, only for your levels)
you put the editid ball.xml.xml and ball.resrc.xml files in yourGoomod/compile/res/balls/YourBall/.

again, Developer->Addin File Format for a bit more. (in the "merge" directory description is an XSL example.)

*if you didn't understand a word under the line, just make an easy ball mod. Wink

| Fly Her to the Moon (with Antigravity Goo) | Infinitive Windows Freezer (unlimited Goo playground) |

Can you guys help me with this problem?
http://goofans.com/forum/world-of-goo/modding/729

EDIT: I've made the coding on the .xml file look like the coding on Joris's post as much as possible, but it still won't work.

any way how do u use GIMP?

I am Awsome yes i am and if you have a problem Speak to my friends the Devil, Werewolf, Vampire and The Wizard!!!!!

just use paint.net instead!

Crazeh man!

GIMP is much better.
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
some tutorials for GIMP.

Thanx

I am Awsome yes i am and if you have a problem Speak to my friends the Devil, Werewolf, Vampire and The Wizard!!!!!

I dont like gimp

DMAN <(O_O)>

Thanks for the Tutorial Joris. Although I have a question: do you need to put in stand and ball atached pictures in the folder with the ball picture?

P.S. Here comes the learn to play n00b treatment lol

The Sign Painter to Upload picture: A new species of Goo Ball!

thB
thB's picture
ContributorAddin AuthorKleptomaniacToo Much Free TimeSerious OCD

Yes, all ball type related images should be in the same directory.

my gooey profile | my video channel | author of Hazardous Environment

no, you don't have to.
if you want to use some earlier used pictores, for example strands of Ivy or Fuse or other ball, just put it in ball's resources file.

thB
thB's picture

Of course you don't have to copy existing images to your new ball type directory. I was only talking about new images. You can use existing images without copying them.

even if images are in, for example, res/levels directory, you can 'take them' to your ball resources file and use.

thB
thB's picture

That's why I wrote "should". Laughing out loud
You can put your files virtually wherever you want, but in most cases it's, well, dumb.
It's better for everyone to handle when the files that belong together are in the same dir. And ball type images really "belong" together.

Thanks thB and Martin33. I have a second question (that I should of asked earlier sorry) about goo ball changing. You know the mod the Jamerz made (The Color of Goo). How do make a mod like that?

The Sign Painter to Upload picture: A new species of Goo Ball!

thB
thB's picture

The easiest way is to take an existing mod just like that one, decrypt the .bin files with GooTool, study it and then build your own mod on top of it by editing the XML files and adding/exchanging images.
You can find all sorts of useful information for editing here and here
Remember that .goomods are ordinary zip files that can be opened in any program that supports .zip files. If it doesn't work, try adding ".zip" to the file name.

I have made a hands-on step-by-step .zip showing you how to make a GooBall mod. (It wont upload here because it isnt a .goomod.) Get it at http://sites.google.com/site/jmlelevenssite/Home/HowtomakeaGooBallModByj...

OVER 9000

Help GooTool sais no manifest found! HELP ME! Sad

My profile of awesomeness | Me on skype: pokelucas2000 | My drop | Me on...umm....I forgot Tongue Laughing out loud

Jorris, Don't you mean "delete override and compile folders"? because there was already a res folder in override folder Puzzled

My profile of awesomeness | Me on skype: pokelucas2000 | My drop | Me on...umm....I forgot Tongue Laughing out loud

override is important don't delete it.delete merge and compile dir's

Crazeh man!

um.....ok

Back to that manifest thingy...
it turned out I was zipping it wrong..........LOL Shock Laughing out loud

EDIT: now i need it to work so i can upload it....

yes I finished my addin!

But I need to wait for it to be published......

There's alot of words I don't understand up there, can someone explain it very simply please?

WoG2 Shall Prevail!

Ml08180 wrote:
There's alot of words I don't understand up there, can someone explain it very simply please?

Explain what? What don't you understand? I'm not trying to be offensive. I just want to know what you find confusing.

?

Decrypt, encrypt, .xml, can someone create a video? I have everything compiled it tells me it can't do something with the file though. Sad

WoG2 Shall Prevail!

Ml08180 wrote:
Decrypt, encrypt, .xml, can someone create a video? I have everything compiled it tells me it can't do something with the file though. Sad

Here, follow my instructions...

Download my sample goomod here: http://goofans.com/download/sample/wog-corporation-green-balls-coloring

Then, change the file format from ".goomod" to ".zip". Or you can just open it in Winrar.

After that, drag the files to your desktop or some place safe.

Replace and rename the files you need to. Then, change the addin.xml so that it doesn't say my name or description.

Congratz. You're finishedez!

If you received any brain trauma from all of this confusing stuff, then please watch this entertaining Christmas video. It's for good health!