Wanted: Experienced GooBall creators....

89 replies [Last post]

Wanted: Experienced GooBall creators to help Beta Test a new package.

I realise that's rather limiting the field, so actually looking for anyone who...

• has done more than just changed a couple of graphics on a ball.
  • OR wants to learn and is happy using the reference info and their brain to do that.
  • won't ask "How do I make it do this?" or "What does that mean?" .. every 5 minutes.
  • can diagnose problems and figure out what made the software / the game crash.

Sound like you? Want in? Then Post below...

I've been creating and debugging lots of new Goo Balls for my World of Goo-Another Planet package, and I've read those reference guides about the ball format!

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Oh, so you're making a ball editor? Wink
What? with a tabbed interface, you say? NO WAI!
It can produce goomods just like WooGLE? Awesome!
The parts and range-rectangles ar not draggable or resizable per mouse? Well, that's no biggy. That'll have to wait until the final version for the masses.
they WILL ask "How do I make it do this?" or "What does that mean?" .. every 5 minutes. and demand more interactivity. And Donuts. i can tell you that!

(sometimes i hear these voices in my head. We'll then talk about software that doesn't exist yet. It's fun. You should try it sometime.)

| Fly Her to the Moon (with Antigravity Goo) | Infinitive Windows Freezer (unlimited Goo playground) |

Daft as Brush you are awesome. Crown

Let me test it, i´ve done some try and error testing with balls.xml before the reference list has been updated. I have been playing around with burning, poping, antigravity and custom sounds a lot.

Goo Ball Editor... Is it the answer to my dream under WooGLE...?

I have created some interesting Goo Balls, and I knew most of ball attributes before your Reference Guide (that was needed at this site).
Now I think that my Spider Goo Ball is probably possible to make.

cool Daft as brush!

where that program?
i want to test it to my second "new gooball"!!!

Spongebob rulez too Crown Crown Crown Crown

Back

@"Most of you"
Just doing a few last things to the "alpha".. will probably release Beta tomorrow (maybe the day after)

@XDBoy
Tongue 'nuff said.

I would like to do this too, for I have made about 15 (possibly more) goo-balls while working for goo2. Please? Smile

OK.... HERE WE GO!

Since we can't do "restricted" areas on here, and I really can't be bothered setting up something to do logins and downloads and feedback somewhere else....

I'm making the Beta "Public"....
That said, you guys that have "signed up" will get priority, and I won't be afraid to delete or ignore off-topic or "noob" comments.

Please...
Read the description on the download page, and try to stick to it!
Also there's a Testers-Readme.txt in the install. It will automatically display at the end.
You don't HAVE to read it all then, but please take a look.

Ready?
http://goofans.com/download/utility/world-of-goo-ball-editor
GO! Smile

My first testing results:

If the stacking tag (goo interaction) is set true, the shape of the ball have to be a rectangle. If it´s a circle, the game crashes. WooBLE doesn´t detect this.

It would be helpful if:
-there is a "play with visualdebug" button for editing invisible Utility balls
-WooBLE suggest valid balls in the contains tag of a MOM Ball, like it does in the dispenser spawn tag.

The user should be warned of putting to much balls in a MOM Ball. This could slow down or crash WoG.

One question. How many decimal places are allowed in the game? In WooBLE they can be endless.

ARE FOR PLAYING THE TEST CHAMBER, WE NEED TO UPGRADE? Tired Tired Tired Tired

Back

@goomatz
Re: Stacking vs Circles - Great! Smile This is exactly the sort of thing we want to find!
Re: MOM Ball - How many is TOO many?

@qwsx
Yup... Windows Users need the v1.3 patch... same as WooGLE.

Daft as Brush wrote:
@goomatz

Re: MOM Ball - How many is TOO many?

I think this depends on the system (graphic crad etc.) on which the game is running. Like WoGCorp is limited on 300 Goo Balls. My system slow down with about 100 balls containing.
I will check for more detailed information.

@goomatz
how the system copes with it, will also depend on the kind of ball that is contained.
(open the 100 Ball test with my xdb_water_agrav balls from fhttmoon and you'll know what i mean. Wink 3 words: intense particle effects)

| Fly Her to the Moon (with Antigravity Goo) | Infinitive Windows Freezer (unlimited Goo playground) |

@DaB:can you give me you world of goo patched(just app, not data too)? coz anyway i patch my wog its still none happen!

Back

Did you patch your modded, WooGLE, or normal version?

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

Hmm.. I was musing about creating something like this over the summer...
Of course, yours already looks better than my ideas for mine!
I found a nice free sound playing library for .oggs, but some "preview sound" functionality really wouldn't be needed because of your save and play level functionality... Let me know if you're interested anyway.

Some music players CAN play .ogg, but not all, so if you want to listen to a .ogg at anytime, then I recommend you get Audacity. GOOgle it. Wink

I meant playing .ogg sounds from within WOOBLE. (Sound-playing library, not program). The library is in C++, however, not Python. I could create a command-line-playing stub program really easily if you want, DaB.

Oh, then forget what I said. Tongue

@AlbinoPokey : such all(except wooGLE for sure).

Back

@MOM4evr
I agree, being able to play sounds would be a benefit to WooBLE, and I'm not above using an external app to do it. However it would pretty much "kill" the cross-platform thing, if it could only do it using a windows exe.
Allegedly there's a module in the Python QT libraries that can play all sorts of different sound files, but I've not investigated it. I think if that works, it'll be better 'cos it should work on Linux and Mac too. But if all else fails....

@qwsx
Most reliable way I've found is just patch your "original" game folder, then run GooTool and click Save. It will copy all the patched files over to your modded directory.
PS. You did get the Full Version, yes? And you're not trying to use the demo...

yup dab!
but first (of all), i changed the directory of wog! are that matter?
& how to patching wog? are merge the wog's res with the patch res?

Back

qwsx wrote:
yup dab!
but first (of all), i changed the directory of wog! are that matter?
& how to patching wog? are merge the wog's res with the patch res?

Get the patch here.... http://www.worldofgoo.com/dl2.php?lk=patch
When you run it is asks you where you installed the game.. change it to match where you have WoG.
The patch overwrites some files, and adds some new files...
But don't worry... GooTool will copy everything you need to your modded folder.

DaB: Ah, yes, I totally forgot about the whole cross-platform deal. My mistake. Good luck with getting that Python sound module library working.

the wog folder(i mean is are the wog folder OR the folder before wog(usually Program files(window only)))?

Back

Can I beta test?

@nalar: anyone is can be a beta-test!(see #8)
@DaB: HELLO, CAN YOU AWNSER MY QUESTION???

Back

@qwsx
"the wog folder?" is NOT a question I can answer.
If you're having trouble installing the patch.. please start a new thread and ask a better question. Thanks.

I found another crash.
In the strand attributes you can choose the type: rigid.
I select it to check what it´s like, but it crashes the game.

And there is a bug with fallingattachment. If it´s set true, the ball can be sucked even if a ballon is attached to it. It will also be sucked in when it´s falling near the pipe and the player just holds a ballon near it(when the inactive strand shows up).
edit: maybe this could be usefull for new level design. Cool

rigid is a strand type that DaB found - it wasn't used in the game, but he put it in the editor, so we can test if there's a way to make it work.