Wanted: Experienced GooBall creators....

89 replies [Last post]

an ODE INTERNAL ERROR1 is popping up
it says:
'assertion"dMassCheck(mass)" failed in..\..\ode\src\ode.cpp:472

after clicking ok a runtime error pops up.

@goomatz
Yup that's what I got, but I figured I'd leave it in during the "Beta" phase... let people play around with it, see if maybe setting some other attribute gets past it.

My thinking is... if no one has found any way to use it by the end of the Beta Phase... I'll take it out.

On fallingattachment... hehe, that's quite cool watching the balloon get pulled along by the ball in the pipe. As noted in the description... was never used... maybe this is why.
But maybe we can find a way around it, or exploit it for a level.. Smile

Planning to release a new beta version soon... with most of the reported bugs fixed, new checks for crashes and problems, plus a couple of extras... Wink

Daft as Brush wrote:

My thinking is... if no one has found any way to use it by the end of the Beta Phase... I'll take it out.

I got it running. Glasses

Since this is the same error you get when you have a nonstatic geom and no mass I thought about adding a mass tag to the strand attributes. just added: 'mass="10" in the strand line. the result: the game is running. Big smile

Didn´t check the behavior yet, but will it poste soon.

edit:
the geom tag has to be true if not it crashes.

Ok they are like a rope, but the strands extends endless without breaking.

WooBLE always delete the mass when I´m changing other attributes. So I have to change the balls.xml manualy for further tests.

Dude! Excellent "shot in the dark" with the mass thing! Smile

Done a few of those myself with some of these new discoveries.. but that one just didn't occur to me.
I'm seeing the same thing as you... so far they act just the same as "spring" with springconst's set to like 0.0001

However, I've now added mass to the strands in the WooBLE model, so next beta release (soon) you'll be able to set it in the editor, and play around with anything else you might want to.

Hey, good work, goomatz! Smile
haven't tested it myself, but will now.

Can one of you think of a use, for which it was originally intended?
Also, I thought, rigid would be something solid, not rope-like?!

| Fly Her to the Moon (with Antigravity Goo) | Infinitive Windows Freezer (unlimited Goo playground) |

XDboy wrote:

Can one of you think of a use, for which it was originally intended?

I don´t know. maybe with some other settings you get some kind of bungeerope.
I will use this in my sequel level called keep on running.

XDboy wrote:

Also, I thought, rigid would be something solid, not rope-like?!

I thought that too and was surprised to see it`s behavior.Puzzled

well, i tested it, too, and found out (surprise, surprise!) negative mass values don't work! Wink (also antigrav does nothing on a strand. Laughing out loud )
and they just fall... indeed very rope like. i guess we're missing something.
or is there any sense in calling this rigid? (i'm not a native english speaker, so what do i know... Wink )

| Fly Her to the Moon (with Antigravity Goo) | Infinitive Windows Freezer (unlimited Goo playground) |

I'm native English, and it makes no sense at all. In fact, seems to be the opposite of "rigid" to me, (rigid = not being able to move at all...)
Nice work finding this, goomatz! Smile
Maybe a really high mass would make it not move as much...?

EDIT: Look what happens when the ball gets sucked in all the way!
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8589/ballglitch.png
Funny glitches, huh?

EDIT2: Seems like this causes the game to crash on certain instances, however.

ha. nice.^^

meanwhile, i can tell you more about what DOESN'T work to make rigid more rigid:
mass = 20; 200; 2000
in the strand tag:
solid="true"
rigidconstmin+max ( ="9" ) instead of spring...
the same amount on minlen maxlen1+2 and shrinklen
maxforce=20; 2000 ...

New BETA Version is UP! http://goofans.com/download/utility/world-of-goo-ball-editor

v0.11 Beta
* Some simple GUI interaction added
- Part graphics can be moved and scaled
- Part ranges can be moved and resized (Green and Orange Rectangles)
* Fix : Dirty status icon code moved to refresh timer.
* Fix: Bug in cloning where it sometimes only re-id's the first resource
* Change : Paste Here removed. Paste is still OK.
* autodisable now explained... moved to Behaviour Category
* mass attribute added to strands -  Required for testing rigid.
- Seems to have no effect on spring or rope

