Differences between gooballs of the same kind?

34 replies [Last post]

In the ball addin "goo corp eyeballs" the balls have 3 different eye colors. How is that?

Because writing signatures is too mainstream

its the same trick you use to make this addin, just open the goomod Smile

All my addin | I love you World of Goo!

Short answer: in a <part> you can list multiple, comma-separated images. It picks one at random.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

So it is possible in WOOBLE?

Indeed. Choose multiple, comma-separated images in the body <part> tag. I'd also recommend opening one of the Goo Balls that do this in WooBLE so you can see how it's done.

Oh good. Because every time i mess with .zip and .goomod THE MANIFEST PROBLEM COMES UP!

That would mean that you're not zipping it right. Are you selecting all the files and folders, and zipping those, or are you zipping the folder that contains addin.xml and everything else? You should be doing the former.

Ohhh! i got that! I made a whole forum topic about this, and we could not figure it out, and now on a completely irrelevant forum its solved easily Laughing out loud

Oh! how do you do that for a ball changing addin?

nothinggoo wrote:
Ohhh! i got that! I made a whole forum topic about this, and we could not figure it out, and now on a completely irrelevant forum its solved easily Laughing out loud

Hm, I thought you solved your problem yourself because you weren't anwsering on my post there.
Zipping a goomod is always the same no matter what kind of goomod it is.

nothinggoo wrote:
Oh! how do you do that for a ball changing addin?

XSL-Transforms in the merge directory.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

@goomatz Sorry, i never saw that post, there is a week of tests coming up for me and i was busy studying.
@albino Could you say that more clear? Laughing out loud is the merge directory the compile directory?

The merge directory is the merge directory. There you put .xsls that will change existing .xml.bin files. You can make these either by learning XSL, or by using David's XML Diff Tool (link in my signature).

If you do that latter, put the source file as the original Goo Ball, the target file as your new Goo Ball, and it will give you an .xsl file which you can put in the merge directory (it must be the same name and folder as the file you're merging with). However your images and such should still go in the override directory.

As always, I'd recommend having a look at the insides of a existing ball changing addin to see how it works if you're having trouble understanding (one that changes properties would be better than just a reskin one).

Hmph. GooBLE and XML-Diff are making these mods too easy.

Well, Albino, I would have never made a proper level without GooBLE and WooGLE.

Indeed. That's his point. Go and make a level with wogedit, decrypt the .bin files by hand with GooTool, package the .goomod by hand, create Goo Balls by modifying XML the good old fashioned way, and you'll see just how easy you have it now. Daft basically made it so that anyone could make levels and Goo Balls, not just experts.

Well i see your point.. but is it not good? I mean way more levels and ideas can be pu together now! It did not go worse did it?

Well, it depends. I personally like a few really really cool levels with new gameplay rather than a plethora of lame clones of the original levels. But there have been some really cool levels made by newbies, and it's way easier now for people who know what they're doing to make cool levels, as well as easier for me, so yeah, it's good. Smile

What I will say, though, is this: Knowledge of how goomodding works internally will help a lot when making addins. And you're making an effort to learn, unlike a lot of other people have done, so kudos there. Smile

Yes. I was (partially) joking there - I like Daft's tools, even though I never use GooBLE myself. I especially use WoGFile almost daily. There were very very very few custom levels before Wog-Edit (the original WooGLE) came out, and more and more have been appearing now that WooGLE is here. Among those are some really good ones. And if people want to use cool new features like decay, thruster, or pm_ they can still edit by hand.

Thruster and pm_? What are those?
@MOM i am also making levels, and i cannot see anything similar between most of them and the original levels.

Thruster is a cool effect discovered by Goomatz. It makes Goo rockets. Try the level Keep On Running. EDIT: And pm_ is a way to use movie binltls.

Sucks - gootool cannot complete operation. Bu goo rockets sound interesting. Can you tell me a little more on using it? since the level does not work D:

What, keep on running isn't working?
You can find everything we know about thrust here:
http://goofans.com/developers/game-file-formats/balls-xml#movement
Note: Thrust is only working with two strands and if the ball gets attached by the player.

It's documented now? Awww...

(JK)

Thrust means that, if the ball has two strands when it is attached, it exerts a force along the angle bisector. So if you attach it and make a triangle with a Common strand, with the thruster at the top, it will push either up or down depending on the thrust value.

No, the game does not launch at all. Java lang exception. Possibly the images are too big.

Ha, we posted the comments at the same time albino! And yes i got that. It is a good idea for one of my radioactive goo.... By the way will it ever be published? (the radioactive levels) Oh and - what is the good amount of force for the thrust? i do not want to make the goo fly away like crazy

nothinggoo wrote:
No, the game does not launch at all. Java lang exception. Possibly the images are too big.

But it happend after you installed keep on running?
It's not using very big images.
edit: as the balls.xml page says: A thrust value of 7.5 will (just) make a mass=30 ball "weightless" in a gravity field of 10.
I used -70.

Yes, i happened after i installed keep on running. I have no idea why.

EDIT
WAIT! does this mean that you are able to create helicopter goos? (http://goofans.com/forum/fan-expansion/public-discussion/2170) Ill try that right now!

I can't tell what's wrong either. What system are you on? Can you unzip the goomod and check if any image is too big?

For the Heli Goo as described in the forum topic I would rather use an antigrav value of 0.00001.

goomatz wrote:

For the Heli Goo as described in the forum topic I would rather use an antigrav value of 0.00001.

I believe that would fail, the antigrav would be to weak. However, i got something with the thrust:
the construction floated in the air for 2-3 seconds when suddenly a goo jumped onto it. so it fell down. But it is possible!

EDIT

goomatz wrote:

I thought about it and i think you are right! Well, i tried to use the anchor goo (not the original one but the one from the post) with antigrav about -4.49 And the two balls (balloon and anchor) floated in the air (but were still slowly going down)

If it has a tiny antigrav, it essentially becomes weightless. Positive antigrav means gravity pulls upwards.