Political/Religious Debate

469 replies [Last post]

Yes. What do you mean by "void": space without anything in it? If so, then it's still technically part of the universe, since stuff can go into it. If a spacecraft that is "mechanically immortal" would keep travelling in a straight line through the void, would it hit a boundary? If yes, then what's beyond that? If no, then the universe is infinite. And an infinite universe is difficult to imagine.
If your definition of "void" isn't "space without anything in it" then please explain. However, I'm afraid that any definition of it would result in it being infinite, which is difficult to imagine no matter what.

MOM4Evr wrote:
Which raises the question of when life started. I'm just curious here; haven't heard much about the evolutionary theories behind that.

Well, I'm no professional, and haven't learned much about it. Basically, I think that atoms and molecules just came into contact with each other, forming stuff that is defined as life. Carl Sagan explainssuch things rather well:

I highly recommend the series this is from, Carl Sagan's "Cosmos: A Personal Voyage". You can find all of the episodes on YouTube, and they're extremely interesting. He talks about evolution, cosmology, life on other planets, dimensions (like the Flatland video Red linked to before) and lots of other things.

Anyway, even his description doesn't exactly explain how souls (or whatever you prefer to call them) are attached to life. But that's a different matter.

My take on debating religion or politics:

Its like playing chess with a pigeon: it will only knock down the pieces, crap on the board, then strut around like its victorious.

At least it looks like it's winning in some view, especially to people who don't know how to play.

But those who do know how to play will be like "Ha! You kinged yourself! I win!" Then they'd kick away the pigeon and take the board home to be washed.

So that they could reuse it to feel like they won against the pidgeon (if its still alive after being re-punted across the room) over and over again? Still a questionable game, as no one is the real winner. You still have the task of washing the board afterwards though.

2d universe: take a big knife a chop off a slice of it and you get a 1d universe.
3d universe: take a slice of this and you get a 2d universe.
4d: take a hyper-slice out of this BGSOMM and you get a 3-d universe.
parallel universes aren't really parallel, therefore.

-_-

My theory about the edge of the universe is that it's curved in a fourth spatial dimension, so if you traveled forever in a straight line you would hit the earth again. Sort of like if "Flatland" were actually a big sphere: if a square walked for long enough, he'd be back where he started from, because he walked all the way around. This theory was originally created by Albert Einstein in a thought experiment about beetles on a globe.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Life in itself is simply extremely complex chemical reactions, but on a much much larger scale. It took nature billions of years to come up with the combinations of reactions that happen every second inside our bodies. A single cell can have more than a million reactions happening at once!

As for consciousness, that was a side effect. Actions and reactions quite amazingly pushed in the direction of which we would be able to become self-aware. In Northern Lights by Philip Pullman, it is said that dark energy is an angelic substance that intertwines itself with life that is capable of consciousness and allows it to gain knowledge. What's interesting is in that book, the truth of life was that dark energy condensed to form "angels", but the very first one, the strongest, devised a plan, and when more formed, he told them he created them, and THAT is how the theory of God came to be. (according to the book)

That's the book that's called The Golden Compass in America, right? The publisher misinterpreted the Paradise Lost quote as referring to the alethiomenter, and independently decided to change the name.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Very good video, puggsoy, thanks. I watched most of it (It eventually got to the point of stuff I'd heard before). So then the question would be why these "extremely simple" lifeforms no longer exist. I mean, even though natural selection has eliminated potentially billions of lifeforms, we still have creatures far far below the evolutionary ladder than ourselves (Indeed, single-celled diatoms produce the vast majority of oxygen on this planet). So what happened to the organisms below current single-celled organisms' complexity?

I think they disappeared simply from disease or a bad living environment. The only reason we're still here is we've become immune to a lot of these.

Yah, it's probably something like what Red said. These lifeforms were also practically defenceless, so when single-celled organisms formed they could have been consumed rather quickly.

Or maybe it's was just evolution: a better version is discovered and the species (or whatever this would be called) just went along, leaving the old molecular life forms as history. I mean, some of our ancestors still exist, but others don't. The "extremely simple" life forms may have been some of those ancestors that did exist, but once they evolved they were left behind.

