Language-specific sound files

14 replies [Last post]

OK, so, on this topic we discovered that World Of Goo tries to open .en.ogg files whenever it loads. These don't exist, so it comes up in the debug output, but the names of these files are identical to names of the .ogg files it does load (such as "temp_main"), and which do exist.
This wasn't related to the problem in the thread, but I decided to see what would happen if I gave WoG one of these files.

I tried it out with an .ogg file that I renamed as temp_main.en.ogg, and put it in the same folder as temp_main.ogg. Lo and behold, next time I loaded WoG I heard that track on the main menu! What's more, when I changed the language in config.txt, the original .ogg file played again!

This is my theory: whenever WoG loads an .ogg file, it attempts to load its .en.ogg alternative. (For Dutch it will try to load its .nl.ogg alternative, and so on for every compatible language.) If it finds it, it will use that instead. Therefore, if you make a temp_main.nl.ogg file and load WoG in Dutch, it will play that instead of temp_main.ogg. That means that you can make language-specific sound files!
As far as I know, the language-specific sound file must be an .ogg file, only with the modified extension. And obviously, it must be in the same directory as the file you want to replace.

I think this will work with all sound files, even custom ones. This is because, as I said above, it attempts to load the language-specific alternative for every .ogg file it loads. The reason we only saw some of those files trying to be loaded in the debug logs is because when WoG starts it loads the resources.xml.bin file in the properties folder, and then temp_main.ogg for the title screen. However, when you open a level, it will load all files in that level's resources.xml.bin file, and therefore it will look for the language-specific file of every .ogg file it attempts to load, for example the level's music, or a custom Goo Ball's sound effects.

I hope that was followable. The last paragraph was mostly for an explanation for those interested, but the paragraphs before that should be enough to know how to use this awesome, unused feature.

By the way, I haven't actually tested all of this, as I said in the second paragraph all that I did was make a temp_main.en.ogg file. However I think my reasoning is fairly sound, so I have little doubt that this works for any .ogg file. If anyone feels like it they can check.

Awesome Puggsoy
I tested it with a custom utility ball and it's working very well.
I definetly got to use this feature someday.

Sweet find. Not sure what the use for this would be, but it definitely is awesome. Smile

Yeah, it's not really useful. But I got a cool idea of an addin that makes Goo Balls say actual words, other than just "Yamako!" and whatnot. In that case, this trick would allow translation. Also, some people might want to make total conversions with narration, in which translation might also be desirable.

Talking about Goo Ball sounds, I recently noticed that one of the sounds they make when they get closer to a pipe sounds a bit like "beat the mother!" Do you think that's some kind of reference to MOM?

Dunno. I think they may be saying actual stuff if you slow the sounds down, but I've never tried.

I think that was only in jingle balls, but daaaamn, that was aaaages ago so I don't remember...
So yes, could this work with other file extensions? I'll test it out as soon as possible!

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

I don't think so, but no harm in trying.

Nice find! Should we put it into the Books?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Dunno. I guess it would be nice to have. Although if you don't mind I'd like to do it, I haven't had a go at making a Book page yet Wink

Sure, go ahead.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Hm, I've been wondering if I should put it in the Addin File Format section or Game File Formats section. I'm thinking that I could put it in the former, since .en.ogg isn't used by the game.

But then again I've also noticed that there is no page for .ogg files in the Game File Formats section. Maybe I should make that, and then include information about .en.ogg files? What do you guys think?

Sorry if I'm being a bit picky or whatever Tongue

OGG is just a common file format. There isn't a page about generic XML files, after all. I'd say Game File Format.

before it came out (WOG) the words that the said were cuss words, like son of a you-know-what and the F word and others. they changed it for the released version (more kid friendly).

-_-

Game File Format, it's something the traditional engine does, not what GooTool does.

Albino Pokey wrote:
OGG is just a common file format. There isn't a page about generic XML files, after all. I'd say Game File Format.

Good point, maybe I should just make a page about .en.ogg files.

Tell you what. I'll make an .ogg file page, and if it looks like it's unnecessary I'll change it to only mention .en.ogg files.