New Records

1835 replies [Last post]

Wait... it's just on trial?
I looked up on the site (camstudio.org) and it says this:
“Nick, here is what I think I'll do; rather than fork out the $300.00 bucks for [CENSORED], I'll just keep using CamStudio."
Where does it say it costs 300 bucks? It's free for me, and I got it a month and a half ago.

-_-

My mistake. I was looking at Camtasia Studio. Carry on then. Smile

@Peter,I know backing up profiles is one of the best ways to learn your mistakes and improve them to build them higher,i just build it and don't exit until it collapses or i'm done with it.

Anyway new OCD Time record Smile http://oi50.tinypic.com/2ptw8zr.jpg

This is not the fastest,I think I lost 1 second for not clicking the continue handle fast enough.

Now I need a max goo record to finish things of.Have you ever tried detaching the line of road blocks or graceful failure with a recthead?I tried,didn't have much luck but might be possible.

My Profile

The line in Road Blocks is not detachable because they are all stuck to the ground which means their relative position to the ground is fixed. I think we can't detach the line before we find another bug.
The line in Graceful Failure is detachable but what could you do after that? If you want the goo ball sucked by the pipe, you must keep the goo ball at the center of the level exit field. But when a goo ball is in the level exit field, nothing except geometries can affect its movement. RectHead can't affect either.

So, I think these ideas won't work.

naveed_rizvi wrote:
i just build it and don't exit until it collapses or i'm done with it.

Well that just shows how disinterested you are in tower building. You're not trying!

Nice record; did you record it? Or are you still trying to get that 1 second you lost.

I agree with Mygod, those cant be done.

I was actually trying to get 47 second on video,it wasn't working so I turned it off,tried again poof I beat pavke by 2 seconds. Tongue

I wasn't talking about that line (wondering would shaking bug work?).I mean the which is at the pipe it can be ripped off just it doesn't want to get ripped when the pipe sucks it.

I sometime use backup for my towers just not frequently.You can say i'm not working hard,I don't work hard in my towers but I just make them tall and somehow its stable.

I'll get water lock video soon.

My Profile

The line in Road Blocks at the pipe can't be detached by using the RectHead. The reason is the same as that in Graceful Failure. @dwerdwer had tried it for a lot of times a long time ago.

naveed_rizvi wrote:
I wasn't talking about that line (wondering would shaking bug work?)

Nah, once a ball is stuck down there's no way to get it off.

I await your lock vid then; I expect a sub 30 one this time Wink

Have you ever had a go at my level Down & Out. You can try and be the first person to complete it.
Also, how do you do at the Whack Pack. Surely you can do level 1.

Wait, nobody has ever beaten Down and Out?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Albino Pokey wrote:
Wait, nobody has ever beaten Down and Out?

Peter B has beaten it. Wink

Getting 45 seconds on video is pretty hard than I expected,I must have gotten it by luck maybe.

I tried Down & out,the best I could do was getting to the forth stage.Though if I put more speed into it i might be able to finish it.

Tried Whack Pack,done level 1,level 2 is a bit hard but can be done in a few tries.Bonus level 2 and 3 are easy,i'm having problems with 1.

I just don't understand your Festive Feast.I tried but I cant complete it.

My Profile

If you cant do water lock again, then just forget about it for now. I'll update wogfan with the pic.

Watch the video if you dont know what to do on feast.

It seems there is one more new record! Congrats to Peter B!

I don't know where Peter is,but he made a new record. Smile

My Profile

Sorry for late replying Naveed ...

By pattern of strand I mean why do all the strand looks same as other strand,for example, compare this with this (except the leaning and height part).You can see both tower are same but my strands are looking random rather your ones are all the same.A more better example would be your 55 meter tower.

I'll give you the OCD answer. Personally I try to keep almost all of my strands at their max extension, that is, to make a triangle I extend until the white lines disappear, then I let it go and the gooball attaches anyway.

That means that for the struts I usually have to lever it down to make the white line show up at all, but I balance the lever, and then the rest of the tower precisely (by sticking temporary gooballs on it ... usually the higher you stick the gooball the more the tilt changes) so that the white line flashes when I lightly kick the area I want to attach with a gooball. If you've balanced it precisely enough you can simply release the gooball onto the structure and re-grab it, and that will have changed the tower's tilt enough to make the white line flash a few times. Of course getting such a balance is very tedious. When you're building the first few levels you don't have a lot of tower to help with this; sometimes I've built a temporary pyramid structure underneath the actual tower to help balance it.

I keep all the loose gooballs except for the one I'm trying to attach in a separate cage so they won't interfere with the balance.