Am I making sense?

what a second...
do you know how if you travel at light speed to a far away planet and come back again, you are younger than everyone else? what if the xyz cordinate of your place in the universe didn't change? it would look like you are moving far away from the earth but in fact the earth would be moving away from you at about 2000 mph. at 2000 mph, time moves at a pace of 1 sec/sec, or 1 hour per hour. at 0 mph in the universe, time moves at 0 sec/sec, or 0 hrs/hr, i.e. time stays still. to move at a negetive speed of time (ex: -5sec/sec) you would go back in time, and faster than 2000 mph you would go faster in time than the norm. it is actualy safe to go forward in time as you can't create any paradox,and it is safe you can't go back in time. maybe the universe's way of protecting us from space-time continuum?

-_-

As long as we can't go back in time, I'm glad no matter what all that meant. However I would like to go back in time Pensieve-style, or into a parallel dimension.

They all died out? Well, that sucks. Scientists could probably learn a lot if they were still around. Not even any fossils or anything?

Dunno. Although I wouldn't expect it, as Sagan said they were much smaller than cells. Fossils either don't exist, or are too small to find (or see with the naked eye, anyway).

Actually there has been new proof to suggest that the universe is also contracting as it is expanding! How can we wrap our minds around that?!? Puzzled

If the universe has void beyond it, what's the point of exploring it? Eventually we'd find the limits and be bored of it. But if it's infinite, then we've got our work cut out for us in awesomeness! Wink

http://thequestfortruth.hubpages.com/hub/Contracting-and-Expanding-Unive...

Okay as far as evolution and the organisims coming out of the "primoridal soup" here's some REALLY BAD PROBLEMS THAT EVOLUTIONISTS IGNORE!!

1. Say the big bang did happen. If that was the case when the earth formed, it would have LOTS of extra debris and contaminations in the atmosphere. Scientists say that the chemicals in this condition randomly fit together in this soup to create living organisms, but if that's the case, wouldn't the soup contain the contaminations from the atmosphere cause the chemicals to be contaminated, therefore, messing up the reactions to create life!?!?

2. It takes certain amino acids to form basic protiens to form life. If random chemicals were in existence in a soup, and the amino acids in that soup came together to try to create protiens for life, they would come into contact with opposite amino acids that they don't need for it and not be able to reject those extra acids! Not only that, but when certain (let's say certain amino acids and left handed and certain are right handed) left handed amino acids come into contact with opposite right handed amino acids, they conteract each other and are destroyed! So basically, the evolutionists are saying that after a random explosion of matter, the earth was randomly formed, with random mixtures of cehmicals to create random amino acids that try to form life but end up DESTRYOING THEMSELVES!! YET THEY BELIEVE THE ENVIRONMENT OF AN EARTH THAT HAS RANDOM CHEMICALS TO BE FREE OF CONTAMINATIONS AND ESSENTIALLY PERFECT, TO CREATE PERFECT LIFE!!?!?

Does that make any sense at all? Not only that, but they say the soup's main ingredient is water. BUT WATER IS POLAR AND DISSOLVES AND MIXES EVERYTHING POLAR IN IT UP! That would cause more amino acids to destroy themselves furthere still!

Ok... I'm done rambling! Tongue

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube @ScarletFury!

There's no point in exploring it, except if you want to check if it really was empty. And if we did find limits, we wouldn't be bored of it - it'd be a major discovery.

Okay. So what happened to a lot of the other half-creatures on the Evolutionary ladder? Like why don't we have a lot of half-fish, half-lizard creatures left over from when fish turned into lizards, even though we still have lizards and fish?

EDIT: I just thought of a perfect analogy for Evolution! You start with a small, stable working program, right? (I hope I won't confuse non-programmers with this analogy) You keep adding random lines of code. What happens at first? NOTHING! You keep adding more, and eventually you reach a point where instructions you add start doing stuff. Some randomly crash the program, as would be expected, but you keep adding more nonetheless, and after millions of instructions, what do you get?

MICROSOFT WINDOWS! BAHAHAHA!

Yeah, sorry. Tongue

@Gooballs: I do wonder if you've studied chemistry.

1: The contaminations in the atmosphere were made up chemicals, which are made up of atoms, just like everything else. These chemicals would then dissolve in the soup, forming ions. I have no doubt that a lot of mixtures of atoms were bad and made no life. But by chance, some certain mixtures of certain atoms and such did make life.
Anyway, what do you mean by "contaminations"? What I understand by the word is basically "stuff that you can't breath". But life at that time was, as Sagan stated, at a molecular level, and therefore the only effects other molecules would have on these life forms would be chemical reactions, which wouldn't happen very regularly.