More Checks and warnings
* Now warns if ball name attribute is not an eXaCT match for Resources id.
- And will offer to correct it for you (on startup)
* Advice (on save) if no part called "body" was found
- WooGLE looks for a part called "body" to display the goo image.
* Advice (on save) regarding throw sound event
* towermass min_value removed... On save Critical warning if set to -1 -> 1
* Checks stacking=true vs shape=circle..  which crashes the game.
* Warning if strand minlen is larger than maxlen (causes games problems)
* Advice if strand burnspeed is set, but fireparticles is not.
* Advice if strand ignitedelay > ball burntime (means fire will not spread)

With the rigid strand, maybe an undefined spring constant is defaulting to 0, causing the bug? I'm going to test it with a spring constant of 10 to see if that works.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I'm beginning to think the rigid option might be "unuseable", don't let that stop you from trying, but....

Reading up on how the ODE engine actually works, it's got a section which talks about how you can create things that are "springy". The engine doesn't use "spring constants" directly, but the documentation does give you a couple of formulas to calculate the numbers it does use, from a spring constant and a damping factor.

The game exe must look at the "type" of the strand when does the calculations because rope has to act differently to spring. Rigid is a recognised type, but I suspect that because they never used it, they never put in the code to do the calculations for that type.
I might be wrong, and there might be some other unknown attribute which is used in the calculation for rigid.. and because we haven't found what its called yet it's always 0.

I opened the exe with xvi32, but didn't see anything else under "balls." Sad

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

@Daft
as a follow up to the comments here:
http://goofans.com/developers/game-file-formats/parts

feature request:
ways (buttons/shortcuts) to sort nodes/xml elements in both of your editors.

If anyone wants to look at these things inside the EXE that DaB keeps mentioning, make a copy of WorldOfGoo.exe, rename it to WorldOfGoo.txt, open it, and scroll down near the bottom. The part I'm referring to seems like a series of spaced-out, random words.

WorldofGoo.exe:
AVWinResourceLoader@Boy@@...AVTickableQueue@BoyLib@@... AVButtonWidget@Sexy@@....AVFModMusicInterface@Sexy@@... AVSexyAppBase@Sexy@@...AVSoundPlayer@Boy@@...

That's the PopCap game framework's name.

What? What name?

XDBOY wrote:
feature request: ways (buttons/shortcuts) to sort nodes/xml elements in both of your editors.

OK.. hang on....
tracing IP for user XDBoy.... Complete
breaching crappy Vista firewall.... Done
exploiting unpatched security hole .... Easy
uploading WooBLE patch file.... Finished

Right that should work now... try clicking the column headings on the tree view. Wink

Edit:
Not sure if you were talking about just "visual" sorting, or actually reorganising the XML...
First is apparently easy, and done already. The second may be somewhat problematic.
As we're finding with the Balls there are things that depend on the element order (part drawing, event sounds)... the same is true of levels.. there are XML elements that must appear in a particular order.
eg. Hinges must come AFTER the geometry objects they connect.
Allowing the user to click a button and "really" sort the XML tags could cause real problems.
Although I am considering something similar as a solution to the Ball Part / Layer issue.
My thought is...
Leave layer in, and add some notes to the description on the Parts page.
But make WooBLE reorganise the Part elements, into layer order when the XML file is saved.
This is how WooGLE currently "copes" with the hinge thing.

Laughing out loud ...yeah but no but yeah but i was talking about real sorting. because of the layer attribute that doesn't work, so reorganising the XML is what i meant. but you're right, where the game depends on it we can't let the user sort it... but THEN the editors should sort and view it automatically in the right order. (like when you add things like a strand, it shouldn't be added as the last node, but in it's "natural" place in the xml.)

if window 7?

Spongebob rulez too Crown Crown Crown Crown

Back

"if window(s ) 7?" what? where is the rest of that question?

Albino Pokey wrote:
If anyone wants to look at these things inside the EXE that DaB keeps mentioning, make a copy of WorldOfGoo.exe, rename it to WorldOfGoo.txt, open it, and scroll down near the bottom. The part I'm referring to seems like a series of spaced-out, random words.

