Unused features

21 replies [Last post]

By the way, Ron, I have a couple questions about the unused features in the game.

1) Did you have any levels planned with the Decay (example) or Thruster (example) balls? We found them in the code and have used them in custom levels.

2) Is the "rigid" strand finished? We haven't been able to get it to work yet, even with a mass set. There's some other "spring-constant" type parameter missing that's always set to 0.

3) Do you plan to release a DLC or a sequel to the game? There are so many possibilities for Goo Balls and levels that the original game didn't cover! For example, using an additive shadow to light up a dark area (like this. Using balloons in antigrav enabled water as anchors (you can do this in Regurgitation Pumping Station with the Evil Eyes). Using Pokeys to stabilize an enormous tower as you build. Combining "fling" with normal strands and detachable (like this). Autoattaching balls building against you. Magnetic Goo (using antigrav) and Goo Balls that are "enabled" to build on once you use a special Goo Product on them (coming in Another Planet Chapter 4). The Sticky Bomb Glitch. Goo Balls that explode when they hit spikes using the Fire Death Glitch. And tons more!

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

ron
2D BoyAddin Author

1. at some point, as you may know, we were considering making a 6th chapter. the thruster balls were supposed to be for that. but we never made it. maybe some day!
2. rigid strands were never implemented. it was too big a technical challenge to make them work given how we structured our code.
3. we'd like to one day make a sequel, but it depends on a lot of things, so who knows? but i have a question for you guys... if we were to make another game together, would you want it to be a sequel or completely different game?

Personally, I think a lot of people would be stoked about a sequel. Obviously, people would expect more than just something like one of our total conversions, stuff that isn't even possible in the current WoG.

But I don't really care too much. Either way I'm sure you guys would make an awesome game that I'd be sure to play Wink

By the way, since I can, I'll ask something that's been nagging me for ages: why did you name the save file called pers2.dat? Why not pers.dat? Or something else altogether?

I am really not sure about that, Ron. On one hand, sequels to games can turn out much better in the original, as displayed with Half-Life 2. On the other hand, not every sequel is great, like how Project Sora ruined the gameplay from Melee by making Brawl. On another hand entirely, making another game that's separate from the original franchise can also turn out to make you famous; this was the case for Valve, as well. (Counter Strike, TF2, etc.) So it really depends on how you look at it.

I think a sequel would be better as well. World of Goo was one of the greatest games I ever played, and the sheer number of mods on this site shows just how much is possible with the current engine. With new features added, such as a "gooballcollisions" on geometry or the "rigid" strand (could work if you duplicated "spring" and fixed the Shaking Bug, then used a springconst of 50), I'm sure the sequel would be even better than the original. To use the example that Red used, people made huge numbers of creative Half Life mods, then Half Life 2 came out and there was no comparison at all. In the original engine, like I said before, there are so many unused possibilities. What would happen if you combined a two-strand, Decaying Pilot ball with Thruster, and had to fly it through a maze? As each one died, you would need to attach another. Or, what about a Goo Product that can be dragged around, but is attracted to magnetic rocks and can pull structures towards them? "The gameplay possibilities would certainly be endless!"

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

There is another unused feature somebody mentioned in the forum, the break=? tag. Was it implemented? If yes, how does it work?
I would love to see a DLC Moon Chapter as a sequel and a new game as well.

Talking about the Moon, am I supposed to have done something on that, AP? I haven't really done much, since we have a lot of other stuff going on (Goofans game, LCC2, etc).

i'd like a sequel. world of goo was not only one of the best games i ever played, bu going to this site introduced me to maple story and Minecraft.

-_-

Oh, very off-topic, but Ron, have you ever played Minecraft? Tongue

The break=? tag was Dab's way of putting it, but I call it break=x. break=1 and break=2 and special versions of this. X is the force required to break it. break=500 means that it needs 500 force at the center to break.

God yes. Btw this is the wrong thread.

He might be spam.

-_-

His sig link IS spam. DIE SPAM.

Wait, let's ask him.
Are you spam? If not, sorry for the inconvenience. We get a lot of spam.

-_-

MOM
MOM's picture
Addin Author

Personally, I think a sequel would be the way to go if you're making a decision like that. However, I am awed, pleased, and thrilled with all the work you've done with the game so far, and could ask nothing more. It's a real honor that you visit goofans.com. As enticing as a sequel sounds...
If you were to make a different game,
What did you have in mind?
-MOM

If a house that weighs 100 pounds (it's a small house) has five birds inside it and the birds start hovering in the house, does the house still weigh 100 pounds?.

another game, you say?
here:
http://goofans.com/forum/goofans/goofans-game

-_-

MOM, this thread is OLD. Ron left months ago.

Kirdneh, that game is in no way related to 2DBOY. Just make sure you understand that.

oh, i didn't understand MOM's post correctly.

-_-

sequel is not the solution for it.

Um, what does that have to do with anything?

Just spam.

-_-

*BANNED*
the first guy, anyhoo. No answer when asked a question = probably spam.