2: Proteins weren't created for ages, and thus amino acids didn't happen for ages. As I said, life at that time was at a molecular level, made by a lucky arrangement of atoms. Cells came very long after that. And when proteins did come along, they were made by the organisms themselves. So I honestly don't know where you got your theory of amino acids blowing each up from.

Oh, and the water did dissolve everything, aiding the formation of molecules. Without the water it would have been much harder for all the different chemicals to have formed.

@MOM: What do you mean no fish-lizards? We got crocodiles and frogs, and their countless variations.

But I get what you mean, a lot of half-evolved animals are missing. As I said earlier, it's most likely the their evolutions kind of took over and they died out.
But you might say "but fish still exist, despite other animals having evolved from them!" Well, the way I see it, it's like how people branched off from chimps. Chimps still exist, but neanderthals don't. There are certain nodes of evolution that still exist, but others, which are stuck between the nodes, don't. So fish are a node, reptiles are a node, but most of the stuff in between didn't get to be a node and disappeared.

Is that understandable?

Also, with the contaminations: those are what make it work, really. Without all those different chemicals, life as we know it wouldn't work. As an analogy, think of a computer chip: silicon by itself does nothing interesting, but add a few impurities, and you can make microchips.

that stuff in back to the future, where they time-jump? it wouldn't happen. as soon as marty decides to go to the future, the car would go fast and time would accelerate very fast, and they'd slow down. some one viewing him would see him go fast then rrrreeeaalllyyy slow. and if he time jumped, he'd appear in space as the earth rotates around the sun, the sun rotates around the galaxy, and who knows what that revolves around. the suction would break the windows and kill him. the movie would end in 10 minutes.

-_-

puggsoy wrote:
@Gooballs: I do wonder if you've studied chemistry.

1: The contaminations in the atmosphere were made up chemicals, which are made up of atoms, just like everything else. These chemicals would then dissolve in the soup, forming ions. I have no doubt that a lot of mixtures of atoms were bad and made no life. But by chance, some certain mixtures of certain atoms and such did make life.
Anyway, what do you mean by "contaminations"? What I understand by the word is basically "stuff that you can't breath". But life at that time was, as Sagan stated, at a molecular level, and therefore the only effects other molecules would have on these life forms would be chemical reactions, which wouldn't happen very regularly.

2: Proteins weren't created for ages, and thus amino acids didn't happen for ages. As I said, life at that time was at a molecular level, made by a lucky arrangement of atoms. Cells came very long after that. And when proteins did come along, they were made by the organisms themselves. So I honestly don't know where you got your theory of amino acids blowing each up from.

Oh, and the water did dissolve everything, aiding the formation of molecules. Without the water it would have been much harder for all the different chemicals to have formed.

I currently am studying chemistry, but my point is, that when you have a bunch of random other chemicals mixed with other random chemicals, some of the chemicals would cause reactions that are COMPLETELY dangerous in which they would destroy any chance of any amino acids forming and when the amino acids did form they'd destroy themselves by linking with the wrong types until there are NONE left! Not to mention that back in that time no PURE chemicals could've existed to create those reactions to bring amino acids into exsistence!

Example:

Let's say you started with some silver ore. Will it become a silver dollar just by letting it sit there for millions of years? There has to be INTERVENTION of someone or something to get it proccessed, melted, molded and shaped into a silver dollar. This is known as the Polanyi Impossibility. Link below:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Michael_Polanyi

Actually just read this entire article. It about sums up what I'm trying to portray here! Tongue

http://creation.com/lifes-irreducible-structure-part-1-autopoiesis

For those wondering, Earth of Goo is still being worked on, but not as often. It will be finished! Check out my website/YouTube @ScarletFury!

puggsoy wrote:
So fish are a node, reptiles are a node, but most of the stuff in between didn't get to be a node and disappeared.

Is that understandable?

Yah. Don't it seem kinda convenient, tho? So how many of these in-between creatures were there?

I just had an interesting thought. Since it is theoretically possible to travel backwards in time via your placement in the universe (like puggsoy said) we should eventually (when we have the resources) block off a section of the universe (like a 1000th or so) for our futurekind, if by the end of everything, they can travel back. This will avoid both paradoxes and extinction!

puggsoy wrote:
As long as we can't go back in time, I'm glad no matter what all that meant. However I would like to go back in time Pensieve-style, or into a parallel dimension.