In some situations I need a strut in a critical location at a non-standard length, and in that case, well, I have a millimeter ruler, a 20-inch monitor, and I'm using the standard 800x600 resolution. I can measure from the center of gooball A to the center of gooball B (I use the center because the gooball sizes change every time you re-enter WoG Corporation) and get a pretty precise idea of how long any symmetric strut needs to be. Then I can create more temporary levers or change the tower tilt or whatever I need to do to make the distance correct. Once the tower goes unstable this technique becomes impractical.

If you're having trouble attaching a gooball at the correct length because it keeps trying to attach to something else, sometimes you can pull that "something else" part away with another temporary lever.

That all said, you can still just eyeball it and usually do a good job.

But how do you mange the non-strand moves to in order?

And how long does making 40+ meter tower take? i do it fast so it might be a problem with my structure.

When do you put all the gooballs back to the main structure?After it is ready for the final rush?

I noticed that sometimes that the temporary lever is attached,it makes the structure more unstable,so do i have to use it on both sides to keep it stable,than detach it and put it again on the higher part of the structure?

Cant you add a thin piller in the middle so it can hole the structure straight and remove it when you need more balls or the final rush?

And one last thing,how did you build two towers,attached them both together but it still isn't leaning?

My Profile

But how do you mange the non-strand moves to in order?

Can you rephrase that? I'm having trouble understanding it.

And how long does making 40+ meter tower take?

According to the playtime on my profiles, 8 hours or more. Practically speaking, I do it over several days. You could cut down on this, at the possible expense of precision.

When do you put all the gooballs back to the main structure?After it is ready for the final rush?

Exactly.

I noticed that sometimes that the temporary lever is attached,it makes the structure more unstable,so do i have to use it on both sides to keep it stable,than detach it and put it again on the higher part of the structure?

Yeah, when I get higher up I have to start using counter-balances. For the very top I prefer to do some design that doesn't need much levering.

Cant you add a thin piller in the middle so it can hole the structure straight and remove it when you need more balls or the final rush?

I usually connect the legs together with some temporary gooballs and then split it up when I have a semi-permanent connection. See for example how this becomes this. The only problem with keeping extra support in until the very end is sometimes it can mask the fact that your structure just isn't sturdy enough in some spot and at that point it might be a pain to fix. On the other hand it makes the construction itself easier.

And one last thing,how did you build two towers,attached them both together but it still isn't leaning?

Maybe I already answered your question? It's one tower with two legs that I built at the same time. If the legs are sturdy (usually: thick) enough they won't flex much. Sometimes making the leg spread wider helps, although past a point it doesn't. A good foot design might help too (something that doesn't want to peel up at the base).

Cheers, --buck

I mean the node balls.(sorry I forgot the name there)

I couldn't build a tower,just a starting one which may still need improvements.

I was busy with Whack Pack,and now i have Down And Out to complete also.

I noticed I'm third (or fourth,tumbleweed has also the same amount) with the most gooballs.If I get 18 more,I'll be the second person to reach 1500 gooballs! Big smile

My Profile

If I get 18 more,I'll be the second person to reach 1500 gooballs!

I think you could do it, and then you can aim to beat me Wink

I wont get near beating you. Tongue

Though i'm currently working on infesty 36 balls.

After I get 1500 (if it happens that is) my next target will be finishing the game in 15 minutes.If thats done probably finishing the game in 200 moves.

800th comment!For some reason,this topic is going down.Sad

My Profile

my next target will be finishing the game in 15 minutes.If thats done probably finishing the game in 200 moves

They're both reasonable targets, so you should be able to do them.

For some reason,this topic is going down

No one's setting records, so it'll get locked and die out after 9 weeks of inactivity.
I don't think I'll be doing any more records any time soon, so I'm out. Do you have any in the works? The only thing I'd be willing to do is join forces with buck to try and build a taller tower.

Both of my targets are easy if I put more effort into in,but I was bust with your levels.

No,I dont have but I was thinking of getting more balls in burning man or HTIC.You could try third wheel more faster or beating DaB at any of his 2 time records at blustery day.Or just try and get videos of records with no vids.

I think I'll make my own level soon. Smile

My Profile

If this eventually gets locked due to inactivity I'll unlock it. If there's still no new records though and it gets locked a second time (i.e. no records for 18 months) I'll leave it be, if someone wants to post a new record by that time they can just make a new thread.

You could try third wheel more faster

It could be done faster, but I'm not going to. You can have a go though.

or beating DaB at any of his 2 time records at blustery day

I've never been any good at that level; getting 27 was tough!

