Level Creation Contest #1 Results

33 replies [Last post]

The results are in! I loved the levels, guys. They were all awesome, it was hard to do this.

Coming in 4th:
Albino Pokey!
Your entry was unique and inspired! It would most likely have been in the top three if I didn't have this error: (not really an error, but the gravity's wack! http://i56.tinypic.com/zjuqro.png)

Coming in 3rd:
Go0-gle!
That was so different from anything I've played before! Definitely very unique! One of the big issues, though: the fog/effects you had going there made my netbook lag, which doesn't happen in World of Goo for me ever. It was a factor.

Coming in 2nd:
Flaky99!
Abartic was a very nice level! I enjoyed the scenery, the new goo, and of course, the snow. I liked the way you made it so you can save all the frozen ivys if you are extremely careful.

And the winner is:
puggsoy!
It was tough to decide, but I've decided your level best fits the criteria. It was also very fun. (the shortness made it nice and quaint) The way you made it so the bomb blew up the snowball was pretty amazing! The only flaws I could find were the snowball graphic being a little uninspired as well as the OCD being extremely easy to achieve. (Try a "moves" OCD instead! The snow-goos all just go into the pipe automatically! You get 16 by default!)

Well, there you go. Puggsoy wins. (contact me via steam for your prize) Thanks to all who participated! My decision is semi-final. (basically I'm just fair enough so if someone wants to say something about AP's entry or anything else like that, I'll boost his place a little, but ultiimately, puggsoy gets first)

Thanks man, this is awesome! To be honest I wasn't really expecting to win, I didn't play the others' levels yet (didn't want to steal ideas or whatever) but from their screenshots they looked much more interesting.

I admit the snowball graphic was pretty boring, that was actually one of my main concerns since I'm generally not that good with graphics. And I also see that the OCD wasn't adventurous, though I wasn't sure if it mattered. Most of the time I make easy OCDs anyway Tongue

Once again thanks, and thanks to the other contestants too! Without your submissions there wouldn't have any competition Wink

(BTW Red, since I haven't bought any games on Steam yet I can't PM or such. However we can talk on the Goofans group.)

Oh yea! (so garry's mod, right? I can add you right after I gift it, I think) Meet me in the Goofans group chat sometime today. (just keep the chatroom minimized)

Well actually what I meant was that I can't chat either, due to not owning a game. Basically the only communication I'm capable of is commenting on groups and my own profile page.

Good job Puggsoy!

Does anyone know what caused that glitch in my level? I've never seen it before, even with other lightweight Goo Balls.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

@puggsoy: Yea, forgot. Tongue I saw your comment on the Goofans Group Page, I'll gift it to you later today. Smile

@AP: I'm as confused as you are.

@AP: Thanks Smile

@Red: Thanks Smile

@AP: I saw the glitch too, but I just took it that I did something horribly wrong, so I restarted the level.
To be honest, I'm not certain that the negative friction works for me. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Was it a subtle effect?

And anyway, I think the floating ball thingy is just caused by a linearforcefield. At least that was my first impression. Did you not put one there?

What do you mean?

The negative friction is very subtle, yes. But using "machine" material makes it much harder for the launch goo to slide on the ground.

When the square is bouncing on the cloud of smoke, that's a linear force field. There's also one underneath to push to the left, but none at the pipe other than the standard gravity one.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Oh, ok. Nevermind then.

@ AP
The glitch in your level is caused by mass=1.
I've tested it, everthing below mass=2 causing that glitch. Balls with mass=2 get sucked in, but still a bit glitchy. I observed that the higher the mass of a ball is the faster they get sucked (Try mass=3 and then mass=30).
My guess is an open pipe is like a radialforcefield(type=force) and mass=1 isn't enough to collect the balls.
One question, why is the mass 1? I think for the level only towermass=1 would be ok and wouldn't change the gameplay.

With mass 1, a tester tried the same solution you did, Goomatz, and then used the Goo Product bouncing off the ceiling to shove the structure down.

But thanks for finding the solution! I'll reupload with the fix.

Yay! I`m in second place! And i`m happy for you puggsoy! Good job. Tongue
P.S RedTheGreen, can you make more contests? They`re really fun!

Congratz Puggsoy, Albino, Goo-gle and Flaky

get my first theme here:
http://goofans.com/download/theme/ivygreen
it is called ivygreen
"SAVE THE WHALES
COLLECT THE WHOLE SET!"

Thanks BF, and nice to see you around, it's been a while.

@Flaky: I agree, the contests are fun. I think one per season, as discussed earlier on, is good.

puggsoy wrote:
I think one per season, as discussed earlier on, is good.

I'll wait until late September-ish. (as that's the beginning of Autumn in the northern hemisphere)

After that next contest has a winner I finally gift you your prize as well as whatever I decide to give the winner of this one.

I'm planning a similar contest, but it won't involve Goo levels. I'll open it next weekend and give the details then.

HMM? WHAT KIND OF CONTEST WOULD THAT BE? (I'm really curious now. Email?)

RedTheGreen wrote:
puggsoy wrote:
I think one per season, as discussed earlier on, is good.

I'll wait until late September-ISH. (as that's the beginning of Autumn in the northern hemisphere)

After that next contest has a winner I finally gift you your prize as well as whatever I decide to give the winner of this one.

So, you`re saying that in late september there will be an ISH contest? YAY!!!

Flaky99 wrote:
So, you`re saying that in late september there will be an ISH contest? YAY!!!

It's hard to know if that's sarcasm or not.

@AP: I'm curious too.

My last post was sort of incorrect:

You will need to use WooGLE, but you will not be making a level in the traditional sense. As soon as I finish the preparation, I'll post the contest here. Probably on Tuesday or Wednesday. This contest is meant to be sort of an experiment, I'm not sure whether people will enjoy it or not.

@AP Alrightey then.

@Flaky Wait, what? I have no idea whatsoever what kind of theme this next one's gonna have. Any ideas, email me.

RedTheGreen wrote:
@AP Alrightey then.

@Flaky Wait, what? I have no idea whatsoever what kind of theme this next one's gonna have. Any ideas, email me.

Ok, but how can I know your e-mail?

Darn. I suggested an official contest way back. Davidc said something, but, no info.

Yeah, I remember that discussion, Howitz. Luckily I came back just in time for this one.

I know it`s a dumb idea and no one will approve it but I`ll say it.
Can we make a night contest? I made an awesome level, and i want to publish it for a night contest. I don`t wanna be the judge... Maybe RedTheGreen will be the judge again.

Yaix, AP
this sounds very interesting, can't wait to hear more about it.

You mean night-based? That's interesting. It could be the theme for the next contest, however I don't think levels made before the contest would count.

but I am modifying it. It`s not done. And it`s not published!

That might count then. Depends how much you've already done, I'd say.

puggsoy wrote:
That might count then. Depends how much you've already done, I'd say.

It is almost done, because I`m adding custom sleeping goos. They will be pretty much everywhere and will be very sticky so it will be harder to find them. And they will be static sleepers with no Zzzz particles. I need to modify the moon, the sign and the image positions. And the last thing is I need to know how to put my level in the Information Super Highway because in my level there`s a highway...