General Off-Topic Discussion Thread

63 replies [Last post]

I certainly wouldn't mind if they put in new levels in portal that had time travel, sounds like it would be interesting. Smile

That would be super sweet. Shoot some portals for your future self to go through while your future self is going through them... That'd be pretty epic. And mindblowing. Tongue

kirdneh wrote:
WAIT...
if you go go back in time wouldn't you meet your past self?

In Braid this isn't the case because you're not travelling through time, you're rewinding it.

I like braid. it's fun. I didn't play it for like ages

Portal time travel would be INSANELY difficult if they wanted it to be.
maybe if you do a level, then you play it a second time and your past self copies your previous moves, like that one game (i forgot the name.), the one that in order to complete a level first you press a button and wait then it rewinds and your past self presses the button and you go out the exit as the path is formed by pressing the button?

-_-

Ah, the parallel universe chapter in Braid. Yeah, that was really cool.

no, it was a different game, but now that i think about it it IS like that chapter. Well, it still gets the point across.

-_-

Parallel universe? I thought it was supposed to be your shadow?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Uuh, I dunno. I always thought it was a parallel universe. Tongue

Whatever. The chapter with the purple stuff in it.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I liked that chapter. It made me think.

It is indeed a parallel universe. In the built-in editor, the mechanic is referred to as parallel_universe (technically it's a boolean value you can set to true in each World 5 level), so that's probably what it was designed as.

Personally I also loved that world. There are actually a few games that have similar mechanics, like The Company of Myself and The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom (although in those you can make multiple "shadows").

I just finished Bastion. That is seriously the best story ever ever ever, and I tell you it just wouldn't work in a movie, this was the perfect game for the perfect story.

And wow that credits song.

Yes! I loved that game! And the credits music was awesome. (According to the sheet music, the only thing changed when they combined the two was the tempo. They were in the same key, and weren't transposed or anything. So do you think they wrote the pieces separately and then thought to combine them, or wrote the duet and then split it up?)

And then you get New Game+, although I was a little disappointed it assumed that I had restored. I had chosen to evacuate. Sad

And then you find the little easter eggs in NG+, like the History Books and the Gel Canister. I can't believe it was in the HIBV.

It was the only game I've ever played where they give you a bona fide Choose Your Ending screen and it doesn't seem like a gimmick.

I also chose to evacuate (and I carried Zulf). I haven't started NG+ yet but I'll check it out, it seems real cool. I'll get to level 10, upgrade all my weapons, then try and complete the dreams with all idols invoked (for the Steam achievements).

Oh by the way, just before I went to the Terminals I also completed the Kid's Dream. I got the achievement Mind Voyanger, which is "Complete each trip to Who Knows Where", so I'm curious to find out what the Stranger's Dream is (since that's mentioned in the achievements All in the Mind and About the Author). Don't tell me though!

By the way, do you ever find out what the postbox and outhouse are for? They never seemed to have a function. (If they do don't tell me what.)

EDIT: I think that the credits music was planned to go together, it wouldn't fit so perfectly by chance. Maybe they originally made them separately, but then changed them slightly so that they would go well by simply changing the tempo.

They haven't done anything yet for me. Maybe a planned update? They don't even have pages on the wiki.

Stranger's Dream is another Who Knows Where, but...very different. And not much new information is given to you.

I'm working on a new game where you play as Barney the purple dino and you are rampaging through a top-secret government facility throwing rotten tomatoes at people. It is really, really cooooooooollllllllll.

A mod double-posting? Tch!

Talking about working on games, my "beta" preview of my Flash game is almost complete. I know, most Flash games don't have betas, but this is my first one so I wanna see what people think. The graphics and stuff isn't finished but it's just to demonstrate the mechanics.

MOM4Evr wrote:
I'm working on a new game where you play as Barney the purple dino and you are rampaging through a top-secret government facility throwing rotten tomatoes at people. It is really, really cooooooooollllllllll.

Wait, what? Is it April Fool's Day and I missed it? I totally didn't post that. Definitely not today. Mind = splode. Also, bumping a month-old topic is ok in my book.

EDIT: After intense questioning, it appears my brother is the culprit. Derp.

Ahaha, oh that's a good one. I actually believed it too. Say cheers to your brother for me Wink

By the way I think your brother double-posted but AP edited it, that's probably what he was talking about.

Albino Pokey wrote:
I've got Meat Boy and Commander Video, plus some of the cheat-code ones. It turns out that if you type "Ballgoo" when it lets you select a character, a creepy voice says "Push the Button" and selecting Meat Boy gives you a Goo Ball. It's really weird. Goo Ball can stick to walls and ceilings, so he's really useful in the Hospital.

(Also, "outtatime" gives you the guy from Braid, who can rewind time by pressing shift! Shock I found these on old Google News things, it seems Team Meat releases the codes every once in a while)

There's a tofu boy code, but I forgot
And puggsy, I have no clue, what thread???

I made goomods.

petaphile

Albino Pokey wrote:
I thought I'd start this, just to discuss anything you want.

Starting it off: I got Super Meat Boy in the HIBV, and there's a Goo Ball as a character! Shock It even uses sounds from World of Goo!

Oh yeah, I making a scratch project with a gooball character( nobody really cares.)

I made goomods.

I do. Smile

Because writing signatures is too mainstream

Cool. But I only finished one track. I called it Cucake alley, and it's fun.

I made goomods.

Smile
Now i would like to start a new thread - Lets talk about nyan cat!!!!!!!!

Because writing signatures is too mainstream

seen this before?

-_-

Don't we already have Pictures of your cat kind of topic? By the way...

Joke: Yay talk about anything - lets talk about girls (Not) XD

Something Reeeaaly stupid: Oh, oh I have something better to talk about - spam - I liek spam - I ate it once but... Pleah not tasty - but yummy though

This IS the original off-topic thread.

Oh, and I recently bought this awesome physics-based platformer called Capsized on Steam. It's really cool.