I think I'll make my own level soon

I look forward to it. I'll be expecting brilliance. Big smile

I've noticed a small error you keep making in your writing. You dont leave a gap after full stops / commas etc. It's not a big deal, but I thought it's worth mentioning.

My best doing that method is 38 seconds.

Blustery day was tough for me also. Tongue

I don't know,I have to read lots of guides on which thing does what,but I'll make one.

English is my second language.I never knew you had to leave a gap there.

I'll be still doing burning man. I know I can get more. Also,why couldn't you break the structure using the edges of the small hole like in infesty? I think it is possible,just needs more time.

My Profile

why couldn't you break the structure using the edges of the small hole like in infesty?

I've never thought about doing that so I dont know. Those edges are a lot thicker than the platforms in infesty so hooking them on might be impossible. Also, the corners are rounded, which wont help.

Couldn't you make a balloon be up and the other down with very strong speed clicking?
It should break a few strands and if by luck might get inside the edges to rip more of. I'll try it and see if it leads to anything.

A few more time improvement :

Volcanic precolator spa 17 seconds

beauty and the electric tenticle 12 seconds and OCD 18 seconds

Red carpet 10 seconds

Water lock 20 seconds (might be less,you have to use the strat like in 45 seconds and make it reach to the pipe before the hand completes its rotation.)

super fuse challenge time 45 seconds OCD.

Edit: Buck or peter,I made this tower few hours ago. Am I building it properly? I know few of my strands are not same as the others but thats the best I could.

Now the problem is the goo balls. I can't take the out the left side part of the two towers or it will lean to much and may bend a little but I can take out the goo balls on the right part (except the lower part below my first connecter). Other than that I'm not finding any other way to get more goo balls. And I can't build the diamond like structure at the end for my rush properly. Please help. Sad

My Profile

I dont really know what to say about it. You've probably just wasted too many balls on the legs. Even if you freed some up, I dont think it'll get you in the top ten. You can guess what my advice would be, but you dont want to copy anyones designs.

Buck or peter,I made this tower few hours ago. Am I building it properly? I know few of my strands are not same as the others but thats the best I could.

Now the problem is the goo balls.

It always is lol Smile

So, it looks pretty stable. That's good. The symmetry has improved too. So I don't want to criticize or say it's not "proper" 'cause I like it as is. But if you're looking for suggestions how to make that tower go higher ... yeah, like Peter says you're using a lot of goo balls for the legs ... I count 20 per "level" (10 per leg per level) and your legs are about 10 levels high. Most top 10 towers use 8 balls per leg (mine uses 9, to get extra leg width) and/or are shorter. So that's probably costing you somewhere between 20 and 40 gooballs.

The core of your legs (the center part ... like if you stripped off the outer and inner skin you'd have this thin stick-leg that took 6 gooballs per leg per level ... that's what I'm talking about) looks slightly ... squashed? It could be built to be slightly wider horizontally which would help with stability. One day I'll figure out how to do screencast on Linux and post a tower-building video or something Tongue But I think that's insignificant compared to your main problem which is "ran out of gooballs".

With such thick legs I'm a little surprised you need the bottom connector, unless the top bit is unstable and causes the entire tower to warp. You might be able to build the connector higher up, at least, or reduce the split between the legs, and save a couple of gooballs. In my experience, thicker (like the connector on my 46.30 meter tower) and/or shorter (less space between the legs) connectors tend to give more bang for the buck. Your experience might be different.

And that bit where the tower dramatically shrinks in width at the top of the legs ... implies it might either be too robust/wide below (too many gooballs), or not robust/wide enough above (too unstable).

Right at the point where the legs meet, you might be able to pull out and recover some of those gooballs right in the middle w/out compromising your stability too much. Or maybe even some gooballs from the core of the legs.

You'll want to hit around 35-36m before you do your final rush, to get a top-10 tower. Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck!

The first connecter was made at 10 meter height,the second and main was done in 20 meter. Without the first one,the left tower will lean and break the tower. My current best with that tower is 39.5. If I do the flying-triangle trick it should be 40 meters. If I take out anything from the leg it will fall. I attached the second or main connecter when the left and right tower was leaning so it will not be stable after taking out the connector or goo balls in the tower. You cant see in the photo but my right leg is leaning to much in the left,not allowing the right bottom goo ball not to touch the ground by 1 centimeter at least. If you take out the two goo balls which are in both legs at the bottom left and right it saves me 4 goo ball and taking out the goo balls on the right part of the left tower and left part of the right tower,it gives me also 20 goo balls free with no balance lost.

My Profile