Their is no "parellel reality" as per say.
remember? in the BGSO4DMM (Big General Sort of 4th-Dimensional Mish Mash) any where you slice you get a 3d universe, like any where you slice a 3d universe you get a 2d universe or like any where you slice a 2d universe you get a 1d universe or like anywhere you slice a 1d universe you get a tiny point of nothingness. If their is no intervention of distorting time and/or other universes (not dimensions as like what the Laymen TV shows want you to believe) all 3d slices should be alike, untill one stupid Earthling and/or other complex organism (thats another entirely diferent debate) moves to another, upseting a few atoms, which may or may not destroy the perfect balance and syncrony of the universes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If their were Time Police, i would have them pick me up right now (i'd write a message on my tombstone) and give me a badge certify that i can travel to key points in time and un-tangle the knots in time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
how to explain how in a 3d universe if you travel one way you end up in the same spot by traveling to the edge: say you have a sheet of paper and you fold in in a ball, having all 4 points touching behind. It would be 2dimensional but if you move forward you end up at the same spot. now imagine that with a 3d infinite universe. you get the same result. or possiby end up in a very expensive resturant (HHG2G readers, you know which one it is).

took me about a half-hour to write this Tongue

-_-

The way I think of it is that time travel leads to a sort of predestination. If I go back in time, I couldn't destroy the time machine, because that's not what happened. Everything I would do would already have become the past, and I would presumably remember or know about it. Sort of like if we knew the future, we couldn't avoid it, because we will know that that is what will have happened. (By the way, there's a subtle grammar pun there. The last verb is future-perfect. Tongue)

@MOM One word: PLATYPUS!!!

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

MOM4Evr wrote:
Yah. Don't it seem kinda convenient, tho? So how many of these in-between creatures were there?

Of course it's convenient, that's natural selection. The reproductively fit types die, the others live on. Sometimes, there are two types that both have different traits that aid them. One becomes a node (e.g. chimps) and another branches off into a string of evolution (e.g. neanderthals and such).
And I dunno about the in-between stuff. I'm no pro at this, but I'd say anything that's extinct was either an in-betweener (e.g. neanderthals or lizard-fish), or the end of a branch that was killed one way or another (e.g. dinosaurs or moas).

By the way, I've been studying at home for a while now, and decided to watch some videos on evolution today, not only because we've been talking about it but also because I haven't studied it much. I found this video that might make some of my points clearer:

Gooballs Of Fire wrote:
I currently am studying chemistry, but my point is, that when you have a bunch of random other chemicals mixed with other random chemicals, some of the chemicals would cause reactions that are COMPLETELY dangerous in which they would destroy any chance of any amino acids forming and when the amino acids did form they'd destroy themselves by linking with the wrong types until there are NONE left! Not to mention that back in that time no PURE chemicals could've existed to create those reactions to bring amino acids into exsistence!

Example:

Let's say you started with some silver ore. Will it become a silver dollar just by letting it sit there for millions of years? There has to be INTERVENTION of someone or something to get it proccessed, melted, molded and shaped into a silver dollar. This is known as the Polanyi Impossibility. Link below:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Michael_Polanyi

Actually just read this entire article. It about sums up what I'm trying to portray here! Tongue

http://creation.com/lifes-irreducible-structure-part-1-autopoiesis

You're right, some chemical reactions would be completely dangerous. But others would support life. By chance, the ones that supported life survived.

And did you even read the second half of my post? As I said before, amino acids didn't exist then. Life wasn't made out of proteins, it was at the molecular level, smaller than proteins. In the video I posted, Sagan says that DNA was invented after years of random chemical reactions. Cells began to form after that, and only then were proteins being made, but even then only for organelles and enzymes and such.
I said before, amino acids were made by life, not the other way round.

(Note: I'm not completely sure about the last sentence, but it seems to make sense to me.)

As far as I know, amino acids are required to make life, not the other way around. I could be wrong on this, though. I did find a really good article about abiogenesis that's more factual than biased, and even quoted Carl Sagan: http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/tj/v18/n2/abiogenesis

momo: Platypuses are interesting, to be sure. They're also quite unique from anything they may look like a cross between. Not many mammals, birds, or reptiles have a poison-filled spur like they do.

I've been digging around a bit too; I even found a really cool website ( http://vuletic.com/hume/cefec/ ) that's got me excited. So far it looks like easy reading, not inflammatory, and well-thought-out and well-written. Stuff like that's kinda hard to find on the Internet.