Spongebob rulez too Crown Crown Crown Crown

Back

I did it on Windows 7. Here's the part I mean:

Quote:

throw drop marker pickup attach attachcloser detached snap death suction ignite extinguish detonate collidegeom collidesame collidediff /balls.xml res/balls/ .bin blinkcolor jump sticky stickyattached stickyunattached shape circle rectangle antigrav isantigravattached isantigravunattached mass thrust jumponwakeup maxattachspeed hingedrag alwayslookatmouse dragdampeningfactor maxdragforce stacking wakedist isbehindstrands hideeyes climber autoattach detonateradius detonateforce burntime autoboundsunattached autobounds suckable fallingattachment stuckattachment collidewithattached collideattached staticwhensleeping static grumpy dampening invulnerable detachable draggable speedvariance climbspeed walkspeed strands dragmass towermass spawn autodisable decay fling distantsounds walkforce material contains popsound popduration popparticles popdelay attenuationdeselect attenuationselect attenuationdrag attenuationdrop explosionparticles statescales part shadow image additive sinanim sinvariance sound event splat detachstrand maxlen rotspeed detach drag particles states overball freq amp shift maxforce maxlen1 minlen inactiveimage maxlen2 shrinklen thickness springconstmin springconstmax dampfac ignitedelay burnspeed fireparticles burntimage type spring rope rigid x y xrange yrange layer eye pupil pupilinset state sleeping rotate stretch scale translate axis walking climbing falling dragging attached standing pipe tank stuck stuck_attached stuck_detaching /resources.xml ball_ èô^ `E 0õ^ ¸E onfire xõ^ @ÀE Àõ^ €ÒE àÒE @ÓE ö^ PÓE res/levels/%s .level / res/levels/ strandgeom letterboxed timebugprobability allowskip texteffects cursor%dcolor retrytime textcolor zoomoutlimit visualdebug ballsrequired camera BallInstance Strand levelexit targetheight endonnogeom endonmessage delay endoncollision id1 id2 music loopsound depth fire radius rotation scalex scaley alpha colorize text SIGNPOST_BEAUTYANDTHETENTACLE_3 signpostAlert pulse signpost%d aspect widescreen normal endpos endzoom poi pos traveltime zoom angle discovered gb1 gb2 filter NORMAL Vertex Tö^ pÔE œö^ F .xml res/islands/island map icon depends oncomplete cutscene skipeolsequence ocd äö^ àF ,÷^ °F friction bounce bounceminvel stickiness t÷^ @%F ----- destroying scene factory: -----
scene template '%s' refcount=%d
-------------------------------------
scene_ .resrc .scene minx miny maxx maxy backgroundcolor SceneLayer label line compositegeom radialforcefield linearforcefield hinge slider motor button buttongroup enabled effect pretick overlay screenspace font align right center anim animspeed animdelay animloop tilex tiley tilecountx tilecounty context screen imagepos imagerot imagescale width collide contacts nogeomcollisions tag rock anchor forceatcenter forceatedge dampeningfactor rotationaldampeningfactor force geomonly water color body1 body2 histop lostop stoperp stopcfm speed osx visible latch onclick onmouseenter onmouseexit up armed over disabled down downarmed downover downdisabled tooltip textcolorup textcolorupover textcoloruparmed textcolorupdisabled textcolordown textcolordownover textcolordownarmed textcolordowndisabled ¼÷^ €,F IMAGE_GLOBAL_CLOUD_ISH IMAGE_GLOBAL_CLOUD1 IMAGE_GLOBAL_CLOUD2

WHAT!?!?!?!?!? Could you please figure out what all that text means and post it? Please? It might help those that don't understand text code that well (like me), and I'm only familiar with XML, HTML, and Ruby-on-Rails... not Python, C++, .EXE code... etc.

I'm playing Minecraft. My username is theMineMaster2. If you want to see my Cartoony mods updated, then be a Mac user and find a image editing program that isn't confusing for me Smile

It's more a list of allowed attributes than code.

New version 0.12 is up!
http://goofans.com/download/utility/world-of-goo-ball-editor

v0.12 Beta
* New: Sorts the elements into order on load and save
- Layers are sorted by the "layer" attribute
- Everything is rearranged into their "normal" places
* New: Visual Debug mode in Test Chamber - Toggle Button
* New: Show/Hide Buttons for "geom" (shape and ranges), strands, markers and shadows

Rigid strand discoveries:

High mass=low bounce, lots of earthquakes
Low mass=super bouncy
When I attached the Pokey to my 1-strand rigid Ivy as well as the triangle of Commons, it caused an earthquake and Goos went flying everywhere Smile

Sweet. Good work discovering all that, AP.
Goos flying everywhere... sounds like fun! Might even be useful in a level someplace. Wink

It seemed like the shaking bug...maybe it was caused by the spring constant of 100,000. Wink