Beta Testing Signup Form!

97 replies [Last post]

Well, I'm officially jelly.

Yaix, I just checked my e-mail and I got selected too.
I first thought I wasn't because somehow the mail was in the spam folder.

Anyone else a bit disappointed by the combo system?

Check out my SoundCloud, MomoSoundWaves

MOM4Evr wrote:

Ditto. They may still be picking people though. Either way it's about a month till release anyway, if not less. And we get it a week early!

puggsoy wrote:
MOM4Evr wrote:

Ditto. They may still be picking people though. Either way it's about a month till release anyway, if not less. And we get it a week early!

Ditto.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

(Yeah, I didn't get mine either...)

Kyle wrote:
If you are receiving this email, it means you are one of a small handful of
unfortunate players selected for the first beta round.

It's just the first round and maybe some are still in the process of being selected.

There's still hope!

OHMAN I GOT IT.

Must... play... right... now...

i wuntit too!

Any word from DavidC and infernofans.com ?

My Gooish profile | Videos on YouTube | My WOG Mods

Not much that I've seen on IRC, but xanax was on a few days back and davidc and him were talking about it (Oct 19, if you want to read the logs). Looks hopeful.

kfyaegfjdshbvc

Got it this morning. And says it's still from the first round too.

As soon as I'm done with school today WHAM I'm gonna play it till midnight.

Haha, I knew it, did you guys volunteer for translation?

Nope. I just got lucky, really.

I did Laughing out loud Not sure if that was a factor, but I hope I get the chance to help with it!

I did, but I doubt they'll want their game to be in classical Latin.

Another Planet finally has an official release! Download chapters 1 through 3 here! Thank you for waiting so long while I kept starting over.

I.
Want.
IIIINNNNNFFFFOOOOO!!!

-_-

We really can't say anything. The most you'll get is here, but in my opinion even that is a lot.

Good news everyone! (in a Professor Frarnsworth voice from Futurama)

Kyle wrote:
I think they game would be very moddable. When we get a moment to relax after release, we're going to try and open it up a bit more for anyone who might want to try building mod tools.

I think we'll be able to get cracking on tools as soon as soon as us pre-orderers get the finished version of Little Inferno. David?

I was pretty much expecting this. I mean since the only real link between WoG and Little Inferno is Kyle (Gabler), who doesn't really do any coding, I'm sure the structure of the two games will be different. But I think from seeing how much GooFans has been able to achieve they'd like to see what people can do with modding Little Inferno. I know I do!

It's good to hear they're into it though, instead of us having to break apart the game ourselves. They might even provide official modding tools!

I'm really curious about the game's structure too!

Hmm, I took a poke around and didn't find out much.

inside the Steam folder, there's only two files:
steam_api.dll
Little Inferno.exe
It seems that all the game's resources are packed into the executable, which makes modding pretty insanely impossible for now. I think Steam downloads the original executable again if you hexedit it or try to alter anything, so that's a no-go there as well.

I extracted the executable's contents with 7-zip and poked around a bit, but nothing is in a recognizable file format, at least that I can tell. Maybe I'll open up Linux and poke at it a bit, since Linux looks at file headers rather than extensions to determine what the file is.

One thing that I did manage to get, though, was the icon for the program (Since every Windows executable has this in the same location, it's not surprising that 7-zip could extract this). It's a standard 256x256 Windows icon. Here's a PNG conversion of it:

*shrinks down a bit and replaces avatar*

WOO I JUST GOT IT! It got caught in my spam filter somehow!

I also extracted it as a 7zip before but all files just end in a . and can't be opened with anything I tried so far.

I think since it's beta they haven't bothered arranging and organising the files, they probably just shoved it all into the .exe. In the final release they'll probably make it more moddable.

I want to make an avatar of... a character from the game, but I think it'd count as a spoiler. Guess I'll use what everyone's seen then Laughing out loud

Maybe ResourceHacker will work better, it tries to automatically guess filetypes and show previews. I'll try it once I beat the game...

fifty or more times...

I shall, then! Laughing out loud

Some interesting highlights:
-The company name for the executable is "Experimental Gameplay Group LLC". I wonder if Kyle originally created Little Inferno for the Experimental Gameplay Project, but just never released it, or if it's actually based off one of his experimental games...
-This is version 0.4 of the game
-ResourceHacker displays every other file as hex, so that's still a no-go there.

Oh, and savegame location isn't in the same place, either. In Win7, it's in "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Little Inferno", which is STILL a very bad place to put it. But anyways, now we're in AppData/Roaming instead of AppData/Local.

There are two files for the savegame: profile.bin and imagecache.bin, both encrypted/compressed somehow, as far as I can tell. All the profiles you have are stored in these two files, kind of like how World of Goo works. I've tried decrypting them with GooTool for kicks, and nope, that doesn't work either.

Of course, any of these files could be just raw data. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the savegames are stored, anyway. But I would imagine the resources for the game would be compressed or encrypted somehow. After all, 170 MB is a really small resource size for any game with 32-bit artwork.

if its a bin. file, try to rename it to txt. and see what you got

All my addin | I love you World of Goo!

The hexeditors I use will display text in ASCII if valid characters appear. They're definitely not text files; that's the first thing I tried.